Esteemed Contributor

I am looking for a recipe for an Italian Ricotta Cheese Cake .... my Nana used to make it every Easter & I decided to give it a try but, I can’t find the recipe.... she used to put a layer of chocolate cream on the bottom layer .... hopefully someone here might have the recipe... THANKS 🥰

Honored Contributor

Re: Italian Ricotta Cheese Cake

@January121 wrote:

I am looking for a recipe for an Italian Ricotta Cheese Cake .... my Nana used to make it every Easter & I decided to give it a try but, I can’t find the recipe.... she used to put a layer of chocolate cream on the bottom layer .... hopefully someone here might have the recipe... THANKS 🥰

@January121 

Somewhere I have one and I will try to dig it up.  It has been years since I made this and I think I know where it may be. I will look hard on Monday.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@January121 wrote:

@January121 

Somewhere I have one and I will try to dig it up.  It has been years since I made this and I think I know where it may be. I will look hard on Monday.

@Nonametoday  THANKS !!!!!

Trusted Contributor

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but your post reminded me of the most delicious lemon ricotta pancakes that a local chain restaurant here in Arizona serves. I don't know where you live or what other states this restaurant is in, but the restaurant is Wildflower Bread Company.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I found it on a somewhat greasy old 3 x 5 card (remember when we put recipes on those with little pictures in the corner).  Looked like it had been near the pan when I put the butter in.  ;-)

First turn oven to 350 (and preheat), go ahead and lightly grease a 9-inch springform pan.Mix two 8-ounce packets cream cheese (softened outside the fridge, but not in microwave or oven).  Add 16 oz ricotta cheese to the cream cheese with it in a mixing bowl and blend it well together.  Add 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar, 4 eggs, 1 T fresh lemon juice, 1 tsp vanilla flavoring, 3 T cornstarch, 3 T all-purpose flour, half cup of melted butter (cool, not hot from recent melting in oven or microwave).  Then add 16 ounces sour cream as last ingredient (this is important).  If oven has now reached the 350 degree temperature, pour the mixture into the prepared springform pan.  Bake it for 1 hour and then turn the heat off and let it sit in the oven for 1 more hour.  Allow to cool (prefer cooling in fridge to cooling on cooling rack) before serving.

I don't recall if I made these little notes about "not in microwave" etc or if the person who gave me the recipe told me this.  It was in my handwriting but I think I used to make this in the 1980s and maybe early 1990s.

Frequent Contributor

I have the same time tested recipe that I make often (from my Mother)  with the following exceptions: 

1/2 tsp lemon juice instead of 1 Tbls 

1/4 C melted butter instead of 1/2 C butter

I bake at 325 for approx 1 hour and 10 min and I increase the heat to 345 for the last 10 min; leave in the oven to cool approx 2 hours without opening the oven door.  This is what i have adapted to my oven.  The original recipe called for a cold 325 degree oven and 1 hour of baking time followed by cooling in the oven for two hours without opening the oven door.

Add cherry pie filling or whatever topping you prefer on cooled cake.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My SIL's recipe uses a crust made of amaretti cookies (she specifies Alessi brand) and butter.  She starts making the cheesecake 3 days before serving:

5 oz amaretti cookies

5 tbsp melted butter

2 lbs ricotta cheese

4 eggs, separated

3/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup light rum

1 tbsp flour

1 tbsp lemon zest

1/8 tsp salt

2 tsp vanilla

Drain ricotta cheese overnight in refrigerator in fine-mesh strainer lined with 2 layers of paper towels set over bowl.

Process cookies into 1 1/4 cups fine crumbs in food processor and pour in bowl.  Mix in 4 tbsp melted butter.  Brush bottom and sides of springform pan with 2 tsp melted butter.  Press crumbs into bottom of pan.  Bake in 325 degree oven until golden brown around edges, about 13 minutes.  Cool on rack until room temperature, about 1/2 hour.  Brush sides of pan with last teaspoon of melted butter.

Process drained ricotta in food processor for a minute until smooth.  Process in egg yolks, sugar, rum, flour, lemon zest, vanilla, and salt for a minute.  Pour into big bowl.

Beat egg whites in a separate bowl with hand mixer into stiff peaks.  Fold into ricotta mixture to completely mix in.  Pour into cooled crust.

Bake at 325 degrees until thermometer inserted into middle reads around 150 degrees, about 1 1/4 hours (sides will be firm, but middle will still jiggle a little).  Cool on rack for 5 minutes.  Run a paring knife around sides between crust and inside of pan.  Cool on rack for 3 hours.  Tightly wrap cake in pan in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Remove sides of pan and let set 1/2 hour at room temperature before serving.    

Esteemed Contributor

Oh, I haven't had this cheese cake in years. I remember it being soooo good. Thanks for the memories everyone.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametoday .....

@Nonametoday wrote:

I found it on a somewhat greasy old 3 x 5 card (remember when we put recipes on those with little pictures in the corner).  Looked like it had been near the pan when I put the butter in.  ;-)

First turn oven to 350 (and preheat), go ahead and lightly grease a 9-inch springform pan.Mix two 8-ounce packets cream cheese (softened outside the fridge, but not in microwave or oven).  Add 16 oz ricotta cheese to the cream cheese with it in a mixing bowl and blend it well together.  Add 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar, 4 eggs, 1 T fresh lemon juice, 1 tsp vanilla flavoring, 3 T cornstarch, 3 T all-purpose flour, half cup of melted butter (cool, not hot from recent melting in oven or microwave).  Then add 16 ounces sour cream as last ingredient (this is important).  If oven has now reached the 350 degree temperature, pour the mixture into the prepared springform pan.  Bake it for 1 hour and then turn the heat off and let it sit in the oven for 1 more hour.  Allow to cool (prefer cooling in fridge to cooling on cooling rack) before serving.

I don't recall if I made these little notes about "not in microwave" etc or if the person who gave me the recipe told me this.  It was in my handwriting but I think I used to make this in the 1980s and maybe early 1990s.

@Nonametoday ... THANKS SO MUCH !!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@kare29 wrote:

I have the same time tested recipe that I make often (from my Mother)  with the following exceptions: 

1/2 tsp lemon juice instead of 1 Tbls 

1/4 C melted butter instead of 1/2 C butter

I bake at 325 for approx 1 hour and 10 min and I increase the heat to 345 for the last 10 min; leave in the oven to cool approx 2 hours without opening the oven door.  This is what i have adapted to my oven.  The original recipe called for a cold 325 degree oven and 1 hour of baking time followed by cooling in the oven for two hours without opening the oven door.

Add cherry pie filling or whatever topping you prefer on cooled cake.

@kare29  .... THANKS 🥰