Honored Contributor

JULY 2022 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

Greetings recipe friends and welcome to the July recipe thread where we can celebrate good food, good friends and our great nation!  Heart

Many thanks to our friend @Zhills who was kind enough not only to post this yummy soup recipe but also suggested refreshing summer fruit for our July menus/next ingredient:

I know it is very hot in most places, but this is a great lunch!

Aunt Gladys’ Soup 

1 lb beef or your favorite beef,

3 lg potatoes cut into 1/2” cubes
3 raw carrots or 1 small can
2 celery ribs
1 sm onion, diced
1 can diced tomatoes (14 oz) undrained
1/2 cup okra (optional)

I have added a small amount (1/4 cup) of cut up cabbage or greens after 20 mins.

Add 1 can chicken broth and 1 can beef broth (I use Beef ‘Better than Bouillon’ and water)

Salt and pepper to taste. (broth is already salted)

Cook until veggies are tender. About 30 minutes.

Broth can be diluted with water to obtain desired taste. Makes 3 quarts

Next ingredient:  Any fruit

Honored Contributor

Re: JULY 2022 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

@momtochloe ...it is so nice of you to keep this going every month...thank you!  @Zhills....I'll be trying that soup recipe too!  OK, moving along.....on track...choo-choo..🚂

LEMON-BLUEBERRY Greek Yogurt Muffins

3 cups of all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup vegetable oil

1 1/2 cups sugar

2 eggs

1 cup plain Greek yogurt

Zest of 1 LEMON

2 tablespoons fresh LEMON juice

2 cups fresh BLUEBERRIES

Streusel Topping.....5 tablespoons cold cubed butter

3/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 cup granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Prepare two 12-cup muffin tins with paper liners.  Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Set aside.  With an electric mixer, blend sugar, oil, and eggs on medium speed until smooth. Add Greek yogurt, LEMON zest and LEMON juice.  Blend until well-combined.  Gradually add flour mixture on low speed; mix well.  Fold in BLUEBERRIES gently.  Scoop batter into each muffin cup filling them "almost" full.  

Topping...pour flour, sugar and cold cubed butter into medium size bowl.  Use a pastry cutter or forks to cut butter into flour and sugar until you have pea-sized crumbs of flour coated butter. 

Top each muffin cup with about 1-2 tablespoons of the streusel topping.  Bake for 3 minutes.  REDUCE HEAT to 350 and bake 22-25 minutes longer.  They will be done when turning golden brown on top.  Remove from oven and cool completely. 

*** This recipe was found online and is very good!!  Moist muffins but recipe does make a lot!  Next time I think I will try to cut recipe in half.  But, they freeze well.

NEXT INGREDIENT ...... NUTS....any type

Honored Contributor

Just a follow-up to the muffin recipe.  I only had one 12-cup and one 6-cup muffin tins.  I filled them up and still had batter left so I put remaining batter into a mini-muffin tin.  Worked out well....so, make recipe your own...try it...might work..did for me.  

NEXT INGREDIENT .... NUTS....walnuts, pecans, almonds,

etc....any type

Respected Contributor

PECAN BOURBON CAKE    from Sweet Christmas Cookin'

preheat oven to 275 to bake

makes 1-10"tube pan and 1-9"x5" loaf pan  or 6-4"x4" foil bakers

2 cups candied cherries, cut in halves or quarters

2 cups seedless white raisins

2 cups bourbon

2 cups butter or margarine

2 1/4 cups granulated sugar

1 3/4 cups packed light brown sugar

8 eggs separated

5 cups all-pourpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 1/4 teaspoons ground Nutmeg

4 cups PECANS (in halves or broken coarsely )

candied fruit for decoration ( optional )

Combine the cherries, raisins and bourbon in a bowl. cover tightly and allow to stand in the refrigerator overnight.

On the following day, grease and flour the tube pan and loaf pan with greased and floured brown paper cut to fit or a double layer of parchment.  If using foil bakers grease and flour or spray with vegatable oil spray.

Drain the fruits and reserve the bourbon.  In a separate bowl combine the pecans and 3/4 cup flour, stirring well to thoroughly coat.  and set aside.

In a Large bowl beat the butter til it is light and fluffy.  Add the sugars gradually continuing to beat at medium spead until thoroughly mied.  Add the egg Yolks one at a time beating well after each addition.

Sift 4 1/4 cups of flour with the baking powder, salt and Nutmeg.  add 2 cups of the flour to the batter and mix thoroughly,  Add the remainder of the flour and the bourbon alternately,  mixing well.

In another bowl, beat the egg Whites until they form stiff peak when the mixer is lifted.  fold egg whites into batter gently and blend completely.  Finally fold in the drained fruits and floured nuts and mix thoroughly.

Fill the tube pan to within 1 inch of the top and pour remaining batter into 9"x5" loaf pan. bake in a 275 degree oven.

Bake the large cake approximately 3 hours and the loaf pan 1 1/2 hours or until a cake tester comes out clean.

Bake the small loves 1 1/2 hours or until cake tested comes out clean.

Can be made in paper lined cupcke pans.  Bake 35-40 minutes.

Cool on rack before removing from pans.  peel off paper and wrap ech cake in brandy or Bourbon saturated cheesecloth  wrap in plastic wrap or aluminium foil or keep in a tightly closed container and add a dose of bourbon or brandy evry week to 10 days until ready to use.

Honored Contributor

@candys mine What's the next ingredient?

Respected Contributor

Next ingredient: HONEY

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe soup is my all time fav!matter of fact,even tho it is hot as Hattiesburg here in the midwest,Midwest, made a ww veggie soup yesterday.very tasty

Esteemed Contributor

Re: JULY 2022 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

Happy to see new names on the postings.  Welcome! 

Next ingredient: HONEY

Esteemed Contributor

@candys mine  That recipe for PECAN BOURBON CAKE looks like a dream! A lot of work, but so are good fruit cakes. I am so intrigued, I just ordered the cookbook to see what else is in there. DH loves good fruitcake, and we ordered the Beatrice fruitcake last year. He loved it, but I would like to try something for myself. Thanks for posting! I won't make it until October or November, but I'll try to let you know how it turned out.

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom  Do try it. It's not as difficult as it seems. The book I've got is just a little paperback book. With various cookies, cakes and candy the writer recalls from her families holiday baking .  There's a few different fruitcakes in it.  I will say that my mom, sometime or other, got a hold of the book and wrote notes in the margin of the recipies I'd made . She thought the pecan cake was "Exellent" so there's that. (Thanks mommyHeart)

Someone was looking for a Pecan cake from North Carolina on the board at one point, The author of this book hales from Greensboro, North Carolina.

I hope this might be close to what they recall.