Honored Contributor

Re: JANUARY 2015 RECIPE GAME.........TO NEW BEGINNINGS

Potato Soup

1 16 oz. pkg. frozen hash brown potatoes (slightly thawed)

1 cup chopped onions

1 14 oz. can chicken broth

2 cups water

Bring above to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes.

Slowly add 1 can cream of celery soup

2 cups milk

4 oz. Velveeta Cheese*

1 tsp. dry cilantro

Simmer ......* add cheese at the end.....top with sliced green onions, if desired.

NEXT INGREDIENT: CHICKEN

Esteemed Contributor

Easiest CHICKEN

4 skinless boneless chicken breasts

1 package organic dry Italian dressing mix 0.7 oz. (I used Good Seasons)

1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth

Coat slow cooker with cooking spray, ( I used the crock pot liners). Place chicken on bottom, sprinkle the dressing mix on top of chicken. Pour the broth over chicken. Cover cook on low 4 to 6 hours.

Next ingredient MAPLE SYRUP

Trusted Contributor

Maple Pecan Pork Chops

1/4 cup maple syrup

1/4 cup Corn Syrup

1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted

4 pork chops (boneless OR bone-in)

SALT & PEPPER

2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (I USE YELLOW MUSTARD)

2 tablespoons Corn Starch

1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger

1 tablespoon Corn Oil

Preparation

1. Combine maple syrup, corn syrup and pecans in a small bowl; set aside.

2. Sprinkle chops with salt and pepper. Spread mustard on both sides of chops.

3. Combine corn starch and ginger in a shallow dish. Dredge pork chops in corn starch mixture.

4. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork chops; cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side until chops are browned. Reduce heat to medium-low. Drizzle syrup mixture over chops. Cover; cook 4 to 5 minutes or until chops are tender, turning once carefully, if desired.

5. Arrange pork chops on serving platter; drizzle with pan drippings.

NEXT INGREDIENT: CAYENNE PEPPER

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Esteemed Contributor

Guacamole Salad

1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
?
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
?
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
?
1 (11 oz) can corn, rinsed and drained
?
1/4 cup diced red onion
?
1 minced jalapeño pepper, ribs and seeds removed (optional)
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro (optional)
2 teaspoons freshly grated lime zest (2 limes)
2 avocados, diced
juice of one lime

For the dressing:
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (2 limes)
?
1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
?
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
?

Put peppers, beans, corn, onion, jalapeño, cilantro and lime zest in a bowl. Whisk together the dressing ingredients and pour over vegetables to coat. Squeeze the juice of one lime over the diced avocado to prevent it from browning and gently mix in right before serving.

Next ingredient: egg noodles

Super Contributor

TOH Comforting Chicken N Noodles

6 oz uncooked wide egg noodles
1/4 c butter, divided
1/3 c all-purpose flour
3 t salt, divided
1-1/2 c milk
1 c chicken broth
2 T white wine or additional chicken broth, optional
4 T grated parmesan cheese, divided
1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/8 t pepper
4 c cubed cooked chicken
Paprika

Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. In a saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter. Stir in flour and 1-1/2 teaspoons salt until smooth. Gradually add milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in wine or additional broth if desired.

In a bowl, combine the noodles, 1 cup white sauce, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoons butter and 1 teaspoon salt. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish; set aside.

In a skillet, sauté mushrooms and garlic in remaining butter until tender. Stir in pepper and remaining salt. Spoon over noodle mixture. Top with chicken. Pour the remaining white sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan. Garnish with paprika.

Cover and bake at 350 deg F for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.

next ingredient: beets, fresh or canned

Super Contributor

Fifty years ago, Harvard Beets was one of the first things we were taught to make in 7th grade cooking class. (This is not the recipe). I never could understand why we needed to know this and have never made them since then. Maybe I would like them now. I do like plain canned, sliced beets with mac and cheese.

Quick Harvard Beets

3 cups sliced raw beets or 2 cans (16 oz. each) sliced beets
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. butter

In a saucepan, place raw beets and enough water to cover. Cook until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup liquid (if using canned beets, drain and reserve 1/4 cup juice.)

In another saucepan, combine sugar, flour, vinegar and reserved beet juice. Cook over low heat until thickened. Stir in beets, salt and butter. Simmer for 10 minutes.

Makes 6-8 servings.

Next ingredient in the Game will be: Italian flat green beans

Honored Contributor

Sabatini2.......I just fixed your recipe for Mom's Weeknight Macaroni to reheat for dinner when I get home later. Thanks! Very tasty....of course, had to sample! OK....continuing..... NEXT INGREDIENT.......Italian Flat Green Beans
Trusted Contributor

I grew up in my family calling these Kentucky Wonder Beans, and this was the one bean that was cooked in the pressure cooker, as they were a little tougher to cook than fresh green beans.......My grannie would put them in the pressure cooker, with a chopped up onion, and either chicken stock and rendered bacon, grease and bacon alike, or fatback and stock, or bits of stock and country ham, and pressure cook on the stove until good and tender....about 20 minutes when the giggling began.....and release pressure under cold water.......Cool

NEXT INGREDIENT: DON'T FAINT.......SPAM

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Esteemed Contributor

spam fries

Ingredients:
Sauce:
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon Sriracha sauce
1 Tablespoon ketchup
Fries:
1 quart vegetable oil for frying
2 cans Spam- cut into French fry slices

Directions:
In your blender, process garlic, salt, mayonnaise, Sriracha sauce, and ketchup. Blend until well combined. Pour it into a serving cup, cover and place into the fridge.

• Heat oil in a large skillet to 175 degrees C.
  • Cook fries in the preheated oil until browned and crispy on the outside and moist inside. Remove to a paper towel covered plate.

I worked with a girl from Guam who brought in Spam and rice. She said her mom told them it was "iguana rice" when they were young. It was tasty!

Next ingredient: Soy sauce

Super Contributor

Make-a-head Oriental Beef Stew

1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat
2 Tbsp. oil
1 cup water
1/2 cup onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup soy sauce
1-15 oz. can diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 large green bell pepper, cut in strips
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 Tbsp. water

In saucepan, brown beef in hot oil. Add water, onion and garlic. Bring to a boil; simmer, covered, for 1-1/4 hours. Cool; cover and refrigerate. When cold, skim off fat and transfer mixture to a freezer container. Label and freeze.

To Serve:
Combine frozen stew, tomatoes, soy sauce and ginger in saucepan. Cover and cook over low heat until mixture is thawed and comes to boiling, about 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add green pepper. Simmer covered for 5 minutes more. Blend cornstarch and water; stir into the stew. Cook 2 minutes until bubbly. Serve over hot white rice.

Next ingredient in the Game will be: stuffed green olives