Honored Contributor

Re: Italian Roasted Vegetables For Thanksgiving

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@ECBG  That recipe looks great, but the roadblock words for me are "serve immediately." When my turkey comes out of the oven to rest, my oyster and bread fillings go in to reheat. When they come out, we sit down. The veg has to withstand a stint in the slow cooker. Any roasted veg would have to be made the night before, because I make my pies in the morning before the turkey goes in. I need TWO OVENS!!

@PA Mom-mom I think "serve immediately" means it doesn't have to sit and develop.  I'll cover and serve after carving while the bread warms.

Respected Contributor

This would be good anytime! Make sure you’ve got plenty of crusty Italian bread to dip in the juices. Yummy!  😋 

Respected Contributor

Looks awesome. You could add parsnips or thin sliced carrots also.

doxie
Trusted Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Misplaced Parisian Let me know if I can help you adjust it. We just need to delete and replace.  Part of my background was Food Science, although, in retirement I got to do more of the Design part I love so.Smiley Happy

@ECBG  Oh, I'd love your help, please.  I have my workarounds for the mixture (my Better Batter flour, substituting mushrooms for the meat and using my homemade cream of mushroom soup).  What trips me up is the "crust".  I will use my Better Batter flour and almond milk.  From past baking fiascos using these substitutions my intuition tells me this won't work.  I think what trips up the baking is the almond milk?  Perhaps I need to add water to it or something? 

I have French blood in my veins and believe firmly in buying baked goods, not making them myself.  Smiles.  That said, when I first found out about my allergies I tried to bake myself some treats as I was missing them.  Oh dear, there is a reason I was blessed with chef skills and not baking/pastry skills.  Thank you for any insight you can share.  You are a wonderful spirit, ECBG! 

Honored Contributor

This was a dish we always had. I'm Italian and the veggies were roated w/ chicken. It was usually basted w/olive oil and a good quality wine vinegar.  This recipe has too many herbs.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

Were roasted. Please excuse the typo.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

@Misplaced Parisian wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Misplaced Parisian Let me know if I can help you adjust it. We just need to delete and replace.  Part of my background was Food Science, although, in retirement I got to do more of the Design part I love so.Smiley Happy

@ECBG  Oh, I'd love your help, please.  I have my workarounds for the mixture (my Better Batter flour, substituting mushrooms for the meat and using my homemade cream of mushroom soup).  What trips me up is the "crust".  I will use my Better Batter flour and almond milk.  From past baking fiascos using these substitutions my intuition tells me this won't work.  I think what trips up the baking is the almond milk?  Perhaps I need to add water to it or something? 

I have French blood in my veins and believe firmly in buying baked goods, not making them myself.  Smiles.  That said, when I first found out about my allergies I tried to bake myself some treats as I was missing them.  Oh dear, there is a reason I was blessed with chef skills and not baking/pastry skills.  Thank you for any insight you can share.  You are a wonderful spirit, ECBG! 

@Misplaced Parisian You can substitue vegetables and spices here, but the amount of cooking and browning needed for the roasting wouldn't take place with a batter.  A batter would take frying.Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Misplaced Parisian wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Misplaced Parisian You can substitue vegetables and spices here, but the amount of cooking and browning needed for the roasting wouldn't take place with a batter.  A batter would take frying.Smiley Happy

@ECBG  Oh, I totally misunderstood.  I was asking for your help modifying the pot pie recipe.  Ignore me...I haven't had my coffee quota yet.  

This roasted veggie recipe is just wonderful.  Thank you.

Honored Contributor

@Misplaced Parisian The pot pie crust is easy to modify.   Assuming you can have oil, just switch anything else you need to.  Just remember to keep it thin.Smiley Happy