Honored Contributor

Re: JULY 2017 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

Crock Pot Ham

Spray crock pot with non-stick spray.  Put one 4-6# Ham in it.  Mix together the following and pour over ham......

1/2 cup Apple juice

3/4 cup BROWN SUGAR

1/2 cup raisins

1 teaspoon cinnamon

Cook on Low 8 hours or on High for 4 hours (smaller ham may take less time).

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE

Esteemed Contributor

Grandpa's Classic Coney Sauce

"Ground beef is simmered in a tangy sauce with onion. My Grandfather owned a drive-in restaurant back in the 1950's. This is his exact recipe for Coney Dogs from back in the day. I make this on special occasions and it is always hit with friends and family. Enjoy."

Ingredients:

1 pound ground beef

1/4 cup chopped onion

3/4 cup ketchup

2 tablespoons white sugar

2 tablespoons white vinegar

2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard

1/4 teaspoon celery seed

1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:

Place the ground beef and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring to crumble, until beef is browned. Drain. Transfer the beef and onion to a slow cooker and stir in the ketchup, sugar, vinegar and mustard. Season with celery seed, Worcestershire sauce, pepper and salt. Cover and simmer on Low setting for a few hours before serving.

Next ingredient:  Bell peppers 

Regular Contributor
Hamburger Macaroni Casserole
4 to 6 Servings

1 1/2 lb. ground beef
1 (8 oz.) pkg. elbow macaroni (uncooked)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1 (14 1/2 oz.) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
1/2 cup catsup
1 cup water
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
shredded Cheddar or Mozzarella cheese to taste (optional)

Brown ground beef in large pan.  Remove beef from pan using a slotted spoon.  Discard all but two or three tablespoons of drippings from the pan. Put the uncooked macaroni, onion and green pepper in the drippings and cook until the onion is soft.  Return beef to the pan and add the remaining ingredients, except cheese.  Cover and simmer 25 minutes or until macaroni is cooked as desired, stirring every 7 or 8 minutes to keep macaroni from sticking.  If using cheese, add it when the casserole is done.  Remove the pan from heat.  Sprinkle cheese on top of the casserole and put the lid on the pan until the cheese melts.

Next Ingredient:  Colby Monterey Jack cheese
Esteemed Contributor

Pimiento Cheese

INGREDIENTS

• 6 ounces cream cheese
    • 1/2 cup Vermont extra sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
    • 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
    • 1 cup colby jack cheese, grated
    • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
    • 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
    • 4 ounces pimientos, chopped
    • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
    • 1 dash hot sauce ( or more!)
    • fresh ground black pepper, to taste

DIRECTIONS

1. Using a hand held mixer, beat cream cheese until soft.
  2. Add the remaining ingredients and beat until creamy and combined.
  3. Cover and refrigerate for about an hour.

Next ingredient:  Bacon

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]
Asparagus Bundles
8 Servings

1 lb. fresh asparagus, rinsed and patted dry
bacon (one slice per bundle), partially cooked
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste
3/4 tsp. garlic powder

Preheat oven to 400°.  Bend the bottom of one piece of asparagus until it breaks.  Use this as a guide to trim all the remaining asparagus to the same length.  Divide the asparagus into equal bundles.  Wrap one partially cooked bacon slice around each asparagus bundle.  Set the bundles into a greased baking dish.

Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add the remaining ingredients, stirring until well blended.  Pour the mixture over the bundles. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, basting every 10 minutes, until done.

Next Ingredient:  Canned pie filling (any flavor)
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Originally found this recipe on the back of a Land O' Lakes butter box. It called for canned pie filling in cherry flavor, but of course blueberry, apple or others work just as nicely. Lots of recipes for pie filling coffee cakes but this one was especially moist and especially like the filling between 2 layers of cake rather than on top. Here is my slightly reworked and tweaked recipe for

Coffee Cake with Canned Pie Filling

1 Cup sugar

1/2 Cup softened butter

2 eggs, room temperature

1 Cup plain lowfat yogurt or sour cream

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 Cups flour (I used pastry flour which is lower in gluten than All Purpose)

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt

1 (21 oz) can pie filling,

Topping:

1/3 Cup flour

1/3 Cup brown sugar

4 Tablespoons softened butter

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/3 Cup chopped nuts (optional)

Heat oven to 325°F. Grease and flour 13x9-inch baking pan; set aside.

Combine 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup butter in bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add sour cream, eggs and vanilla; continue beating until well mixed. Add 2 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, & salt. Beat at low speed until well blended. Batter will be thick.

Spread half of batter into prepared pan. Spoon canned pie filling over batter. Spoon remaining batter over pie filling; spread carefully.

Stir together 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup sugar, nutd and cinnamon in bowl. Cut in 3 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle crumb mixture over batter. Bake 45-50 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and topping is dark golden brown. 

foodpixlandolakescherrycoffeecakeusingcannedpiefilling.jpg

Variations: Cherry filling is good with chopped almonds, peach filling with chopped pecans, and blueberry filling with a bit of lemon zest. You might alos use 1/2 teaspoon of almond or lemon extract in place of half of the vanilla flavoring as you like.    

Next ingredient: Dona Maria Mole Paste (Mexican section of market or mexigrocers.com)

Honored Contributor

KCFoxy....I think we are stuck on this ingredient....would you like to post a recipe or change it?

Valued Contributor

@walker  Don't mean to step on toes, but since the game is stuck.  I have never posted a recipe I haven't tried, but since we're "stuck", got this one off the Dona Maria Mole Paste website.

Wistia video thumbnail - Pulled Pork Mole Taco_60_1

Celebrate with DOÑA MARÍA
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups 

chicken broth or water

• 1 (8.25-ounce) jar 

DOÑA MARÍA®Mole Original

• 1 teaspoon 

ground cumin

• 1 teaspoon 

garlic powder

• 1 (5-pound) 

boneless pork shoulder roast

•  

Salt & freshly ground pepper

•  
  •  

For Serving:

•  

HERDEZ® corn tortillas

•  

Shredded cabbage

•  

Jicama, cut into thin strips

•  

Sliced avocado

•  

Mexican crema

•  

Chopped cilantro 

Serves 8

NEXT INGREDIENT:  CANTALOUPE

Honored Contributor

Blk&GldFan......no problem...that works and sounds good! No stepping on toes, I just wanted to keep game moving.  Thanks for recipe to move us along!

NEXT INGREDIENT .... CANTALOUPE

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry, if this ingredient stumped anyone. Had this delicious stuff at a friend's wedding back in mid 70's. Theirs was catered with turkey being stewed in the most wonderful sauce. Didn't have computers back then to look up recipes but one of the ladies was very kind! While she sat slapping out tortillas from corn masa and I finished licking (!) the last of this sauce from my second helping, she confided the secret ingredient was Dona Maria Mole Paste (Sauce).

Fast forward 3 or 4 decades and I now know the orginal mole has hundreds of versions and each cook made it from scratch and special through the use of various chilies, nuts and spices...some using chocolate, some not. I make a very quick and streamlined version, so good served over steamed rice or folded into tortillas or enchilada casserole.

The purists may scoff but the flavor is IMHO amazing and I would love it share my very short cut version with my fellow Foodies here.

Streamlined Chicken Mole

2 Tablespoons Dona Maria Mole Paste

2 Cups chicken broth

1 1/2 Cups leftover chicken, torn into 1" chunks

1 teaspoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa

Sour cream (optional)

Steamed rice on hand, 1/2 Cup per person.

Combine mole paste, sugar and cocoa with small amount of broth in large heavy skillet over medium low heat, gradually adding more liquid until all incorporated.Add chicken and simmer 20 minutes.  Thicken sauce with a cornstarch water slurry (1 to 2 teaspoons each) if desired.

Remove from heat and taste. If sauce is too spicy, you can temper ir with 1/4 to 1/2 Cup sour cream. Oher lettover meats such as turkey or pork may be substitued.

Makes 4-6 servings, even better the next day.

Note: Dona Maria Mole Paste reminds me of old fashioned peanut butter in the way the oil tends to separate out from the solids. I store these containers upside down in the refrigerator and tend to purchase the 16 screw top/wide mouth jars vs the 8 ounce pry off lid sort that come in those little cheese spread type jars Smiley Wink

foodhomemadechickenmolefromleftoverbakedchickendonamariamolesacealaCasey.jpg

Above is my own chicken mole...much quicker to make than reading through instructions, especially when using leftover protein and rice.

Next ingredient: canteloupe