2 Lbs ground beef
1 Green pepper chopped
1 29 oz tomato sauce
1 29 oz diced tomatoes
2 Cubes beef bouillon
1/4 Cup of packed brown sugar
2 Tsp soy sauce
2 Cups cooked white rice
In a dutch oven brown beef over medium heat, drain off all fat. Add pepper to the ground beef and sauté for 3 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes with juice, bouillon cubes, brown sugar, salt and soy sauce. Reduce heat to low cover and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes. Stir in rice until heated through.
Serves: 10
I don't add my rice to the soup, I add rice to the bowl and pour my soup over it, because if any is left over and you reheat, the rice is too overdone for me. I take my leftover rice out and let it get almost room temp and pour my hot leftover soup over top.
Respected Contributor

Re: Just looking at some older recipes on here (soup) & for left-over turkey

HAM AND POTATO SOUP makingmemories

Ingredients
  • 3 1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
  • 1/3 cup diced celery
  • 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
  • 3/4 cup diced cooked ham
  • 3 1/4 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
  • 1 teaspoon ground white or black pepper, or to taste
  • 5 tablespoons butter
  • 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups milk

I add Great Northern white beans to mine.

Directions

1. Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the chicken bouillon, salt and pepper.
  2. In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour with a fork, and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk as not to allow lumps to form until all of the milk has been added. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick, 4 to 5 minutes.
  3. Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot, and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately.

I use my leftover ham from the holidays to make this soup. Definitely a heart warming meal. I do have to thicken it up by either by adding more flour or I smash some of the potatoes or use some instant potato flakes

Respected Contributor

Sweet Russian Cabbage Soup POSTED BY LAVENDERSAGE
May 2, 2009 1:41 AM

I haven't tried it with the beef but I will. I thought it was kind of gross putting the meat in raw but it was good.~recipe from allrecipes

Sweet Russian Cabbage Soup

1 ½ pounds ground lean beef ( I only had 1 lb.ground turkey and it was good)
1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
4 cubes beef bouillon OR EQUIVALENT IN LOW SODIUM GRANULES
2 medium carrots, shredded or sliced thin
1 OR 2 onions, chopped
2 T white RICE vinegar or 3
½ cup white sugar- I used ¼ cup
1 ½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. black pepper
2 quarts water, divided (I used 3-4 cans of beef and chicken broth, maybe a little water~ can’t recall... I like to mix the broths and I didn’t add the bouillon)

2 cloves garlic, minced 1 head cabbage, cored and cut into wedges

Crumble beef into large pot. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, bouillon, carrots, onion, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Pour in 1 quart of water and bring to a boil. Stir to break up the beef while heating. Once the soup comes to a boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes over low heat.
Pour in another quart of water and return to a slow boil. Add garlic and cabbage. Simmer 25 minutes, until cabbage is tender.

Respected Contributor

Cindy's Awesome Clam Chowder serves 3 or 4

By: Cindy in Pensacola
"A wonderful clam chowder to serve with hot sourdough bread, or even better yet, in a sourdough bread bowl. My whole family adores this recipe, I'm sure yours will too!"
ingredients
1/2 pound bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 medium to large onion coarsely chopped
5 unpeeled potatoes(but scrubbed), diced
2 carrots, scrubbed and diced
1 or 2 celery stalks, cleaned and diced(opt)
salt and pepper to taste
4 (6.5 ounce) cans chopped clams with juice(save juice to cook potatoes)
2 (1.8 ounce) packages Knorr dry leek soup mix
1 quart half-and-half
Directions
  1. Place the bacon and onion in a large pot and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until crisped and browned, about 10 minutes. Remove the bacon and onions with a slotted spoon, leaving the drippings in the pot. Set the bacon and onion aside. Stir the potatoes, carrots and celery if using into the bacon fat. Season with salt and pepper, and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently.
  2. Pour the juice from the clams into the pot, and add enough water(or better yet, low sodium chicken broth or even more clam juice, better flavor than adding water) to just cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the potatoes are just tender, don't let get mushy, 10 to 15 minutes tops.
  3. Gently stir the leek soup mix into the potatoes until no lumps of soup remain. Stir in the clams, reserved bacon, and half-and-half cream. Cook and stir until the chowder returns to a simmer and thickens, about 10 minutes more.
  4. Serve with crispy Italian or French bread and a salad if really hungry.
by Cindy in Pensacola
Yummm, I love this! Instead of cooking the potatoes in the water I use 2 bottles of clam juice(some prefer low sodium chicken broth to cook the potatoes in). Makes it more clammy. I had submitted this about 7 years ago and I've changed it a bit since then. Still using the Knorr Brand Leek Soup mix.
Respected Contributor

SHRIMP SOUP Spirit01

2 lbs. shrimp, cooked and peeled

4 T. butter

1 quart - milk

1 pint - cream

2 T. flour

1 T. sherry, (more if desired, to taste)

Salt and pepper to taste

Grind shrimp and place with milk in top of double-boiler over hot water. Cook for 25 minutes. Blend butter, flour, salt, pepper and cream to a smooth paste. Remove shrimp and milk from heat and to it add the paste. Return to heat and stir to thickened and piping hot. Add sherry just before serving.

Respected Contributor

After Thanksgiving Turkey Soup (From Taste of Home)
denisemb
TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours + cooling
MAKES: 16 servings

Ingredients

1 leftover turkey carcass (from a 12 to 14-pound turkey)
3 medium onions, chopped
2 large carrots, diced
2 celery ribs, diced
1 cup butter, cubed
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups half-and-half cream
1 cup uncooked long grain rice
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
3/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions

Place turkey carcass in a soup kettle or Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Remove carcass; cool. Set aside 3 qt. broth. Remove turkey from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; set aside.

In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, sauté the onions, carrots and celery in butter until tender. Reduce heat; stir in flour until blended. Gradually add 1 qt. of reserved broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.

Add cream, rice, salt, bouillon, pepper, remaining broth and reserved turkey. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until rice is tender. Yield: 16 servings (about 4 quarts).

Respected Contributor

Asparagus Leek Soup Recipe forrestwolf

Ingredients

3 large leeks, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces

1 large onion, chopped

3 tablespoons butter

4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced

3 medium carrots, thinly sliced

1 teaspoon salt

2-1/2 quarts chicken broth

1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice

1 pound fresh asparagus, but into 1-inch pieces

1/2 pound fresh spinach, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1 cup heavy whipping cream

Directions

In a Dutch oven, sauté leeks and onion in butter until tender. Add the potatoes, carrots, salt, broth and rice. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes. Stir in asparagus.

Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add the spinach, pepper and cream; heat through.

Respected Contributor

Zuppa Toscana could be Lavendersage?

1 pound Italian sausage
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (I use less)

6 slices bacon, torn or cut into smaller pieces
1 large onion, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 (32 oz.) carton chicken broth (add a can of broth if needed)
6 potatoes, thinly sliced with skin on..russet or Yukon gold are good
1 cup half n half
3 cups of kale, in bite size pieces

Black pepper to taste
top with grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Remove the Italian sausage from casings and brown with red pepper flakes in a large pot. Drain and set aside.
Cook the bacon in the same pot until crisp. Remove and set aside. Drain, reserve about 2 tablespoons of drippings. Stir in the onions and cook until onions are soft, about 5 minutes, add the garlic the last minute.
Pour the chicken broth into the pot along with the onion and garlic; bring to a boil.
Add the potatoes, and cook until tender, about 20 minutes on medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the half n half, cooked sausage, black pepper and bacon- heat through but don't boil.
Add the kale and let cook until desired tenderness...5-10 minutes.
~grate Parmesan cheese on top of servings

Respected Contributor

ZUPPA TOSCANA(like the Olive Garden soup)JeanLouise­Finch

1 lb.. ground Italian sausage
1½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 large diced white onion
4 tbsp. bacon pieces
1 ½ - 2 tsp. minced garlic (real thing, not dried flakes or powder)
10 cups water
5 cubes of chicken bouillon
1 cup heavy cream (whipping cream)
1 lb. sliced unpeeled Russet potatoes, or about 3 large potatoes
¼ of a bunch of fresh kale – rinse well to get the sand off

Sauté Italian sausage and crushed red pepper in a skillet. Drain the excess fat. Refrigerate meat while you prepare other ingredients. In the same skillet, gently sauté bacon, onions and garlic for approximately 15 mins. or until the onions are soft. In a large pot, mix together the chicken bouillon and water, then add the onions, bacon and garlic mixture. Bring to a boil. Add potatoes, return to boil, then reduce to simmer, and cook until soft – about 30 minutes . Add heavy cream and stir to combine. Stir in the sausage and cook until everything heats through. Add kale right before you’re ready to serve and just cook long enough to wilt the kale (only a couple of minutes).

Garnish each serving with Parmesan Cheese - optional

My Notes:

·I add a little more sausage than required.

·Red potatoes work fine, if you don’t have Russets

·If you can’t find kale, fresh spinach is a fine substitute

Respected Contributor

Chicken Pot Pie by Ties

3 chicken breasts, cooked
1 c. sliced carrots
1 c. sliced celery
3 med. potatoes, chopped and peeled
1 c. frozen corn, thawed
1 c. frozen peas, thawed
3/4 c. whipping cream
1 1/4 c. milk
5 tbsp. butter
1/3 c. flour

Boil chicken; season with parsley, thyme, onion, pepper, reserve broth and cut chicken up. Put carrots, celery, and potatoes in large pot. Cover with broth (may need to add water) add 1 chicken bouillon cube. Cover and simmer 10 minutes; drain vegetables, reserving broth.
In large saucepan melt butter, stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in cream, milk, and broth. Cook stirring constantly, just to boiling; pour over vegetables. Stir in chicken, peas, and corn. Pour mixture into 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
For crust: use 1 1/2 cups Bisquick (may need 2 cups) and 1 cup plain yogurt or sour cream. Mix together; pat out on large piece of waxed paper. Then transfer to top of pie. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.Love,Ties