Honored Contributor

Related image

June 1st?  Yikes, did that sneak up on me!

So June is the month for Dads and Grads. Please share your favorite recipes or maybe crowd pleasing favorites for those that may be planning large gatherings this month to celebrate the ones we love.  Heart

HOW TO PLAY.......

The first player of the month starts the game by posting their choice of recipe. At the end of the text, she or he types, "the next ingredient: xxx."
(The x's represent that person's choice of any ingredient that can be included in a recipe).

Throughout the game, the next poster in line must use the ingredient that the person ahead chose. If you can, highlight the ingredient and/or put it in capital letters anywhere that it is used throughout the recipe. That does make it easier for everyone to see how the game works.

Because of time or system delays, some duplicate posts occur to the same ingredient. The next poster generally responds to the first post for the next ingredient. Good recipes and lots of fun!!

Normally, we start out with a recipe so I will post the last one shared on the last thread and we can take it from there. Thanks to @kelshar  who gave us our next ingredient:

PEACH CAPRESE SALAD

INGREDIENTS

(2) ripe PEACHES cut into 1/2"-thick wedges
(1) pt. cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
(1/2) c. fresh corn kernels
(1/4) small sweet onion, thinly sliced
(8) oz. fresh mozzarella, torn into pieces
(2) tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
(2) c. baby arugula
(1/2) c. fresh basil, torn into pieces

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large bowl, toss the PEACHES, tomatoes, corn, onion and mozzarella with olive oil and 1⁄2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Let sit for 5 minutes.

2. Fold in arugula and basil, then transfer to a platter.

NEXT INGREDIENT: CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP

Respected Contributor

Re: JUNE 2019 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

Campbell's Chicken and Rice Casserole

Source: Unknown.  Someone at work gave me this years ago and I've used it, or variations of it, ever since.

4 boneless chicken breasts

1 10.75 oz. can Campbell's Cream of Chicken soup

3/4 cup uncooked long grain white rice

1  1/3 cups water

2 cups frozen mixed vegetables

2 tsps. dehydrated onion

1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning

Salt and Pepper to taste

1/2 cup shredded Parmesan for topping

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Season chicken with salt and pepper and saute until browned; set aside.  In a 9 by 12 inch casserole mix the soup, water, rice, vegetables, onion, and Italian seasoning. Top with the Parmesan cheese and place chicken breasts on top.  Cover tightly with foil and bake for 45 minutes.

NEXT INGREDIENT:  MUSHROOMS

Honored Contributor

Oh good one @aroc3435 , I love mushrooms.  Can't wait to see our next recipe . . . Smiley Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

french rice

2 cans of mushrooms  drained and liquid reserved

2 cansof water chestnuts drained and chopped

2 c minute rice

1 can  condensed  french onion soup

water as needed

place rice  , muchrooms,chestnuts and soup in a microwave safe bowl.( at least 3 qt).  measure ou t the liquid from mushrooms and add enough water to make 4 cups of liquid total.  add to rice mixture.   microwave on high  for about 12 minutes.  let stand for 5 minutes and serve

you can add butter if desired

Honored Contributor

@shortbreadlover  thanks so much for that yummy and easy mushroom recipe (yay!) but when you get a chance could you provide a next ingredient for this thread please?

Many thanks as always!  Smiley Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

the next ingredient is won ton wrappers

Honored Contributor

wontons.jpg

Guacamole Shrimp WonTon Cups

Ingredients:

• 24 wonton wrappers
  • 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 1/2 cups guacamole
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves

For the guacamole:

• 3 avocados
  • 4 teaspoons lime juice
  • 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
  • 1/3 cup red onion, finely chopped
  • 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 24-cup mini muffin tin or coat with nonstick spray.
  2. Fit a wonton wrapper into each of the 24 muffin tins, pressing carefully to make sure there is an opening in the center.
  3. Place into oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
  4. While your wontons are baking, make the guacamole by combining the ingredients in a bowl until well mixed. You can make the guacamole creamier by mixing more or chunkier by mixing less.
  5. In a medium bowl, combine shrimp, olive oil, garlic and cajun seasoning; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
  6. Preheat grill to medium high heat. Add shrimp to grill and cook, flipping once, until pink and opaque, about 2 minutes on each side.
  7. Fill each wonton with 1 tablespoon guacamole and 1 shrimp.
  8. Serve immediately, garnished with cilantro, if desired.

Thank you @shortbreadlover  for choosing wonton wrappers - I had no idea there were so many ways to use them. I'll be bringing these to my next potluck. I have a wonderful Mexican grocer down the street, so I won't even need to make the guacamole 👍🏻 

guacamole shrimp wonton cups.jpg

Next ingredient:  shredded chicken

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

Re: JUNE 2019 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

@house_cat wrote:

Thank you @shortbreadlover  for choosing wonton wrappers - I had no idea there were so many ways to use them. I'll be bringing these to my next potluck. I have a wonderful Mexican grocer down the street, so I won't even need to make the guacamole 👍🏻 

@house_cat   And thank YOU for posting this delicious-looking appetizer.  I will be making it to take to a picnic this weekend.  I look for opportunities to use chili-iime seasoning, which I love, in recipes.  I think it will work really well in this recipe so I will substitute it for the Cajun seaoning.

Next ingredient:  shredded chicken

Honored Contributor

Sweet and Sour Chicken Wraps

2 cups SHREDDED CHICKEN

1 cup packaged coleslaw mix

1/4 cup slivered almonds

1/3 cup diced water chestnuts

1/2 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips

4 (8") flour tortillas

1/2 cup sweet and sour sauce

Mix chicken, coleslaw, almonds, water chestnuts and pepper strips.  Spoon down center of each tortilla.  Top evenly with sweet and sour sauce; roll up.  Serve 4 (easy to double for more).

NEXT INGREDIENT:  LEMON JUICE

Esteemed Contributor

One Pot Greek Chicken & Lemon Rice

Ingredients

Chicken and Marinade

• 5 chicken thighs, skin on, bone in
  • 1 - 2 lemons, zest + 4 tbsp lemon juice (Note 7)
  • 1 Tbsp dried oregano
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tsp salt

Rice

• 1½ tbsp olive oil, separated
  • 1 small onion, finely diced
  • 1 cup long grain rice (Note
  • 1½ cups chicken broth / stock
  • ¾ cup water
  • 1 tbsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp salt
  • Black pepper

Garnish

• Finely chopped parsley or oregano (optional)
  • Fresh lemon zest (highly recommended)

Instructions

1. Combine the Chicken and Marinade ingredients in a ziplock bag and set aside for at least 20 minutes but preferably overnight.

To Cook

1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Remove chicken from marinade, but reserve the Marinade.
  3. Heat ½ tbsp olive oil in a deep, heavy based skillet (Note 2) over medium high heat.
  4. Place the chicken in the skillet, skin side down, and cook until golden brown, then turn and cook the other side until golden brown. Remove the chicken and set aside.
  5. Pour off fat and wipe the pan with a scrunched up ball of paper towel (to remove black bits), then return to the stove.
  6. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in the skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and sauté for a few minutes until translucent. Then add the remaining Rice ingredients and reserved Marinade.
  7. Let the liquid come to a simmer and let it simmer for 30 seconds. Place the chicken on top then place a lid on the skillet (Note 3). Bake in the oven for 35 minutes. Then remove the lid and bake for a further 10 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender (so 45 minutes in total).
  8. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving, garnished with parsley or oregano and fresh lemon zest, if desired.

Notes

1. I use bone in, skin on chicken thighs because there's more flavour. But you can use skinless, boneless chicken thigh fillets if you prefer. If you do that, place the chicken in the pan 20 minutes into the baking time because the chicken won't need as long.

2. I garnished this with slices of lemon which I seared in the pan after cooking the chicken.

5. How to make this entirely on stove top (readers' request). Though the result isn't quite the same as baking because you sacrifice either the chicken juices mixing in with the rice OR the crispy skin, it can be made entirely on the stove. There are two options:

a) Cook the chicken completely on the stove, set aside and cook the rice on the stove (reduce the liquid by ½ cup). To cook the rice, just follow the recipe directions up to the point just before putting it in the oven. Instead of doing that, put the lid on and cook on medium low until the liquid is absorbed (about 12 - 15 minutes). When the rice is almost ready, pop the chicken back in on top of the rice and put the lid on to warm up, and finish cooking the rice. This will yield a chicken with crispier skin than the second method.

b) The 2nd method is to sear the chicken but not cook it through, then pop it on to of the rice to finish cooking while the rice cooks. This method is easier and you will get the benefit of the chicken juices mixing in with the rice while it cooks but you will lose the crispiness of the skin.

7. You need enough lemon to get 4 tbsp of lemon juice which will be 1 large or 2 small lemons. Use all the zest from the lemon(s) that you use.

Next ingredient:  Fresh tomatoes