Honored Contributor

Hope everyone had a peaceful and blessed Memorial Day weekend my recipe friends!  Many thanks to our friend @GenXmuse  for starting June off with a delicious (and for me well timed!) summer recipe:

6029E211-7465-4A5D-8BD4-B3EA8602C5C6.jpeg

I thought I'd try a screenshot since my iPad cut and paste on QVC gives me troubles. We had gyros today so thought I'd share. You can use lettuce, flatbread or pita. 

Next Ingredient:GREEN BEANS

Honored Contributor

Green Beans:

Japanese-Style Sesame Green Beans

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 1/2  teaspoons sesame oil 
1 pound fresh green beans, washed
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

Directions:

Warm a large skillet or wok over medium heat. When the skillet is hot, pour in canola and sesame oils, then place whole green beans into the skillet.  Stir the beans to coat with oil.

Cook until the beans are bright green and slightly browned in spots, about 10 minutes.

Remove from heat, and stir in soy sauce; cover, and let sit about 5 minutes.

Transfer to a serving platter, and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.

To toast sesame seeds: Place the seeds in a dry skillet (don’t add oil!). Heat and stir over medium heat for about 3 minutes, until golden and fragrant.

Do not leave the stove because the seeds can burn very easily. 

Next Ingredient: Shrimp

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: JUNE 2021 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

Mexican Shrimp Cocktail (Rick Bayless recipe)

Servings: 4to 6

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 generous pound peeled and deveined smallish shrimp (I prefer ones that are about 41/50 count to a pound)
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
  • 1/2 cup clam juice 
  • 1/2 medium white onion, chopped into ¼ inch pieces, plus a little extra for garnish
  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, thinly sliced, plus several sprigs for garnish
  • 2 to 4 tablespoons vinegary Mexican bottled hot sauce (like Tamazula, Valentina or Búfalo, the latter being on the sweet side)
  • About 2 tablespoons olive oil, preferably extra virgin (optional but recommended to smooth out sharpness)
  • About 1 cup diced peeled cucumber or jícama (or ½ cup of each)
  • 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and cubed
  • Salt
  • Tostadas, chips or saltine crackers for serving
INSTRUCTIONS

Bring 1 quart of heavily salted water to a boil.  Scoop in the shrimp, cover, and let the water return to the boil.  Immediately remove from the heat, set the lid askew and pour off all the liquid. Replace the cover and let the shrimp steam off the heat for a few minutes if they are not cooked as much as you would like.  Spread them out to cool completely or, for the crispest texture, immediately dunk the shrimp into an ice bath.

Into a medium bowl measure in all the ingredients.  Mix in the cooled shrimp.  Taste and season with salt if it needs it.  Cover and refrigerate if not serving immediately.

Spoon the shrimp cocktail into sundae glasses, martini glasses or small bowls; garnish with a little chopped onion and cilantro.   Serve with tostadas, tortilla chips or saltines to enjoy alongside

Next Ingredient:  CAULIFLOWER RICE 

Honored Contributor

Cauliflower Hash Browns

A41C652F-282E-40E3-904A-246787A1051D.jpeg

Course Breakfast
Keyword cauliflower hash browns

Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes

Servings 6 hashbrowns
Calories 164kcal
Ingredients
  • 1 small head grated cauliflower(about 3 cups)
  • 1 large Egg
  • 3/4 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
  • 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper (optional)
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
  • 1/8 tsp black pepper
Instructions
  • Grate entire head of cauliflower.
  • Microwave for 3 minutes and let cool. Place in paper towels or cheese cloth and ring out all the excess water.
  • Place rung out cauliflower in a bowl, add rest of ingredients and combine well.
  • Form into six square shaped hash browns on a greased baking tray.
  • Place in a 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.
  • Let cool for 10 minutes and hash browns will firm up. Serve warm Enjoy!
Notes
Net Carbs: 3.2g
Nutrition
Calories: 164kcal | Carbohydrates: 5.2g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 11.25g | Fiber: 2g

Next Ingredient: TOFU
Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse 

That sounds good!  I'm thinking I could cheat and use a bag of frozen riced cauliflower?  Wegman's is really good.

Sorry I def can't help with:

NEXT INGREDIENT:  TOFU

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@GenXmuse 

That sounds good!  I'm thinking I could cheat and use a bag of frozen riced cauliflower?  Wegman's is really good.

Sorry I def can't help with:

Lol that's what I do! 😀

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

TOFU Recipe anyone?  

Honored Contributor

TOFU and Mushroom Stroganoff

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

12 oz. firm TOFU, cut into strips

1 red onion, thinly sliced

2 red bell peppers, seeded and sliced

9 oz. mixed mushrooms, quartered or sliced

2 garlic cloves, minced

2/3 cup vegetable stock

2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter

2 tablespoons tomato paste

2 teaspoons corn starch

1 cup sour cream

salt and pepper

2 tablespoons finely chopped chives

rice for serving

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in frying pan or wok over med-hi heat.  Stir-fry the TOFU until golden.  Transfer to a plate.

Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan and reduce heat to medium.  Add the onions, pepper and mushrooms.  Cook, stirring often, about 5 minutes or until softened.  Stir in the garlic and cook one more minute.

Stir in the stock, peanut butter and tomato paste.  Return the TOFU to the pan and bring to a simmer.  Cook to blend the flavors, about three minutes.

Dissolve the cornstarch in 2 tablespoons of cold water and stir into simmering liquid.  Cook about one minute until thickened.  Then stir in the sour cream; season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with chives.  Serve over hot rice.

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... ANY FRESH FRUIT 

Respected Contributor

Red Hot Candy Cinnamon Baked Apples

by Stephanie Powers at her online site December,  2014

Featured Ingredient:  Fresh Fruit

6 medium apples

2 Tablespoons red hot cinnamon candies (Brachs Imperial Royals is one brand.)

1/2 to 3/4 cup of water

Core and halve apples lengthwise.

Place them cut side down in a 9 by 13 inch baking dish.  Sprinkle the red hots candies around them.  Add water to scarcely cover the bottom of the dish--about 1/4 inch.

Put in a preheated 325 degree oven and bake about 45 minutes until skins are nicely puckered and the fruit can be cut with a fork.

Can serve with vanilla ice cream or fresh whipped cream.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Next  Ingredient:  RICE

Honored Contributor

@walker @Thank you so much for the tofu recipe. It looks delicious and I have the ingredients on my shopping list for this week!

YIELD: 2 AS A MEAL, 4 AS A SIDE Brown Rice Pilaf with Mushrooms, Kale, and Almonds
Brown Rice Pilaf with Mushrooms, Kale, and Almonds

A wonderful brown rice pilaf with crimini mushrooms, baby kale, and roasted almonds made in one-pot! Vegan and gluten-free!

PREP TIME10 minutes
COOK TIME50 minutes
ADDITIONAL TIME10 minutes
TOTAL TIME1 hour10 minutes

Ingredients
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 small onion, finely diced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 2 cups crimini mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 cup uncooked brown rice
  • 2 cups vegetable broth (low sodium)
  • 1 cup baby kale (I probably use closer to three for more nutrition 
  • salt and pepper 
  • Instructions
    1. In a large saucepan on medium-high heat, add olive oil, onions, garlic, and mushrooms. Stirring occasionally, allowing the ingredients to soften, about 2 minutes. Add in the rice and stir for an additional 2 minutes, coating the rice with the other ingredients.
    2. Pour in the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover with a lid. Cook for 40-45 minutes until the rice is tender and the broth is absorbed.
    3. Remove from the heat, top the rice with baby kale, almonds, and lemon juice and let it sit covered for 10 minutes. Gently stir together all the ingredients. Taste for salt and pepper. Serve immediately or warm.

Notes

• Different types of rice require different amounts of broth and cooking times. For example, brown rice tends to need more liquid and takes longer to cook than white rice.

Nutrition Information: YIELD:2 SERVING SIZE:1
    Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 338TOTAL FAT: 17gSATURATED FAT: 2gTRANS FAT: 0gUNSATURATED FAT: 14gCHOLESTEROL: 0mgSODIUM: 924mgCARBOHYDRATES: 40gFIBER: 6gSUGAR: 6gPROTEIN: 10g

Next Ingredient: FRESH GINGER