Honored Contributor

Re: KALE...TERRIBLE...WHAT TO DO WITH IT...HELP

[ Edited ]

@Flatbush  You'd have to give me a LOT of money to eat that nasty stuff. I'll stick with Romaine and green leaf lettuce, thank you very much.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Kale used to be a big part of our guinea  pigs diet, but even they refuse to eat it now!   A big NO for me.

My farm grandma did her best to get me to eat spinach and rhubarb, and I just never could stomach either.   Am not a fan of leafy greens, period; I don't consume much lettuce either.   

Honored Contributor

In a salad (make sure you get rid of the hard rib)

Kale Chips

Copycst Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana 

Honored Contributor

@Flatbush   After all the comments, I hope you still have the courage to try the salad I posted.....I think you might be surprised how good it tastes.  I don't know if you like smoothies, but it is another way to ingest kale nutritionally....just add your fruit, plant milk, and don't forget a banana....you won't taste the kale at all.

The only time I met a green I didn't care for was injesting wheat grass.  Freshly grown, cut, and juiced daily as much as you wanted and could tolerate. ( I was at a health institue for a couple of weeks.)  The wheat grass, now, that was a challenge.

I eat tons of produce...all highly nutritious and delicious.  I wouldn't eat something I didn't enjoy.  I crave my salads and veggie dishes and so does my family.  Most people's taste buds are warped by the oil, sugar, and salt.  It takes a while to adjust and appreciate whole foods.  Your preparation does matter and lack of it sometimes is the best (sometimes I just grate an apple and slice a banana, add a few chopped walnuts....pour a little maple syrup over the top...pure goodness).  Best of luck and I hope you find kale to be a friendSmiley Wink

Respected Contributor

@Flatbush I love Kale in soups. In fact, that is the only way I eat kale.  Saute some onions, and then some cut up chicken sausage in olive oil, then add chicken broth, after it boils, add kale, cook for 15 minutes then you can also add a can of chick peas, cook for 10 more minutes.  It is a very dilicious soup.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee   I love Food to Live.  My sprouts seeds are ordered from them...don't you love the packaging.  I order directly.

@SilleeMee wrote:

I like the health benefits of kale but I don't like the taste of it so I buy dried kale powder and then add that to other more tasty things in my diet. Right now I'm using this organic brand, Food to Live, from Amazon.

Kale Powder, 8 Ounces - Made from Raw Dried Whole Leaves, Kosher, Vegan, Bulk, Great for Baking, Juices, Smoothies, Shake...

Honored Contributor

I grew up eating greens, but I can't stand kale! If a recipe calls for it I will substitute. If I can't substitute I won't make it. I just don't like it.

Luckily DH feels the same way! We both love spinach- raw and cooked, and I introduced him to other greens. He likes those!   Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

My favorite Kale recipe is pretty simple.

• Wash Kale thoroughly and shake off excess water
  • Open Trash Can
  • Insert Kale
Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love this salad and make it about once a month or so when my dils come over for lunch. I versioned this from a recipe I saw on the internet. I just use a bottle of Panera Poppy Seed dressing I get in the produce department. The sweetness of the salad dressing plays well w/ the kale. It is a delicious and crunchy salad. You wouldn't have to put in bacon, you could use roasted chicken breast or go w/o protein.

You can make this is a big bowl ahead of time if you want and then add dressing right before serving. What I do is toss equal parts of the kale and the romaine (sometime I use bibb lettuce) in my salad spinner. Then I lay the kale/lettuce onto a chilled plate and top the rest of the ingredients on the salad like you would say a Cobb salad. Then I put the dressing into a gravy boat and let people put on the amount of dressing they like. You can't really go wrong, except by putting on the dressing too early. I hate whimpy/wilted salads.

Kale salad w/ Bacon

Kale– You want to use fresh kale for this salad and be sure to slice as thin as you can.

Romaine– Fresh romaine adds crispness.

Cheese–Feta cheese.

Onion– Red onion

Pecans– Halved or chopped (candied pecans are also delish too)

Mandarin Oranges– Canned in juice (drain juice) or fresh

Bacon– Cooked bacon crumbles

Sunflowers– Salted or unsalted sunflower seeds

Craisins–  Low sugar craisens

Dressing– Poppy Seed Dressing

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Trusted Contributor

If eating in a salad, tear or slice into small pieces and massage it using your fingers with some olive oil.  That makes it a bit softer and less bitter.  I like it in salad with dried cranberries, beats, orange wedges and blue cheese.  Then I make a dressing with olive oil, apple cider vinegar, a little dijon mustad and either maple syrup or agave to sweeten just a bit.

It's also good in soup or smoothies.  I drink a green smoothie every morning -- coconut water (or regular water), spinach or kale, pineapple, banana, celery and green apple.