Honored Contributor

Italian Lemon Cookies 🍋🍪

I'm more of a cook than baker, but I enjoy baking for the holidays

This looks like a delicious cookie and a not too complex recipe. Enjoy!

81CD8818-A1F1-4AA1-8960-D23FE57A2494.jpeg

Italian lemon cookies—AKA tarallucci al limone or taralli al limone—are a traditional southern Italian treat. Originally served at weddings (to symbolize tying the knot), they’re now commonly found at holiday gatherings for Easter or Christmas. A soft but sturdy dough is flavored with lemon juice and zest, then rolled into a knot. After baking, it gets dipped in a lemon-y glaze and finished with more zest

Store these cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for 5 days. Freeze the formed, unbaked dough for up to 3 months.

Yields: 36

Prep Time: 15 mins

Total Time: 1 hour 30 mins

Ingredients

Cookies

• large eggs
  • 1 c. (200 g.) granulated sugar
  • 1/2 c. extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 c. heavy cream
  • Zest of 1 lemon

• 1/4 c. lemon juice
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 5 1/4 c. (630 g.) all-purpose flour, plus more for surface

Glaze

• 1 1/2 c. (170 g.) powdered sugar
  • 4 tbsp. fresh lemon juice, divided
  • lemons

Directions

Cookies

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment.
  2. In the large bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat eggs and granulated sugar on high speed until sugar is incorporated and eggs are slightly fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in oil, cream, lemon zest and juice, baking powder, vanilla, and salt on low speed until just combined, about 1 minute. Add flour and mix on medium speed until a soft, tacky dough forms, about 2 minutes.
  3. Transfer dough to a work surface and divide into 3 portions. Cover 2 portions with plastic and set aside.
  4. On a lightly floured surface, divide dough into 12 (2-tablespoon) portions (about the size of a golf ball). Roll each to an 8" rope. Wrap rope into a circle, then tuck one end through the center to create a knot. Arrange on a prepared sheet. Repeat with remaining dough, spacing 2" apart with 12 per sheet.
  5. Bake cookies until lightly golden brown, 14 to 16 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
  6. Make Ahead: Cookies can be made 5 days ahead. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.

GLAZE

1.  In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and 3 tablespoons of lemon juice until a thick glaze forms. Whisk in more lemon juice, 1 tablespoon at a time, until a thick-yet-runny glaze forms.
  2.  Dip top of each cookie in glaze, then set on a wire rack or a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment. Grate lemon zest over tops of cookies before glaze has fully set. Let set before serving, 15 minutes.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

Re: Italian Lemon Cookies 🍋🍪

Mmm, I love lemon , I must try these. 🍋

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for sharing!  I love baking Italian cookies at the holidays and am always looking for new recipes to try.  This looks similar to an Italian cookie I make with ricotta and lemon.  I'll have to find the recipe.  

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

oh those look yummmmmmy. My oldest daughter and I love lemon desserts.  We will have to make these.  And we have a lemon tree in our back yard...another way to use our lemons.  thanks sooo much.

Esteemed Contributor

MY MOTHER MAKES THOSE EVERY CHRISTMAS AND THEY ARE MY ALL TIME FAVORITE!!

SHE CALLS THEM ITALIAN EGG BISCUITS!

THANKS FOR POSTING YOUR RECIPE!

I, TOO, AM A MUCH BETTER COOK THAN BAKER, BUT I HAVE MADE MY MOM'S RECIPE OF THESE.

Respected Contributor

@Chi-town girl   Oh yum!   You bake please and I'll eat!😃.  I'll bring over your choice of beverage.  Thank you 

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Honored Contributor

@weezer111 wrote:

MY MOTHER MAKES THOSE EVERY CHRISTMAS AND THEY ARE MY ALL TIME FAVORITE!!

SHE CALLS THEM ITALIAN EGG BISCUITS!

THANKS FOR POSTING YOUR RECIPE!

I, TOO, AM A MUCH BETTER COOK THAN BAKER, BUT I HAVE MADE MY MOM'S RECIPE OF THESE.

@weezer111 - you're welcome & tell your Mom to wish me luck - I hope my 'egg biscuit' cookies are equally loved by my family 😊 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Esteemed Contributor

YOU ARE THE BEST CHI!!!!!

WILL TELL MY MOM!!  XOXO

Respected Contributor

These cookies look delicious 😋 

Esteemed Contributor

@Chi-town girl - these sound delicious - let us know how they turned out.