Super Contributor

Re: Ina Garten's Herb-Roasted Turkey Breast

This is the recipe I’m using. I’ve never made a turkey breast so I’m a nervous wreck. My mom makes ALL of Ina’s recipes and they’re all fantastic so I’m sure this will be a winner.
Super Contributor

I made Ina''s Herb roasted turkey breast for a few Thanksgivings! It was good, but maybe I had a slightly different recipe because I don't remember putting in mustard. 

Anyway, it was good, but we've gotten hooked on Honeybaked turkey and ham and now I just buy those. The major benefit is that it frees up room in my oven for the side dishes! 

Valued Contributor

@Chi-town girl 

Thank you very much for posting the recipe for the turkey breast.Heart

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Mellyg wrote:

Thank you for sharing @Chi-town girl .  I'm going to give this a try! Because I'm a vegetarian, I always feeel tremendous pressure with turkey (I think family is secretly sketpitacal of a vegetarian making a trukey, lol). 

@chickenbutt wrote:

I wonder why there is no browning on Ina's turkey breast.   Not dogging her, as I like her very much, but I'll take Nightowlz' turkey breast over Ina's.

@chickenbutt , I have always put butter under the skin, as well as brush generous amounts over the turkey (expert the wings). I believe that's what gives it the appealing golden color. 

While I've always thought it was a great idea to put the butter under the skin I have never tried that.  Maybe this time. Smiley Happy   I do brine it and also make a bit of a dry rub that I put on the outside.

Valued Contributor

@Nightowlz 

Thank you. I think putting the butter under the skin is a good idea. I will try that Thursday, along with butter on the outside.

Honored Contributor

@CaliKat wrote:

@Nightowlz 

Thank you. I think putting the butter under the skin is a good idea. I will try that Thursday, along with butter on the outside.

So...to put the butter under the skin of the turkey, do I just make small slits all over the breast and tuck in the butter?

Respected Contributor

Sounds great except for the mustard, but that's just me.  

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs   No you don't put slits in the skin.  As the larger opening of the turkey faces you take your index finger and poke it under the flap on one side of the backbone and gently slide from side to side and back and tuck your softened butter and fresh or dried herbs if using them. Repeat for the other side of the backbone.  Try to avoid tearing as much as possible.

You might be able to find a video of someone doing this online if my word description isn't clear enough.

You still then butter the outside of the turkey as well.

Hope this helps.

aroc3435

Washingtonn, DC

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I usually brine my turkey.  After a nice, long soak, pat dry, slather with butter and a sprinkle of salt and pepper, maybe some poultry seasoning.  This year it’s just DH & me.  I won’t be making a traditional stuffing inside the bird so I’m thinking of tossing a couple of lemons and some fresh thyme in the cavity.  Ina’s seasoning mixture sounds good for the outside.  

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435   Thanks for the explanation...If I had not asked, I would have 'slit' marks all over my turkey!