Valued Contributor

Re: JULY RECIPE EXCHANGE...What's "popping" up in your kitchen in July

@Bluffbaker wrote:

Hi Everybody!

This is my first time sharing a recipe.  I hope I'm doing it right!  I fix Bacon Quiche every year on Christmas morning.  It's the only time I make it all year long.

Margaret

Bacon Quiche

6 to 8 Servings

1 (14.1 oz.) pkg. refrigerated pie crusts

1 (12 oz.) pkg. bacon, cooked, drained and crumbled

6 eggs, beaten

2 cups milk

2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

salt and pepper to taste

Put both pie crusts in an ungreased 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish.  Flour the bottoms and sides of the pie crusts.  Combine remaining ingredients and pour on top of crusts.  Bake at 375° for 40 to 45 minutes.

Next ingredient:  BANANAS

great recipe!  so easy & not a "list" of ingredints...thanks for posting!!

Next Ingredient: BANANAS

Esteemed Contributor

Fruity Summer Sorberts

to make:  Add all ingredients to a high speed/high quality blender  (Ninja/Vitamix) bananas first.  Slightly thaw frozen fruit so that it blends easily.  Blend until smooth but do not OVER blend.  Pour in freezer friendly container to store.

Strawberry Banana OR Pineapple banana

1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries

(OR use 1 1/2 cup frozen pineapple or mixed fruit)
1 1/2 bananas (fresh) cut into chunks
1/3 cup maple syrup or honey
Almond milk (or plain milk) if needed

Next ingredient:  Avocado

Trusted Contributor

Drat!  Drat!!  Drat!!!  We had that lovely "How Do You Use Avocados" thread going, and I didn't get any of it copied before the format change.  It had some scrumptious ideas.  I don't usually think of avocados as an ingredient -- when I have a good one, I just eat it sliced and sprinkled with lime juice.  To help keep the game going, I went to the Avocado Board site to see what sounded intriguing.  This salad was it:

Avocado Mango Rice Salad

This rice salad has a perfect blend of sweet and savory and makes for easy entertaining or packed as a satisfying lunch.

Prep Time: 20 minutes  Cook Time: 5 minutes  Total Time: 25 minutes

1 ripe Fresh Hass Avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and cubed

2 cups cooked brown rice

1 ripe mango, peeled and cubed

1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained

1 red bell pepper, diced

2 scallions, thinly sliced

2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice

1 Tbsp. olive oil

2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

In a large bowl combine rice, beans, mango, bell pepper, scallions, lime juice, oil, cilantro, salt and pepper. Add avocado; toss gently.

Can be served with white rice instead of brown, or over mixed greens.

Note: Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.

Next Ingredient:  Fresh Lemons or Limes 

Esteemed Contributor

Traditional Spanish Sangria Recipe

Ingredients

• 1.5 bottles of young table wine (don't waste top quality wine on sangria but use one that will give you a hangover either!)
  • 2 oranges
  • 2 lemons
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 green apple (optional)
  • 2 peaches or apricots (optional)
  • Carbonated beverage (lemon soda, orange soda, or soda water) (optional)
  • Instructions
  1. If using the sugar (which will make a sweeter sangria than if you omit), dissolve the sugar in two tablespoons of water over a low flame to create a clear simple syrup. Let cool.
  2. Wash 1 orange and cut off thick pieces of rind before juicing.
  3. Juice the orange.
  4. Wash the lemon and cut off pieces of rind before juicing the lemon.
  5. Juice the lemon.
  6. In a large pitcher or bowl, stir together the wine, simple syrup, orange juice and lemon juice and add slices s of lemon and orange. If making a truly traditional Spanish sangria, simply add the cinnamon stick and let sit at least two hours (preferably overnight) before serving over ice. This allows the sangria to take on the aromas of the fruit rind and cinnamon stick. 
  7. Cut the other lemon and orange into thin slices, rind and all.  Put a slice of each in the glass with the sangria and garnish with one of each on the rim of the glass.

If you want to make a slightly more modern version (still not anything too crazy!) add in chopped up chunks of green apple and peach. For the modern version you can also top off with a carbonated beverage (lemon soda, orange soda, or soda water) right before serving for some bubbles.  Oh, yeah!

Next ingredient:  Romaine lettuce

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here's another two-fer ("fer to keep this game going") -- on the current Peaches thread, there is a link to "The Peach Truck."  I had just read Zhills' recipe above and thought this sounded like a nice summery mate to it.  (Recipe using romaine follows.)

Sparkling Peach Sangria

(http://thepeachtruck.com/blogs/the-peach-truck-kitchen)

Makes approx. two gallons

This recipe differs from many, as it is essentially a sangria concentrate that is blended with seltzer when served over ice.

6 fresh peaches, divided

2 bottles rosé wine

2 cups peach-flavored brandy

2 cups vodka (or peach vodka – see recipe on site)

1 can lemonade concentrate

1 cup peach syrup (see recipe in next post)

2 fresh lemons, washed and sliced

4 1-liter bottles of seltzer

fresh mint for garnish

Start by washing and slicing four peaches (the remaining two will be used for garnish) and set aside. Add wine, brandy, vodka, lemonade concentrate, peach syrup and sliced lemons to a large gallon jar. Stir to combine before adding sliced peaches. Refrigerate overnight. 

To serve, pour 2 ounces of sangria mix and 2 ounces of seltzer in a glass with ice. Garnish with fresh mint and sliced peaches. 

----------------

Layered Caribbean Chicken Salad
(Originally posted by Carol1229 in 07-2012)

Carol’s Note: Since I double the dressing amount, I spoon half over top and serve the other half on the side. Sprinkle cashews on top just before serving.

Salad
4 cups torn romaine lettuce

3 cups cut-up cooked chicken

1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained, rinsed

1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes

2 ripe medium mangoes, seed removed, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup cashews , for garnish

Dressing

1/3 cup vegetable oil

1/3 cup lime juice

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

2 tablespoons sugar

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, if desired

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

Red pepper sauce, if desired

In 3-quart glass trifle bowl, layer lettuce, chicken, black beans, tomatoes and mangoes.  (The original post included a delicious-looking picture.)

In jar with tight-fitting lid, shake dressing ingredients. Drizzle over salad; serve immediately. Or, cover and refrigerate salad and dressing separately up to 4 hours; drizzle salad with dressing just before serving.

Tip: Mix the flavor of this salad up by substituting fresh mint for the cilantro and pineapple or papaya for the mangoes.

Next Ingredient:  Almonds

Trusted Contributor

Here's the recipe for the Peach Syrup in the Sangria recipe above.)

Natural Peach Syrup

(http://thepeachtruck.com/blogs/the-peach-truck-kitchen)

The flavor of fresh Georgia peaches is pure summertime. This brilliantly-colored peach syrup captures that essence in a bottle, perfect for using in desserts, cocktails and iced tea throughout the year. Best of all, it takes only four simple ingredients and minutes to prepare.

Makes approx. 4 cups

4 fresh peaches

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (juice of about 2 lemons)

3 cups granulated sugar

1 cup boiling water

Microwave Method:

This method is not only easy, but results in a fresh peach flavor. Wash and pit the peaches. Cut into wedges and place in a large microwave-safe glass bowl. Pour lemon juice and sugar on top (do not stir) and cover very tightly with plastic wrap (wrapping all the way around the bowl to seal in steam while cooking). Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Remove and carefully remove plastic as to not burn yourself on the steam. Stir well. Cover and repeat the process until all sugar has dissolved. Once complete, strain syrup to remove solids. You can save the peaches to use as jam. Whisk in boiling water and transfer syrup to a jar. Makes about 4 cups. Refrigerate until needed.

Stovetop Method:

Cooking on the stovetop will result in a syrup with more of a peach jam flavor rather than fresh peach flavor. Wash and pit the peaches. Cut into wedges. Place peaches, lemon juice and water in a saucepan. Add sugar on top (do not stir). Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce to a very low simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes. Resist the urge to stir while cooking, as this will break up the peaches. Remove from heat, strain and bottle.

Next Ingredient is still:  Almonds

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hot Chicken Salad     (A Paula Deen Recipe)

2 cups cooked chicken breast meat, cubed

1 cup diced celery

1/2 cup slivered almonds

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice 

1 cup mayonnaise

1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese

2/3 cup crushed potato chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 9x13" baking dish* with vegetable oil cooking spray.   In large bowl, combine the chicken, celery, almonds, salt, pepper, lemon juice, mayonnaise and cheese.  Place mixture in prepared baking dish.  Spread the crushed potato chips on top.  Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly.

* I used a 2 quart square dish and it worked fine.  I used bottled lemon juice also.

NEXT INGREDIENT.........RASPBERRIES....OR.......CORN?

Honored Contributor

Raspberry Crisp

4 cups fresh or frozen raspberries

1/3 cup sugar

1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided

3/4 cup quick-cooking oats

1/3 cup packed brown sugar

1/4 cup cold butter or margarine

In a bowl, gently toss raspberries with sugar and 3 tablespoons flour.  Transfer to a greased 9" square baking dish.  In another bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar and remaining flour;  cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Sprinkle over berries.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

NEXT INGREDIENT.......CELERY

Honored Contributor

I made this recipe for a luncheon I'm hosting today:

Chicken Salad Veronique (Ina Garten)

4 breasts of chicken with bone

2 celery stalks, diced

1/2 c. mayonnaise

1 tbs. fresh tarragon (chopped)

1 cup. green grapes (halved)

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. ground black pepper

Directions:

Rub the chicken breasts with some olive oil, salt and pepper.  

Bake them in the oven for about 40 minutes at 350 degrees.

Let the chicken cool.

Remove chicken from the bone and dice into bite sized pieces.

In a bowl, mix the chicken with the other ingredients.

I hope this is a hit. I'm not one for adding fruit to savory dishes, but this recipe got excellent reviews.

Next ingredient:  carrots

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Bahamian Style Coleslaw

Ingredients
1/2 head of cabbage
2 medium carrots

Bahamian Style Coleslaw Dressing
2 tbsps Mayonnaise
2 tbsps Basic Dressing (below)
Juice from 1/2 a lime
Few shakes of Hot Pepper Sauce (or more to taste)
Sea Salt and Pepper

Method
1. Make Basic Dressing (below) and allow to cool.
2. Combine all ingredients for the coleslaw dressing and blend with a wire whisk or in a food processor.
3. Core cabbage and finely shred with sharp knife (don’t chop).
4. Grate carrots, if they are large, or finely slice if they are small.
5. Mix to taste with dressing.

Basic Dressing
Heat together until sugar has dissolved:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup water Cool,
and add salt and pepper to taste.

Mum’s Note: I always keep this in my fridge in a glass jar with a lid.  This is an excellent dressing alone for cucumbers and onions, or beets and onions.  A bit of it is wonderful with sauteed red cabbage, sauteed greens, or in potato salad.

Next ingredient:  Rice