Esteemed Contributor

It's time for MUFFINS! Please share your favorite recipe(s)!

It's winter and it's cold. In the craving/eating part of my brain there are several things I NEED at this time of year and one of them happens to be muffins. I've got a bunch of recipes used over the years, but really make only about 6 of them and would love to expand my muffin horizons with your recipes. Please help us make happy times with your favorites recipes, be they sweet or savory. Thank you!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: It's time for MUFFINS! Please share your favorite recipe(s)!

Aside from my bran muffin recipe, here is my go-to and most asked for muffin recipe at my house.

Michigan Berry Muffins

After visiting relatives in SW Michigan, we headed north and enjoyed many stops as we worked our way to Lake Superior. On the way to the light house on the lake, which has a museum commemorating the ships and men “lost at sea” on Lake Superior, we stopped at a cherry stand. It was there that I picked up this recipe. Once home, I added the grated peel of one lemon and pecans, to up the ante. Enjoy!

Plump3/4 cup dried cherries or cranberries by placing them in a small bowl and covering with boiling water or apple juice for 20 minutes. Drain well before adding to recipe.

Sift together and set aside:

2 cups a/p flour

3 tsp. baking powder

½ tsp. salt

¼ cup cane sugar

For Later:

1 lg. egg, room temp

1 cup reg. milk, room temp

2 Tbs. melted reg. butter

¾ cup plumped dried cherries/berries of your choice

Grated peel of one lemon (fine grate)

1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Heat oven to 375. Using a cupcake/muffin pan, either place paper liners inside each cup or grease each cup with Crisco or butter.

In a separate bowl, beat together 1 egg, 1 cup milk and melted butter. Fold in dry ingredients just until moistened, so outcome is a tender muffin. Next, stir in plumped cherries/berries, lemon peel and pecans (optional).

Spoon into muffin cups, filling 2/3 full. Bake on middle rack in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Makes 12.

Contributor

Banana Nut Muffins

1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened

1 cup sugar

2 large eggs

2 large ripe bananas, mashed

2 cups flour

1 teapsoon salt

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup buttermilk

1/2 cup chopped pecans

1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 12 standard-size muffin pan cups or use paper liners

Beat together butter and sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas until smooth.

Mix together flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.

Alternately stir flour mixture and buttermilk into egg mixture until dry ingredients are just moistened.

Stir in nuts and vanilla. Do not overmix butter; it should not be completely smooth.

Spoon batter into prepared pan, filling two-thirds full. Bake until lightly golden, 15-18 minutes.

Transfer muffin pan cups to wire rack to cool slightly. Turn out onto rack. Serve warm.

i got this from 1997 Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, Trish, for your banana nut muffin recipe. I can't believe I don't have this in my collection, so really thank you for it!

Honored Contributor

Both the berry and banana ones are going to added to my recipe file.

Super Contributor

I've been a child care provider for over 30 years and I've baked a lot of muffins. Hands down the all time favorite muffin is:

Edith's Banana Muffins (with chocolate chips)

1/4 c soft butter

2/3 c sugar

3 very ripe bananas

2 large eggs, room temp.

1 t soda

2 c flour

2/3 c mini chocolate chips

Cream butter and sugar together. Mix in bananas, blending well. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Continue beating and add soda and flour; mix well. Fold in chips. Spoon batter into oiled muffin tins (may use muffin paper liners. . . I prefer to use my Temptation muffin pans without paper liners) and bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until golden and tests done. Serve warm. . .Although I prefer to allow muffins to cool in pan and remove/store in tightly covered (Lock & Lock) container. Makes 12 regular muffins.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi lork,

Thank you for sharing your banana and mini chocolate chip muffin recipe. I'm really glad now to have 2 banana muffin recipes. And, until today had not had one with any chocolate in it, so thanks a second time!

Honored Contributor

I love chocolate chip muffins. Actually, I love muffins! I don't make them often and when I do I use a box mix, but they still turn out great!

Valued Contributor

My mother uses a box mix as directed, and then adds a ton of fresh blueberries to it. Amazing!

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the blueberry muffin (Michigan) I copied and saved it. From your post I did go and get my Pillsbury Muffins and Quick Breads cookbook. I really need to stay away from too much of this. But I want to use up the baking things I have. New Year, new you and me at the house.

Trying to think health and we don't need this, although I love bread(s).