Honored Contributor

Well don't look now but 2019 just snuck up on us, goodness where did 2018 go?  Oh well on to our yearly New Year's resolutions and then all of those yummy recipes that may make us bend those resolutions just a bit . . . Widely Grinning animated emoticon

HOW TO PLAY.......

The first player of the month starts the game by posting their choice of recipe.  At the end of the text, she or he types, "the next ingredient: xxx."

(The x's represent that person's choice of any ingredient that can be included in a recipe).  

Throughout the game, the next poster in line must use the ingredient that the person ahead chose.  If you can, highlight the ingredient and/or put it in capital letters anywhere that it is used throughout the recipe.  That does make it easier for everyone to see how the game works.

Because of time or system delays, some duplicate posts occur to the same ingredient.  The next poster generally responds to the first post for the next ingredient.  Good recipes and lots of fun!!

Normally, we start out with a recipe so I will post the last one shared on the last thread and we can take it from there. @Zhills gave us our next ingredient;

CALVES LIVER AND ONIONS

4 Tablespoons EVOO (divided)
1 Cup thinly sliced onions (you can’t have too many)
¼ tsp ground sage
1 lb calf liver cut into ½” strips (across) **
Salt & pepper to taste
2 Tablespoons white wine or broth
1 Tablespoon chopped parsley

Heat 2 Tbsp EVOO in large skillet.  Add onions.  Cook over med heat stirring frequently for 8 minutes.  Stir in sage and cook for 2 more minutes, until golden brown.  Remove from pan and set aside.

**Pat liver dry and cut in strips.  Cutting when just thawed enough to cut and then thawing makes the job more pleasant.  Season with S&P. 

Add 2 Tbsp EVOO to pan and heat.  Add liver and brown quickly on all sides, 2-3 minutes.

Stir in onions and cook with liver for 2 minutes. 

Pour white wine or broth in skillet and boil 1 minute, scraping any browned bits off  bottom of pan.  

Serve over rice and sprinkle with parsley!

Next ingredient:  Eggs

Honored Contributor

Re: JANUARY 2019 RECIPE GAME

Ok, I am starting off the year a bit naughty as I just ran across this recipe hack for making the perfect scrambled eggs and to be honest I couldn't believe my eyes:

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/mad-genius-tips-poached-scrambled-eggs?utm_medium=social&xid=soc_so...

There's a part of me that's like ewww and there's a part of me that's like hey maybe that could work . . . Smiley Happy

So since I didn't supply a recipe the next ingredient remains EGGS.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Blintzes Pudding

12 frozen blintzes, 4 EGGS, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/4 cup butter, melted, 1/4 cup orange juice, 1 1/2 cups sour cream, 1/4 cup sugar. Optional, 1 tsp lemon juice.

Pre heat oven to 350. Place frozen blintzes into a greased pan. Mix in a blender the EGGS, vanilla, butter, orange juice, sour cream and sugar. Pour the mixture over the blintzes. Place in the oven and cook for 1 hour ( till the top starts to boil). 

Can easily be doubled.

Next Ingredient: CRANBERRIES

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Respected Contributor

Am I a day behind??  I thought today was 12/31/2018...

Honored Contributor

@KatieB hee no, just wanted to make sure I wasn't late starting next year . . . Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@KatieB hee no, just wanted to make sure I wasn't late starting next year . . . Smiley Happy

@KatieB I think @momtochloe just got a little bit ahead of the New Year. Brava for her!  On to a Happy and Healthy New Year to everyone!

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Trusted Contributor

we are in for a wild ride in 2019 and no one wants to be late

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

CRANBERRY Gelatin Salad

1  (16 oz) can jellied CRANBERRY sauce

1  (16.5 oz) can pitted dark sweet cherries, drained

1  (10 1/2 oz) can crushed pineapple with juice

1  (6 oz) pkg cherry gelatin 

2  cups boiling water

1  cup chopped pecans, optional

In medium saucepan over low heat, melt CRANBERRY sauce.  Cut cherries into pieces and add to melted sauce.

Stir in pineapple with its juice.  Remove mixture from heat.

In medium bowl, pour boiling water over gelatin. Stir until gelatin has dissolved.  Add gelatin mixture to the CRANBERRY mixture and stir.  Stir in the optional nuts. Pour into 9x13 pan and chill until set.

NEXT INGREDIENT .... COTTAGE CHEESE OR

RICOTTA CHEESE

Honored Contributor

Hello Jell-o Salad

1 (16 oz) carton small curd COTTAGE CHEESE

1 (12 oz) carton whipped topping

1 (20 oz) can crushed pineapple, drained

1 (3 oz) box Jell-o (any flavor)

1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Stir COTTAGE CHEESE and whipped topping together; add pineapple.  Sprinkle Jell-o over and stir together until mixed; fold in nuts.  Refrigerate until serving.

NEXT INGREDIENT .... BEETS

Honored Contributor

ROASTED BEET SALAD WITH GOAT CHEESE AND WALNUTS

8 fresh beets
8 cups fresh baby spinach
4 oz crumbled goat cheese
1 cup chopped walnuts
4 t maple syrup
1 T frozen orange juice concentrate
4 T balsamic vinegar
4 T olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Wrap beets in foil and roast for 90 minutes or until soft (time depends on size).  Cool, peel and chop.

In a small skillet toast the walnuts over medium-low heat just until you can smell them.  Turn off heat and toss in maple syrup. Let cool in pan.

Whisk together the orange juice concentrate, balsamic vinegar and olive oil.  

To serve, divide the spinach among four bowls.  Top with beets, goat cheese and walnuts,  Drizzle salad dressing.  

4 servings

NEXT INGREDIENT:

HONEY