Honored Contributor

Re: JUNE RECIPE EXCHANGE GAME 2015

[ Edited ]

I've never made these, always opting for something healthier, but they look yummy.

Batter dipped fried green beans - the Neelys

Ingredients

Peanut oil, for frying
1 cup beer
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt, plus more for seasoning
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
1 pound green beans, ends trimmed
Directions

Preheat oil to 375 degrees F.

Whisk the beer, flour, salt and pepper until smooth.

Dip green beans into batter to coat, letting excess drip off. Fry in the peanut oil in batches, until they are golden and crisp. Remove from oil with a spider strainer to a paper towel lined sheet tray. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Next ingredient: Hard boiled eggs

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Beet Salad

Chop pickled beets and arrange in lettuce cup. 

Cover with olives cut in large pieces,
a spoonful of mayo
and then cover with chopped hard cooked egg.

Next ingredient:  Onions

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was reading some old Recipe Swap threads and saw a thread about a "Secret Ingredient Onion Dip."  The secret was caramelizing the onions -- this recipe came from the Gooseberry Patch web site.

Caramelized Vidalia Onion Dip

2 T. butter
3 Vidalia or other sweet onions, thinly sliced
8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
8 oz. pkg. Swiss Cheese, shredded
1 c. grated Parmesan Cheese
1 c. mayonnaise
sweet potato chips

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add sliced onions. Cook, stirring often, 30 to 40 minutes or until onions are caramel colored. Combine onions, cheeses and mayonnaise, stirring well. Spoon dip into a lightly greased 1-1/2 to 2 quart casserole dish. Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Serve with sweet potato chips. Makes 4 cups.

ETA:  Personally I add a little oil to the butter to lessen the chance of burning.  After caramelizing, I chop the onions into small pieces before making the dip for less messy dipping.

Next Ingredient:  Fresh or Frozen Corn Kernels

Trusted Contributor

Classic Succotash
Ingredients

2 cups fresh shelled butter or lima beans
Kosher salt
2 large ears fresh corn (about 2 cups)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 minced country ham
Directions
Place butter beans in large saucepan. Cover with water; add about 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Bring to boiling. Skim surface until clear. Cook, partially covered, 30 to 40 minutes, until tender. Strain beans into sieve. Set aside.
Shuck corn. Using clean terry cloth kitchen towel gently rub corn to remove silks. Using sharp knife, cut corn kernels from cobs.
In large skillet heat butter over medium-high heat until melted and foaming. Add corn. Lightly season with salt and pepper, stirring to coat corn in butter. Cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add beans. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Cook 1 minute more, taking care not to overcook corn and beans.
Add cream and ham. Cook just until heated through and slightly reduced. Season to taste.

NEXT INGREDIEN:  POTATO CHIPS

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Trusted Contributor

I stopped by to check on the Recipe Exchange Game and realized this is July 1 already.  Looks like a lot of regular posters are still stunned by the format change and all the posts that were lost (and HOPEFULLY will be restored one day).  I know I'm still mourning for all the ones I didn't have time to copy and still feeling too resentful to appreciate the good features of the new format.  I copy recipe threads into Word and save them to my hard disk and there is an awful lot of cutting and reformatting to do now.  SIGH.

@Keyai  Here's hoping QVC can find time to give us an update again directly in one of our posts.  After going through all my "Preferences" settings, I still haven't discovered why the threads I copy while logged in are formatted completely differently from the ones I copy without logging in -- "is a puzzlement!"

Zhills, will you be starting a July Exchange Game?