Respected Contributor

Re: JANUARY 2019 RECIPE GAME

HONEY Cake

2 1/2 cups flour, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1 1/2 tsp of baking soda, 1/8 tsp clove powder, 1/2 tsp allspice, 2 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/3 cup oil, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 3 eggs, 1/2 cup orange juice, 1 tsp vanilla, 9 ounces HONEY, 1 cup strong coffee or strong tea, I use coffee or sometimes cappuccino, walnuts, chopped (optional), 2 tsp orange peel.

Mix first 7 ingredients together with a mixer. In a separate bowl mix oil, sugars, eggs, orange juice and vanilla until combined. Then add the HONEY and mix well and then the coffee. Pour half of the mixture slowly into the flour mixture and mix well, making sure there are no lumps. Then add the other half of the mixture. Add the nuts and the orange peel at this point. Place either tin foil or parchment paper greased, on the bottom of a large loaf pan and bake in a 350 oven for 45-55 minutes. 

Syrup: 2/3 cups sugar, 1/4 cup HONEY, 1/3 cup orange juice, 1/4 cup water, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1/4 tsp cinnamon.

In medium saucepan, combine all ingredients. Heat until sugar dissolves and simmer 5-10 minutes, till syrupy. Cool. Poke holes in the cake with a fork and pour the syrup over the cake. Let it set for 2-4 hours.

NEXT INGREDIENT:  BARLEY

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

ESTEE LAUDER'S BEEF AND BARLEY SOUP

from New York Cook Book by Molly O'Neill 

Workman Publishing Co. Inc.  1992.   Page 57

This hearty soup is the Lauder family's favored call

for dinners at home.

Ingredients:

2 pounds small beef ribs

4 beef marrow bones

1/2  cup pearl barley

1 tsp salt

1 onion, minced

4 carrots, peeled and diced

1 potato, peeled and diced

1  1/2 pounds fresh peas (I use frozen, unthawed)

1/4 pound fresh string beans, tipped (I use frozen, unthawed)

1/4 chopped fresh dill  (or 1  1/2 Tbsp dried) 

1/2 cup fresh minced parsley leaves (or 3 Tbsp dried)

2 cloves garlic, minced

Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Directions:

1.  In a large stockpot, combine the ribs, marrow bones and barley.  Add four quarts cold water and the salt and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer for one hour.

2.  Add the onions, carrots and potato and simmer for one hour more.

3.  Remove the bones from the soup.  When they are cool enough to handle, scrape off the meat and the marrow and return it to the soup.  Discard the bones.  Stir in the peas and beans and simmer for thirty minutes.

4.  Add the dill, parsley, and garlic; season with salt and pepper to taste.  Serves 6 to 8.

NEXT INGREDIENT:  GROUND BEEF 

Honored Contributor

This is so good and easy to make:

Korean Beef Bowl

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons sesame oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes, or more to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 2 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 teaspoon sesame seeds
DIRECTIONS:
  1. In a small bowl, whisk together brown sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, red pepper flakes and ginger.
  2. Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add ground beef and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the beef as it cooks; drain excess fat.
  3. Stir in soy sauce mixture and green onions until well combined, allowing to simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes.
  4. Serve immediately, garnished with green onion and sesame seeds, if desired.
 Next Ingredient:  Italian Sausage

Honored Contributor

ITALIAN SAUSAGE Rigatoni.........easy! **

1 lb. ground ITALIAN SAUSAGE

1 jar favorite spaghetti sauce

1 box rigatoni pasta

mozzarella cheese

parmesan cheese

Brown ITALIAN SAUSAGE and add spaghetti sauce; let simmer.   Cook rigatoni, drain and add sausage mixture.

Put half into baking dish and sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top. Repeat with remaining sausage and mozzarella. Top with Parmesan cheese.   Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

Freezes well.

** I recently saw the Pioneer Woman fix the same thing.  She liked to fix hers in layers of sausage/spaghetti sauce, then rigatoni alone, then mozzarella and repeat with Parmesan on top. She said you got a better taste of the different ingredients. Maybe I will try doing it that way next time.

NEXT INGREDIENT ...... GRAPES

Respected Contributor

Chicken Salad with GRAPES

Let me preface this by saying I've been making this for probably 40 years. There are no measurements. I make this for my family, when friends come over and also for parties.

I either use a chicken that I cooked myself, chicken breasts that I cooked or even bought rotisserie chicken. I cut the chicken into cubes or strips and place in a large bowl. I add to the chicken pieces, washed and cut broccoli florets, 1-2 stalks chopped celery, 2 cut up tart apples, as many GRAPES as you like, cut in 1/2, chopped cashew nuts or any kind of nut and sometimes a bunch of diced scallions. 

In a bowl, mix 2/3 cup mayonnaise, 2 tbsp dijon mustard, 1 tbsp maple syrup, 2 tsp hot sauce (optional) and 2 tsp apple cider vinegar.

I have substituted yogurt for the mayo but I didn't like it.

NEXT INGREDIENT:  POTATO CHIPS

Honored Contributor

@Coquille ok your Chicken Salad w/Grapes recipe gets my vote for best post as not only have I never seen a chicken salad quite like that but the next ingredient is my very favorite one.  Thank you my friend!

Next Ingredient:  Potato Chips

Honored Contributor

@walker wrote:

ITALIAN SAUSAGE Rigatoni.........easy! **

1 lb. ground ITALIAN SAUSAGE

1 jar favorite spaghetti sauce

1 box rigatoni pasta

mozzarella cheese

parmesan cheese

Brown ITALIAN SAUSAGE and add spaghetti sauce; let simmer.   Cook rigatoni, drain and add sausage mixture.

Put half into baking dish and sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top. Repeat with remaining sausage and mozzarella. Top with Parmesan cheese.   Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

Freezes well.

** I recently saw the Pioneer Woman fix the same thing.  She liked to fix hers in layers of sausage/spaghetti sauce, then rigatoni alone, then mozzarella and repeat with Parmesan on top. She said you got a better taste of the different ingredients. Maybe I will try doing it that way next time.

NEXT INGREDIENT ...... GRAPES

@walker actually she stole that from me . . . hee (just kidding)!  Seriously, this is exactly what I was looking for my friend and I love the idea of layering too.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, mtc.......ooooops....

NEXT INGREDIENT now ..... POTATO CHIPS

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe For you, anything! You're the best! When I see your posts, whether they're on this thread or another, I know they're always worth reading!  Have a great day!😘

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

According to the creator of this recipe:

The potato chips are layered throughout yet still retain their firm texture. (You don’t even need to add salt to the eggs, because the potato chips provide the seasoning.) You can enjoy this warm or at room temperature, with sour cream on the side. 

potato chip omelet.jpg

Potato Chip Omelet 

Ingredients:

• 12 large eggs
  • 3 tablespoons heavy cream
  • ½ teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
  • 6 cups plain kettle-cooked potato chips
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or vegetable oil

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, white pepper, parsley, and chives together until combined.

Fold in the potato chips until they are completely covered in the egg mixture, but try not to crush the chips too much.

Let stand for 10 minutes, until the chips soften slightly.

Heat the butter in an ovenproof 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, swirling the pan to coat the bottom completely, until very hot.

Carefully pour in the egg mixture and spread it evenly in the pan, then immediately reduce the heat to low.

Cook until the eggs are set and the bottom is light golden, about 15 minutes. If the bottom is golden but the eggs are still runny on the top, transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and bake until the eggs are completely set, 3 to 4 minutes.

To serve, invert a large flat plate over the pan and flip the pan and the plate to invert the omelet onto the plate. Let stand for at least 5 minutes before cutting into wedges and serving.

Next ingredient:  canned tuna or salmon

~ house cat ~