Honored Contributor

Re: Just got an electric smoker. Any recipes/tips appreciated!

@nanny24 @One thing to note is not too much smoke.A friend gave me some ribs and omg the smoke taste was overwhelming.I could still smell smoke on my fingers the next day.My son is really great at smoking meats but he says it’s a bit of learning curve...what flavors and how much smoke you like.If you do ribs be sure to take the membrane off from underneath and trim off the nasty brown parts of the meat.Season with a rub using a heavy hand as it drips off during cooking.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@nanny24 wrote:

Thank you, Sooner, we have a pork roast in the freezer. Do you use yours on your patio or porch? Does it smoke a lot? The instructions say to not use it under a roof, but other than our patio, it would have to be in the yard. LOL!!

@nanny24 

We use ours out back on our covered patio. I don't know why you cannot use it under a roof. Our patio is not enclosed.

Dh uncovers it rolls it where he wants to use it.

No it does not smoke a lot like a traditional offset smoker.

You can control your smoke or how much smoke flavor in your food with the amount of wood chips you use.

DH has been buying wood chips at Academy Sports. He said they have a good price.

Go to mrecipes dot com to see lots of Masterbuilt Smoker recipes.

@Nightowlz 

Yup!  We do!  Did it for 8 years at the previous house too.  Have never had an issue.  DH has one of those remotes to check the temp...and both garages are attached, so we are right there should there be an issue.

@nanny24 

I echo @mustang66lady 

gotta have those gloves...and we also use those bear claw shredders.  Giant claws on long handles to shread the pork...we do alot of pulled pork.  They are not very expensive.

Amazon has great prices and I have seen them at Lowes as well.

Oh and @mustang66lady  has a great smoked corn recipe if you are interested!!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@nanny24 wrote:

Thank you, Sooner, we have a pork roast in the freezer. Do you use yours on your patio or porch? Does it smoke a lot? The instructions say to not use it under a roof, but other than our patio, it would have to be in the yard. LOL!!

@nanny24 

We use ours out back on our covered patio. I don't know why you cannot use it under a roof. Our patio is not enclosed.

Dh uncovers it rolls it where he wants to use it.

No it does not smoke a lot like a traditional offset smoker.

You can control your smoke or how much smoke flavor in your food with the amount of wood chips you use.

DH has been buying wood chips at Academy Sports. He said they have a good price.

Go to mrecipes dot com to see lots of Masterbuilt Smoker recipes.

@Nightowlz 

Yup!  We do!  Did it for 8 years at the previous house too.  Have never had an issue.  DH has one of those remotes to check the temp...and both garages are attached, so we are right there should there be an issue.

@nanny24 

I echo @mustang66lady 

gotta have those gloves...and we also use those bear claw shredders.  Giant claws on long handles to shread the pork...we do alot of pulled pork.  They are not very expensive.

Amazon has great prices and I have seen them at Lowes as well.

Oh and @mustang66lady  has a great smoked corn recipe if you are interested!!

@RespectLife @nanny24 @mustang66lady 

Masterbuilt has a yummy smoker mac n' cheese recipe.

You can also make it in the oven.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nanny24 @RespectLife 

Found this Burnt Ends Boston Butt Bites recipe on the Masterbuilt site. DH will be off Jul 3rd thru the 15th so we are going to try this recipe. We are also going to make another whole chicken plus bbq wings so we are not in the kitchen cooking & cleaning every day he's off. LOL!!!

INGREDIENTS
  • 3-4 lb boneless Boston butt
  • Mustard to taste
  • BBQ rub to taste (your favorite kind)
  • Butter
  • Honey to taste
  • Brown sugar to taste
  • BBQ sauce to taste
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Preheat the smoker to 250°F.
  2. Trim the fat off the meat. In an aluminum pan, coat the meat with mustard and rub.
  3. Smoke for 2-3 hours or until the internal temperature is 160°F .
  4. Cut the meat into 1 in x 1 in cubes and place in a new aluminum pan.
  5. Pour some, not all, of the juice on top of the meat. Put 5-6 pats of butter on top. Drizzle with honey and BBQ sauce to taste. Sprinkle brown sugar on top.
  6. Wrap the top of the pan in aluminum foil and smoke for an additional 90 minutes.
  7. Remove foil and stir. Remove excess juice and drizzle more BBQ sauce on top.
  8. Increase the temperature to 350°F for propane or 275°F for electric. Smoke for 30 minutes to caramelize the BBQ sauce.
  9. Stir and enjoy!

Burnt-Ends-720x480.jpg

Honored Contributor

Thank you @Nightowlz 

We did try burnt ends!  While ours were not as 'burnt' carmelized as we would like, it was delicious!

I found a small butt at Aldi's.

Trusted Contributor

@nanny24 I just like a good rib rub which you can purchase at your grocery store, or online.  I smoke low and slow.  With ribs I flip them over before putting the rub on and pull the white membrane off the back of the rack of ribs.  Then I put on my rub on both sides and smoke on the grate for 3 hours, take them off and wrap them in foil after I pour about 1-2 cups of apple juice on the ribs and seal the foil and put them back on for 2 hrs, then I take them out of the foil and put bbq sauce on and smoke them for about 1 hr more.

Super Contributor

Hayseed0, I never heard about the apple juice. Is that to tenderize or to keep moist?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nanny24 The apple juice tenderizes the meat.  I always use this method when I smoke ribs.