Trusted Contributor

Italian Feast of the Seven Fishes

Just curious if anyone else celebrates Christmas Eve with the Feast of the Seven Fishes.  We still do, but sometimes don't have 7 dishes anymore.  What's your favorite dish?  Frying up perch is one of our traditions..... so good!  My least favorite dish is smelt.  But my husband loves them.

Respected Contributor

Re: Italian Feast of the Seven Fishes

@Knit-Chick   Sometimes I make crab sauce (that I obtained thirty years ago from an Italian American friend and co-worker in Connecticut) to serve over spinach fettucine (so red sauce and green noodles for Christmas colors) and always have shrimp cocktail, and stuffed clams, or baked cod with mornay sauce over spinach, or baked flounder stuffed with crabmeat, shrimp, scallops and buttery crackers, and served with ravigote sauce.

So, not all seven fishes but enough, considering the work and the expense.  And, I am not even of Italian descent but love this cuisine.

aroc3435 

Trusted Contributor

@aroc3435  your crab sauce sounds wonderful!  and I agree, it can end up being a very expensive dinner!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Knit-Chick  We are not Italian, but we have been celebrating with our neighbors for 30 years. There are usually 10 or more fishes. I guess my favorites are the mussels marinara, shrimp scampi, scallops in bacon, and clam sauce over linguine. Not much of a fan of the fried smelts, or the smoked oysters, or smoked whiting. Some years we do lobster bisque and oyster stew. They are not traditional, but are good just the same. This year I'm responsible for the mussels. Pressure!!

Respected Contributor

We have friends who do this.  I had never heard of it before they told us.  They do everything from fried haddock to spaghetti with clam sauce.   The large family has a designed chef who makes it all -- he loves to do it.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

I remember as a child my mother and her 4 sisters would make this meal. Between the fish smell and the pizzelles I have nightmares! 🤮🤮🤮❤️

Esteemed Contributor

I've never heard of the Seven Fishes, but I'm not of Italian heritage! I'm half each of Norwegian and German, so I grew up with oyster stew on Christmas Eve. I think it's wonderful that families still carry on traditions!

Honored Contributor

If I had to eat 7 fishes, I'd do: 2 lobster tails, 2 grouper bites and 3 oysters on the half shell!  Yum!

Honored Contributor

@Knit-Chick wrote:

Just curious if anyone else celebrates Christmas Eve with the Feast of the Seven Fishes.  We still do, but sometimes don't have 7 dishes anymore.  What's your favorite dish?  Frying up perch is one of our traditions..... so good!  My least favorite dish is smelt.  But my husband loves them.

Hi  @Knit-Chick   we celebrate as well.   Just like you, we don't have 7 dishes anymore.  

This year, we will be having scrimp scampi over linguine. My husband and son don't like most fish,  and this is the one dish we all like. 

Merry Christmas!  

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Trusted Contributor

@PA Mom-mom good luck with your mussels!  That's one dish we don't have.  My hubby LOVES the smelts.  I remember having to help my grandma clean them with my other female cousins.  I used to think that was awful!  But now it's a wonderful memory!

Merry Christmas!