Valued Contributor

Re: Instant mashed potatoes - best one???

I quit making mashed potatoes from scratch when I discovered SIMPLY POTATOES in the refrigerated section at Harris Teeter . They taste just like homemade.

Honored Contributor

image.png

Contributor

Thanks Reilly.  I don't shop much at Walmart so I tend to forget about them.  I'll try to see if I can get the Reds there.

Respected Contributor

We like Simply Potatoes - the version with the lowest sodium content. They’re in the refrigerated case. I used to microwave it, but it’s even easier to heat up in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Just stir it occasionally, add a little butter and it tastes great! They’ll never know they’re not homemade if they don’t see the package.

Respected Contributor

Another vote for Bob Evans!😋

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@spent2much wrote:

We love our homemade mashed potatoes, but sometimes (as in a Shepherd's Pie recipe) I like to use instant... SO much easier.  I used to buy Betty Crocker potato buds and they were delicious.  They're not the same any more. Smiley Sad  Have you found an instant one that's *really* good?  TIA

simply potatoes in the refrigerated section of the grocery store....ours are usually near the eggs.

schwans home delivery frozen mashed potatoes. quite good for being frozen.

for something different on top of shepherds pie, try a layer of tater tots!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I've never seen or perhaps noticed Simply Potatoes. I'll have to look for them. I'm interested in trying them.

Regular Contributor

Trader Joe's has frozen potato buds.  Microwave for 2 minutes.  They are divine.

I occassionally doctor them with cream cheese or sour cream.  

I've also had the Bob Evans which are quite good.  

Esteemed Contributor

I use Bob Evans for Thanksgiving every year!   My family doesn't know any difference.  I microwave 2-3 packages, dump them in my crockpot that has been sprayed with cooking spray, dot with butter, then add 2-3 more microwaved packages dotted with butter.  

If I need instant, I use Idahoan.  I have also used real homemade mashed potatoes and mixed them with Idahoan instant to double the amount of potatoes for large gatherings.  No one seems to notice that the potatoes aren't all homemade! 

Honored Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

I've never seen or perhaps noticed Simply Potatoes. I'll have to look for them. I'm interested in trying them.

@colliemom4 

their hash browns are excellent!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein