Honored Contributor

Ina's Salmon Teriyaki & Broccolini

A blogger with 'limited kitchen skills' posted her recommendation for this easy, yet delicious meal. Instead of rice, the blogger made the Roasted English Potatoes as the 2nd side dish.

I love the idea/recipe to make your own teriyaki sauce Heart We LOVE to make homemade chicken teriyaki bowls so I will make a extra batch of the sauce for extra meals

IMG_0761.jpg

• 3 tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce, such as Kikkoman
  • 1½ tablespoons pure maple syrup
  • 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
  • ¼ teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
  • 4 skinless salmon fillets (2 to 2 ½ pounds total)
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 pound broccolini, lower third of the stems discarded
  • Steamed white basmati rice (recipe follows)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Arrange two racks evenly spaced in the oven.

In a small saucepan, combine the vegetable oil, soy sauce, maple syrup, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, and hot red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil over medium heat, lower the heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Set aside off the heat.

Arrange the salmon fillets, rounded sides up, in a baking dish just large enough to hold them with a little space in between the fillets.  Sprinkle the salmon with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper and spoon the soy sauce mixture evenly over the fillets. Roast the salmon for about 12 minutes for rare and 15 minutes for medium, depending on the thickness of the fillets.

Meanwhile, prepare the broccolini. Place the broccolini on a sheet pan, drizzle it with 4 tablespoons olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss with your hands. Ten minutes before the salmon is done, roast the broccolini on the second oven rack until crisp/tender.

Divide the hot rice between 4 shallow bowls and top each with a salmon fillet and some broccolini. Spoon the sauce from the salmon over the salmon and rice and serve hot.

Steamed Basmati Rice (Serves 4)

• 1 cup white basmati rice, such as Texmati
  • 1¾ cups water
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt

Combine the rice, water, butter, and salt in a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil, lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender and fluffy. You may have to pull the pot halfway off the burner to keep a simmer. Fluff with a fork and serve hot

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Trusted Contributor

Re: Ina's Salmon Teriyaki & Broccolini

That looks delicious

Honored Contributor

I try to make sauces, salad dressings, glazes etc from scratch because the bottled stuff contains preservatives and typically a high sodium level as well as unnecessary sugars. 

Most times its not difficult to make and usually better flavor as well a better health option. Why buy bottled when you can do better! 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

So that's what is in teriyaki, eh?  I always have all those ingredients!

Thanks so much for posting @Chi-town girl 

I am on AD for the salmon for Q.  This will be a nice change!

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

So that's what is in teriyaki, eh?  I always have all those ingredients!

Thanks so much for posting @Chi-town girl 

I am on AD for the salmon for Q.  This will be a nice change!

@RespectLife  - you're welcome!  

Have you used the foil packet process for roasting salmon (or other fish like halibut)? We do it on the grill or in the oven.  Delish! Super easy, add your fav veggies and very little clean up!

0C4A9139-1.jpg

Honored Contributor

Yes we have @Chi-town girl   thanks!

Our fav way these days is in the Smoker or Air Fryer!