Honored Contributor

Ina Garten's Outrageous Garlic Bread

I'm going to make this tmrw to compliment the Mississippi Pot Roast. Of course, it's the perfect compliment for spaghetti or any pasta dish.

From Ina's Modern Comfort Food cookbook

image-0-2.jpg

S E R V E S  8

12 tablespoons (1½ sticks) unsalted butter

1 head garlic, cloves separated and peeled (see note)

1 cup freshly grated Italian Parmesan cheese

2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

2 teaspoons grated lemon zest

¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 (20 to 24-inch-long) crusty French baguette

Fleur de sel or sea salt

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. (Make sure your oven is clean or it will smoke!)

Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Add the garlic, stir to coat with the butter, and cook, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is very tender. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside until cool enough to handle.

Mash the garlic in the butter with a fork. Stir in the Parmesan, parsley, lemon zest, red pepper flakes, 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.

Slice the baguette in half lengthwise and place both halves, cut sides up, on a cutting board. Score each half diagonally (don’t cut all the way through) in large serving-size pieces. Spoon all of the garlic mixture generously on the cut sides of the bread. Cut each half of the baguette in half crosswise along a score and place the four pieces on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.

Bake for 5 to 7 minutes, until the topping is bubbly and starting to brown and the bread is crisp. Transfer to a board, cut in serving pieces along the scores, sprinkle with fleur de sel, and serve warm.

Make ahead: Prepare the garlic mixture up to 3 days ahead and refrigerate. Warm it slightly in a microwave to make it just spreadable, then prepare and bake the bread just before serving.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ina Garten's Outrageous Garlic Bread

@Chi-town girl  Compliment? That's a meal all by itself! Looks sooo good!

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Chi-town girl  Compliment? That's a meal all by itself! Looks sooo good!

@PA Mom-mom  - LOL, yes, it is a meal in itself! 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Respected Contributor

There seems to be a missing Note at the foot of the recipe, referencing  peeling garlic cloves.

The three easiest ways to peel garlic (that I know of) are:
1.  Slightly crush each clove individually with a chef’s knife (lay the knife blade flat against the clove, and give it a little pound with the heel of your hand.)

2.  Put all the separated cloves in a covered bowl or box and shake vigorously.  The container needs to be large enough to allow the cloves to collide during the shaking.

3.  This is one I have not tried with garlic, but know it works with pearl onions: Give the separated cloves a quick dunk first in boiling water (30 seconds or so), then into cold water to cool enough for handling, then slip the skins off.
Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Good catch @IamMrsG , thank you!

This is info about prepping the garlic from a blogger that tested the recipe:

Before adding garlic to the pan, you'll need to separate and peel the cloves from one head. 

It sounds like a lot of prep. But, as always, Garten has some handy tips. 

"Peel the garlic by smashing each clove lightly on a board with a chef's knife," she writes in her cookbook. "Or place the cloves in a small pot of boiling water for 15 to 30 seconds and the peels will come right off." 

I went with the first technique and then added my cloves to the saucepan, making sure to coat them with the melted butter. Then I covered the pan for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally per Garten's instructions. 

605ba83e0d155e0019ef695a.jpg

Respected Contributor

@Chi-town girl  Smashing with a chef's knife has been my go-to method for, well, let's just say a very long time.  If memory serves, the shake in a bowl method came from Martha Stewart.  Besides for onions and garlic, the quick dunk in boiling water is also the way I skin nuts.  Oh, and tomatoes--you need to let them sit in boiling water just until you see the first split in the skin, cool them enough for comfortable handling, then the skins will peel right off.   

I'm a firm believer in working smart instead of hard.   Woman Happy

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@Chi-town girl  Smashing with a chef's knife has been my go-to method for, well, let's just say a very long time.  If memory serves, the shake in a bowl method came from Martha Stewart.  Besides for onions and garlic, the quick dunk in boiling water is also the way I skin nuts.  Oh, and tomatoes--you need to let them sit in boiling water just until you see the first split in the skin, cool them enough for comfortable handling, then the skins will peel right off.   

I'm a firm believer in working smart instead of hard.   Woman Happy

@IamMrsG  - good tips, thank you! Good to see you!!!

Trusted Contributor

@Chi-town girl   Let us know how it turned out.  I never cooked garlic like that.  I'm assuming that would make it more mellow.  

Honored Contributor

What a great side for Italian night menus!

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you, @Chi-town girl ! Upcoming weekend is Lasagna Bash. This is going to be a great accompaniment!