Respected Contributor

Just wondering have you ever made biscuits with bacon grease?

[ Edited ]

Watching Good Eats Reloaded about biscuits. Alton used lard and butter. His real grandmother just used shortening . I have used lard and have used shortening. Got lots of stained bacon grease in the refrigerator.  Gonna have to try using bacon grease to make biscuits.

Honored Contributor

Re: Just wondering have you ever made

@Barbarainnc wrote:

biscuits using bacon grease? Watching Good Eats Reloaded about biscuits. Alton used lard and butter. His real grandmother just used shortening . I have used lard and have used shortening. Got lots of stained bacon grease in the refrigerator.  Gonna have to try using bacon grease to make biscuits.

@Barbarainnc  My grandmother had the reputation for making the best biscuits in the county and she used recycled bacon grease.  She strained it well.

Valued Contributor

Re: Just wondering have you ever made biscuits with bacon grease?

@Barbarainnc wrote:

Watching Good Eats Reloaded about biscuits. Alton used lard and butter. His real grandmother just used shortening . I have used lard and have used shortening. Got lots of stained bacon grease in the refrigerator.  Gonna have to try using bacon grease to make biscuits.

I think it'd be great - just another form of lard.  I just don't seem to be able to stockpile any bacon grease lately Smiley Sad  the bacon lately doesn't seem to have any grease to it and I'm just not making bacon enough lately!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Just wondering have you ever made biscuits with bacon grease?

I watched that Reload show tonight as well; loved the way Ma Mae worked the dough with her hands, no rolling pin.   

My family made biscuits with lard until Crisco shortening became the rave.   Everyone had their container of bacon grease, but it was used in the cornbread, to fry potatoes, grease potatoes to bake, season pots of beans, season the cooked cabbage, turnips, greens, and other vegetables.    

I never once saw any of my family use bacon grease in the biscuits.   They bought lard in a plastic pail.