Honored Contributor

Well I'm not quite sure how this happened but apparently it's almost 2022.  This December just seemed to blow right by me!  Anyway, let's start this new year off right with the sharing of our yummiest and most special recipes as I believe we all still have some celebration left in us . . . Heart

Many thanks to our friend @KingstonsMom  for her delicious Fresh Apple Cake recipe and for our next ingredient:

This is a great apple cake recipe posted here 10 years ago by one of our favorite 'recipes forum' members.

So moist, and one thing use a whisk on the topping the whole time!! don't stop it will get like a light caramel color....well first its a white color then as you whisk it it darkens..WOW!!its so good..I might just double it the topping the next time.. also make sure you put the topping on it while its hot.

Fresh Apple Cake

CREAM IN A LARGE BOWL OR STAND MIXER:
2 sticks margarine (I sub butter)
2 c sugar

ADD:
2 large eggs

IN A SEPARATE BOWL, COMBINE:
2 1/2 c all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon

ADD DRY INGREDIENTS TO THE MARGARINE MIXTURE. MIX IN:
3 c finely chopped apples
1 c chopped walnuts (I sub pecans, I live in GA, LOL!)
2-3 Tbsp milk

GLAZE
3/4 c sugar
1/2 c margarine (I sub butter)
1/4 c buttermilk
1 Tbsp light corn syrup
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp real vanilla extract

Directions
1. Follow the above steps to make the cake batter.
2. Grease and flour a 9x13 pan Spread apple cake batter evenly in pan.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick comes out without raw batter on it.
4. While cake is baking, combine all the glaze ingredients except the vanilla in a medium pan. Stir and cook to to a rolling boil. Remove from heat and add 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
5. Pour and spread glaze over hot cake as soon as the cake is removed from the oven.
6. Let cake cool completely before serving. The longer it sits, the better it gets!

Next Ingredient: Mushrooms (any kind)
Honored Contributor

Re: JANUARY 2022 RECIPE GAME

Next Ingredient Was: Mushrooms, here''s one of my faves. Goes great with steak and other meats and I make them to just eat out of a bowl!

Steakside Mushrooms

1 1/2 lbs. of fresh mushrooms, sliced (your preference of type)

1 stick butter (or margarine if you prefer)

Season salt to taste (I use Lawry's)

1/4 cup Worcestershire

1/4 cup water

In skillet, sautee mushrooms in butter/margarine till browned.

Sprinkle with seasoned salt to taste.

Add Worcestershire sauce till absorbed by mushrooms.

Add water and simmer till mushrooms are tender.

Next Ingredient: Poster's choice or one of your faves!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bourbon Chicken

2 lbs boneless chicken cut into bite size pieces

1 garlic clove, crushed

1/4 t ginger

3/4 t crushed red pepper flakes

1/4 c apple juice

1/3 c light brown sugar

2 T ketchup

1 T apple cider vinegar

1/2 c water

1/3 c soy sauce

1 T cornstarch (if thick sauce is desired)

Mix all ingredients except for chicken, in a bowl. Put chicken and mixture in a large pan and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium & simmer for 20 mins.

We usually use chicken thighs.

Next Ingredient: Poster's Choice

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz 

Oh yum! I love Bourbon Chicken, thank you!

Next Ingredient is still: Poster's Choice

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

fiesta-chicken-casserole-3-1-760x607.jpeg

Fiesta Chicken Casserole

Ingredients:

• 3 cups cooked chopped chicken
  • 1 cup instant rice uncooked
  • 1 (10.75-oz) can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 (10-oz) can Rotel diced tomatoes and chiles, undrained
  • 1 Tbsp Southwestern or Taco seasoning
  • 2 Tbsp milk
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
  • ½ cup crushed tortilla chips or Doritos
Instructions:
  • Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray a 9×9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
  • Combine chicken, rice, soup, Rotel, seasoning, milk, and 1½ cups of cheese. Pour into prepared pan.
  • Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
  • Top casserole with crushed chips and remaining cheese and bake uncovered for 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted.

Note: I happen to have lots of leftover shredded chicken and came across this recipe. I've never made it before.

Next ingredient: pesto

~ house cat ~
Regular Contributor

PESTO Mashed Red Potatoes

4 1/2 lbs. unpeeled red potatoes, cut into 1" pieces

6 tablespoons butter, cubed

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

3/4 teaspoon pepper

1 to 1 1/3 cups heavy whipping cream, warmed

1/3 cup PESTO

Place potatoes in a large saucepan or Dutch Oven and cover with water.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat; cover and cook until tender, 10-15 minutes.  Drain.

Mash the potatoes with butter, salt, pepper and enough warm cream to achieve desired consistency.  Before serving, swirl in prepared PESTO and  drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil.

(Taste of Home recipe)

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... BANANAS

Valued Contributor

Chocolate Chip BANANA Bread

i stumbled across this internet recipe where the author raves about it being the BEST banana bread recipe ever. She's not wrong.  Make sure your bananas are very ripe, almost black.  This is a dense  cake and I've found it's better to bake it closer to the 60 minute mark. It's easy to make and the melty chocolate chips make it extra special. 

Prep time:  15 mins.                 Cook time:  50-60 mins.          Serves:  12

INGREDIENTS 

1-3/4 cup all-purpose flour

1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder 

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1 cup mashed bananas (3 medium ripe bananas)

3/4 cup packed brown sugar 

2 large eggs at room temperature 

1/2 cup unsalted butter melted and slightly cooled

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 

1 cup chocolate chips divided (3/4 cup and 1/4 cup)

1 Tablespoon turbinado sugar for sprinkling on bread

INSTRUCTIONS

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.

2.  In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.  Set aside. 

3.  In a large bowl, combine the mashed bananas with the brown sugar and mix until smooth.  Stir in the eggs until well combined.  Pour in the melted butter and vanilla extract and mix until combined. 

4.  Add the dry ingredients until just combined, don't over mix.  Gently fold in 3/4 cup of chocolate chips.  

5. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and sprinkle turbinado sugar over the top. Top with remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips.  Bake until golden brown and a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean, about 50-60 minutes. 

6.  Remove bread from oven and let sit in the pan 10 minutes.  Loosen with a bread knife around the edges and carefully remove the bread from the pan. Cool completely on a cooling rack before slicing.  

NEXT UP:  PEANUT BUTTER

Regular Contributor

@Linda0215 ....welcome...I don't think I have seen you here before.  This recipe sounds really good.  My grandkids would love it with the chocolate chips!  Thanks!

NEXT INGREDIENT .... PEANUT BUTTER

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Peanut Butter No-bake Cookies

Ingredients

• 1 cup butterscotch chips
  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 1 cup chow mein noodles
  • 2 cups mini marshmallows

Instructions

1. First, melt the butterscotch chips and peanut butter in a medium saucepan over low heat, stirring just until barely melted and smooth. Remove from heat and add the chow mein noodles.
  1. Wait 1-2 minutes before stirring in the marshmallows - you don't want them to melt so if your mixture is really hot, wait until it cools a bit before adding the marshmallows. Your peanut butter mixture shouldn't be very hot, but if you heated it a little bit too long, give it time to cool.
  2. Use two spoons to drop mixture by cookie size onto wax paper to cool. The setting process will take a few hours at room temperature but takes a lot less time if you put the cookies in the fridge to set.  

Easy to halve for a small batch of goodies!

Next ingredient:  Noodles (any)

Valued Contributor

thank you Qwalker.  I've never seen this topic before and I love new recipes, so I thought what the heck!