Honored Contributor

Re: JANUARY 2018 RECIPE GAME

Coquille........NEXT INGREDIENT?......you pick.....

Respected Contributor

@walker Sorry, I forgot to pick. Thanks!

Next Ingredient: Savoy Cabbage

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

Colcannon

Nice Irish dish great for this time of year!

INGREDIENTS

5 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1¾ pounds)
Kosher salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
2 leeks, white and pale-green parts only, sliced in half lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 cups (packed) shredded Savoy cabbage  (from about ¼ large head), divided
1¼ cups milk
½ cup heavy cream
Freshly ground black pepper
1 scallion, thinly sliced

RECIPE PREPARATION

Cover potatoes with water in a small pot; season with salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat and simmer until a paring knife slides easily through the flesh, 30–40 minutes. Drain, let cool slightly, and peel.

Meanwhile, melt 4 Tbsp. butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring frequently, until very soft, 8–10 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until garlic is fragrant and leeks are just beginning to brown around the edges, about 3 minutes longer. Add 1 cup cabbage and cook, stirring constantly, until wilted. Add milk and cream and bring to a simmer.

Add potatoes and remaining 1 cup cabbage, then coarsely mash with a potato masher. Season with salt and pepper.

Transfer colcannon to a large serving bowl. Top with remaining 2 Tbsp. butter and sprinkle with scallion.

0A2B4A3A-445B-42FA-9E61-23AA71E4546B.jpeg

Next Ingredient:  EGG NOODLES

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse

I'd never heard of colcannon and it looks delicious!

Thank you. I think my DH, whose middle name happens to be O'Brien, will enjoy it too.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe courtesy of Ina Garten

Ingredients

1 whole (2 split) chicken breast, bone in, skin on

Olive oil

Kosher salt

Freshly ground black pepper

2 quarts homemade Chicken Stock

1 cup medium-diced celery (2 stalks)

1 cup medium-diced carrots (3 carrots)

2 cups wide egg noodles

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Place the chicken breast on a sheet pan and rub the skin with olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until cooked through. When cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bones, discard the skin, and shred or dice the chicken meat.

Bring the chicken stock to a simmer in a large pot and add the celery, carrots, and noodles. Simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes, until the noodles are cooked. Add the cooked chicken meat and parsley and heat through.

NEXT INGREDIENT:  Pork

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@GenXmuse

I'd never heard of colcannon and it looks delicious!

Thank you. I think my DH, whose middle name happens to be O'Brien, will enjoy it too.

Oh, thank you! My husband is Irish so I have quite a few of these recipes in my arsenal!  I do hope he enjoys it!

Regular Contributor

8 to 10 Servings

8 to 10 slices uncooked bacon
2 large pork tenderloins
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 Tbsp. onion salt
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. vinegar
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup granulated sugar

Wrap bacon around tenderloins and secure with toothpicks; place in a baking dish.  Combine remaining ingredients and pour over tenderloins. Place in refrigerator and let stand overnight, turning often.

Bake at 300° for 45 minutes; turn oven to 350° and bake an additional 45 minutes.

Next Ingredient:  Gruyere cheese
Honored Contributor

I love Gruyere cheese! This recipe is also handy if you have an extra beer leftover from then holidays. 

French Onion Soup With Lager

Prep Time: 1 hour

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Yield: 4 servings

Serving Size: 1.5 cups

Calories per serving: 392

Fat per serving: 24.7g

Ingredients

2 tbsp olive oil
2 -3 large sweet onions, thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
1 355 ml bottle of lager (I used Samuel Adams Boston Lager)
6 cups beef stock
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 Bay leaf
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
4 slices french bread, cut to fit snugly into ramekins or oven proof soup bowels, and toasted
2 cups grated Gruyere cheese
Instructions

In a large stock pot or dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat.
Add onions to pot
Turn heat to medium low, and cook uncovered for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and caramelized. Watch carefully for any signs of burning, and turn heat lower if needed.
Add the beer to the caramelized onions and stir, making sure to scrape up all the brown bits on your pot.
Add the beef broth, black pepper, bay leaf and thyme, stirring well. Bring heat up to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Turn oven to 350°.
Put four ramekins on a baking sheet and ladle soup into each one.
Put toasted french bread on top of each, and pile shredded cheese on top of the toasted bread.
Bake for about 10 minutes, or until cheese melts.
Turn the oven off and turn on the broiler for about 5 minutes to give a golden crust to the cheese. (watch carefully so as not to burn)
Serve Hot

Notes

Prep time includes caramelizing the onions. This can be a vegetarian soup by substituting vegetable stock for the beef stock Reduce the sodium indicated in this recipe by using no salt or reduced salt beef stock.

7F052AC6-7398-46FE-9C28-365EEF14C6D2.jpeg

Next Ingredient: LENTILS

Honored Contributor

I will give you two.  I've I've made and one I want to make.

Warm French Lentils

Ina Garten

I had to order French lentils from Amazon.  They are different than your standard grocery store lentils.  I really enjoyed this recipe.  It is the perfect winter dish.

Ingredients:

• 2 tablespoons plus ¼ cup good olive oil
  • 1 leek, white and light green parts, sliced ¼ inch thick
  • 2 carrots, scrubbed and ½-inch-diced
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 cup French green Le Puy lentils
  • 1 whole onion, peeled and stuck with 6 whole cloves
  • 1 white turnip, cut in half
  • 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
  • 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium sauté pan, add the leek and carrots, and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute and set aside.

Meanwhile, place the lentils, 4 cups of water, the onion with the cloves, and the turnip in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, add the leek and carrots, and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, or until the lentils are almost tender. Remove and discard the onion and turnip and drain the lentils. Place them in a medium bowl and add the butter.

Meanwhile, whisk together the ¼ cup of olive oil, the mustard, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Add to the lentils, stir well, and allow the lentils to cool until just warm, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve. The longer the lentils sit, the more salt and pepper you’ll want to add.

Here's a recipe I saved to make this winter.

Sweet Potato and Coconut Milk with Brown Rice and Lentils

Ingredients

• 2-3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
  • 2 TBS olive oil
  • sea salt and pepper to taste
  • 3 TBS coconut oil, divided
  • 1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced
  • 1 tsp ground turmeric
  • 1 TBS curry powder
  • 2 TBS freshly grated ginger (from a 1 inch piece of ginger)
  • 4 c. vegetable or chicken broth
  • 3/4 c. orange juice
  • 1 c. coconut milk
  • 2 large shallots, peeled and minced
  • 1 1/2 c. cooked black lentils
  • 3 c. cooked brown rice
  • yogurt, for serving
  • fresh minced cilantro, for serving
  1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Toss the sweet potatoes with the olive oil, salt, and pepper and spread out on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast until tender when pierced with a fork, about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
  2. Melt 2 TBS of the coconut oil over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add the onion and saute until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the turmeric, curry powder, and ginger and saute until fragrant, 2 minutes more. Add the roasted sweet potato and broth and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 2o minutes, then remove from heat and carefully transfer to a blender. Add the orange juice and coconut milk and blend until very smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set soup aside.
  3. In a small frying pan, melt the remaining 1 TBS of coconut oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and saute until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the cooked lentils and saute until crispy, another 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
  4. Scoop a 1/2 cup of brown rice into each bowl. Pour soup over the rice, then top with lentils, yogurt, and cilantro.

NEXT INGREDIENT:  Chicken

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Contributor

BBQ CHICKEN PIZZA

Ingredients:

1 can Pillsbury Whole Wheat Pizza dough (or you can use regular)

Bottle of BBQ sauce

Bag of shredded cheese of your choice (I use a finely shredded, three cheese blend)

Bacon bits

2-3 boneless chicken breasts, cooked and cut into bite sized pieces

Directions:

Spread pizza dough on ungreased cookie sheet and form into a rectangle. Lightly spread bbq sauce over top and top with a layer of shredded cheese. Bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes.

While the crust is baking, cut boneless chicken breasts into bite size pieces and sauté until brown. Once cooked, coat with bbq sauce and stir well.

Remove crust from the oven and place cooked chicken pieces on top. Add additional cheese and bacon bits. Top with a little parsley.

Bake for additional 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut into squares to serve.

NEXT INGREDIENT:     Shrimp