Trusted Contributor

Been on a Israeli salad kick, which is made of chopped (& seeded) raw tomato, onion and Persian cucumber, and can also include chopped red, yellow, or green pepper, fresh parsley. The salad is dressed with either fresh lemon juice or olive oil, or both. Various versions on YouTube too. The Persian cukes are the mini cukes (sold everywhere now) and are quartered for the salad. According to things I've read about this salad, the Middle eastern culture prepare and often eat this at breakfast, lunch and/or dinner. It's a staple at their table. It's really refreshing and good. Easy to prepare. I used Roma tomato for their firmness. Don't add dressing until just before serving so it stays firm. I found a new wishbone dressing which goes well with this salad.IMG_1600.JPG

IMG_1599.JPG

⚓️
Esteemed Contributor

Nice and healthy and, like you said, very refreshing.  Sounds like a salad I'd enjoy.  Of course, I'd add some feta and croutons to make it delicious for me!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Israeli salad

[ Edited ]

II've also added a few grinds of this. IMG_1601.JPGBetter picture of it

IMG_1602.JPG

⚓️
Honored Contributor

I make the base of this salad and sometimes add chopped avocado.

Respected Contributor

@phoenixbrd @LoveMyBaby @Citrine1 Before I retired I used to get a version of this for lunch from a Farmer's Market that was held on Wednesdays from a vendor that added couscous to this.

Thanks for posting.  I can now replicate this and at it to my rotation of entrees.  Always looking for new ideas to jazz up my repetoire.

Honored Contributor

In 2016, Beebee2 posted a salad similar to  this but it was called Kibbutz Salad (you can search above for it)

She had the following homemade dressing for the salad that is to die for and all natural...

Dressing:

3 T sunflower oil
1 T fruity olive oil
1 T wine vinegar
1 T lemon juice
1 fat clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
1 level t salt
10 grinds black pepper
1 t superfine sugar
1 T snipped fresh mint, or
1 t dried mint
2 T chopped parsley

I have made her Kibbutz salad many, many times.  I have also used the above dressing on tons of things!

@Beebee2  If you are still out there...THANKS!

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

Nice and healthy and, like you said, very refreshing.  Sounds like a salad I'd enjoy.  Of course, I'd add some feta and croutons to make it delicious for me!

@Citrine1

we make this often as a side dish for dinner and sometimes add feta cheese.

we call it salad shirazi.

everything has to be chopped very small.......tomato, onion (red, white, or spring), persian cucumbers (which  you dont even have to peel), parsley, sea salt, freshly ground pepper, lime or lemon juice, and olive oil. tastes great when you add good crumbled bugarian or french feta.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

That sounds delicious @sunshine45.  I like everything chopped small in all of my salads.  Even my lettuce.  

Your dressing sounds good.  I'll try it.  

New Contributor

Love Israeli salad, make it a lot. tomatoes,onions,cucumbers-diced real small.Chopped parsley, S & P, 2 TBS each of EVOO & fresh squeezed lemon juice. So refreshing and So simple!!

Honored Contributor

This is also wonderful with rice or especially farro for a cold salad. Thanks to all who posted it!  Tonight it may be this and a can of tuna!