Respected Contributor

Re: JANUARY 2020 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

@GenXmuse Thank you for letting me know that your family enjoyed it.  I always look forward to the recipes you post as well.  

That New York Cookbook is one of my most often consulted.  I am so glad I acquired it secondhand about seventeen years ago.

When I am in a cooking rut I very often turn to it to get a fresh inspiration of "what's on the menu today?" because it reflects so many ethnic cuisines packed in its 508 pages, reflecting the food history and diversity that is the New York eating scene.

Let's all keep swapping recipes to avoid the cooking doldrums!

Best,

aroc3435

Next Ingredient:  CUMIN 

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 That sounds like a wonderful resource that has served you well over the years.  I have saved many a recipes from this board. Thanks for being a regular contributor!

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse 

I'm so glad to hear that!  I haven't tried them yet, but I will be trying them soon!

Next ingredient is CUMIN.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just happen to catch Trisha Yearwood's show this morning as she was fixing this recipe.  I quickly wrote down notes as she was putting it together.  You can look up exact recipe on foodnetwork.com/trisha.  I plan to try it soon....good winter recipe.

Cornbread Chili Casserole

Mix together 3 boxes of Cornbread Mix ( Jiffy) with 1 1/2 cups milk; set aside.

Brown, in little oil, 1 1/2 lbs ground beef with one medium onion, diced.  Add 1 (12 oz) pkg frozen corn, thawed and 1 1/2 cups mild salsa.  Mix together and then add...

1/4 cup vegetable broth

2 tablespoons chili powder

1 teaspoon CUMIN

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

Mix well and put into a 9 X 13" baking dish.  Top with the cornbread muffin mix.  Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.  Serve with shredded cheese and sour cream, if desired.

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... CHOCOLATE-CHIPS 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm cheating a little bit with this one but it looks yummy.

Taste of Home Contest Winner

White Chocolate Raspberry Thumbprints

White Chocolate Raspberry Thumbprints

Total Time
Prep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling

Makes about 3 dozen

Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 eggs, separated
  • 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup baking cocoa
  • 1-1/4 cups finely chopped pecans or walnuts
  • FILLING:
  • 4 ounces white baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam

Directions
  • 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks. Combine flour and cocoa; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until easy to handle.
  • 2. In a shallow bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy. Place nuts in another shallow bowl. Shape dough into 1-in. balls. Dip in egg whites, then roll in nuts.
  • 3. Using a wooden spoon handle, make an indentation in center of each cookie. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool.
  • 4. In a microwave, melt white chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon into each cookie. Top each with about 1/4 teaspoon jam. Store in an airtight container.

Nutrition Facts

1 cookie: 120 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 43mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.

Next Ingredient: Kale

Honored Contributor

The Most Awesome Sauteed Kale
47BD78DD-331D-43EE-A040-385F351F4216.jpeg
Prep Time
5 mins
Cook Time
8 mins
Total Time
13 mins

A kale recipe that is actually delicious! With tips on which type of kale to use and how to make sure it is not bitter!

Course: Appetizers & Sides
Cuisine: American
Keyword: kale
Servings: 4
Calories: 87 kcal
Author: Cynthia Rusincovitch
Ingredients
  • 1 large bunch kale, washed and coarsely chopped Dinosaur kale is my favorite
  • 2-3 tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes more or less to taste
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2-3 shallots, sliced into rings
  • 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
  • kosher salt and black pepper to taste
Instructions
  1. Heat coconut oil in a large saute pan. Add shallots and allow them to cook 2-3 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for one minute, stirring often to prevent burning.
  2. Add kale, broth, and salt and pepper, mix well. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, tossing occasionally. Remove the cover and continue cooking until most of the broth has cooked away. Serve hot and Enjoy!

Next Ingredient: PRETZELS

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honey-Dijon-Pretzel-Chicken-800-5913.jpg Honey Dijon Pretzel Chicken

ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 1/4 cup dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon grainy dijon mustard (optional)
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice (~1/2 lemon)
  • 1 tablespoon white miso paste (optional)
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 16 ounces chicken breast, pounded thin
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
  • 1 cup pretzels, crushed
directions

1. Mix the honey, mustards, oil, lemon juice, miso and garlic, season with salt and pepper and divide in half.
  2. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, dredge in the flour, shake off excess, dip in half of the dressing, shake off excess, press into the mixture of the panko and pretzels and place on a wire cooling rack on a baking sheet.
  3. Bake in a preheated 400F/200C oven until cooked (165F) and golden brown, about 15-25 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken breasts.
  4. Serve straight from the oven with remaining dressing.

Next ingredient: ❤️ love ❤️

Choose a recipe that you love, or that you've made often for people you love, reminds you of someone you love, or one that brings back loving memories.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Hard to decide on a favorite recipe I love but, since it is winter and holidays just passed, I chose this soup recipe.

It came from my mother and friend of hers....both great cooks.  This was part of our Christmas Eve meal for many years.  We still enjoy it on other occasions as well.  

Clam Chowder

Slice 3-4 celery ribs (including leaves), one medium onion, diced....place in a saucepan with 1/2 cup water; cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes.  While it simmers ......

In large pot mix together.....

2 cans cream of celery soup

2 cans cream of potato soup

3 cans New England Clam Chowder

(all undiluted)

1 quart half and half (I always use milk instead)

1 stick of butter (slice)

3 cans of minced clams (or chopped), drain

salt and pepper to taste

2 tablespoons dried parsley (or fresh)

Add cooked celery, onions and water to soup mixture.

Cook on low for one hour until heated through, stirring occasionally.  Do Not Boil.  This can be frozen.

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... SOUR CREAM 

Trusted Contributor

youcould add the juice from the drained clams to the celeery and onionsinplaceof the water. this would add more flavor

Honored Contributor

shortbreadlover .... Thanks, good idea!  Might try sometime.

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... SOUR CREAM