Esteemed Contributor

Jamaican bean and vegetable soup for slow cooker

got this recipe from Healthy Slow Cooker Cook Book. i made some changes I will share at the end.

Jamaican bean and vegetable soup

2 1/2 cups vegetable broth fat free low sodium

1- 15.5 oz can no salt added red kidney or black beans rinsed and drained

1- 14.5 oz can no salt added diced tomatoes undrained

1 medium sweet potato peeled and cut into one inch cubes

2 medium carrots cut crosswise into 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces

1/2 medium red bell pepper chopped

2 medium garlic cloves minced

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

In slow cooker stir together all ingredients, Cook covered, on low for 5 to 5 hours or on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

I doubled this recipe, I added 2 cans beans, 2 cans fire roasted tomatoes, 2 sweet potatoes, 4 carrots, 3 celery stalks, whole red pepper, whole onion, 1/2 bag broccoli slaw, 1/2 bag of shaved brussels sprouts. I doubled the spices. I did not double the broth, I added about 4 cups. I cooked it in crock for 8 hours on high. I served it with a small salad and some good crusty bread. Yum!

Valued Contributor

Re: Jamaican bean and vegetable soup for slow cooker

This sounds so interesting and tasty, digo. Thank you for posting!

Trusted Contributor

What size slow-cooker did you use? Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a big one maybe 6 qt. it's oval shaped. It was tasty. If you don't double use the smaller crock pot 4qt.
Trusted Contributor

That sounds so good! Perfect for this bitter cold weather. I have everything on hand but the sweet potato. Weather's too bad to go out. I'm going to try it with a regular baking potato. Thanks for sharing, OP!

Esteemed Contributor

Digo,

Thank you so much for not only sharing the recipe, but your amendments as well. I love it when someone takes a recipe and adds their own touches.

We moved to "soup country" several months ago, so have started using my crock pot like nobody's business. However, I've found that finding tasteful and hearty recipes can be a challenge. Have made a number that sort of come off real blah.

Am really pleased to try this on DH, as he hates vegetables. I do believe I can get veggies into him via this soup and have him love it. Thanks so much!

- R

Esteemed Contributor

Rowan72 and sfnative I hope you like this soup. We are finishing the leftovers tonight. I was glad I doubled it. Stay warm, it's fold here in Pa.
Trusted Contributor

My family and I did enjoy the soup, digo! I can imagine that with the sweat potato it will be that much richer and more flavorful. I will make it again soon - and double it. Thanks again! Smile

Super Contributor

Digo, I tried this according to your ammendments and it was a huge success! I did leave out the red pepper as I did not have one but, otherwise, followed your suggested changes completely. It is always nice to see recipes that are not "pumped up" with sugar or an "excess" of carb's or fats. Thanks for sharing!

Esteemed Contributor

Q-Checker I am so happy you liked it! I am always so weary of posting recipes, I would not want to be responsible for anyone wasting time and money for something they did not like. This cookbook I got this recipe from has some nice heart healthy recipes in it. Enjoy your day.