Honored Contributor

Ina Garten's Herb-Roasted Turkey Breast

Page-126-web-horizon.jpg

SERVES 6 TO 8  BEGINNER

• 1 whole bone-in turkey breast (6½ to 7 pounds)
  • 2 tablespoons good olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
  • 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons dry mustard
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage leaves
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
  • 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
  • ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • ¾ cup dry white wine

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Place the turkey breast on a rack in a roasting pan, skin side up.

In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, mustard, rosemary, sage, thyme, salt, and pepper. Rub the mixture evenly all over the skin of the turkey breast. (You can also loosen the skin and smear half of the paste underneath, directly on the meat.) Pour the wine into the bottom of the roasting pan.

Roast the turkey for 1½ to 1¾ hours, until the skin is golden brown and an instant-read meat thermometer registers 165 degrees when inserted into the thickest and meatiest area of the breast. Check the breast after an hour or so; if the skin is overbrowning, cover it loosely with aluminum foil.

When the turkey is done, remove from the oven, cover the pan with aluminum foil, and allow the turkey to rest at room temperature for 15 minutes. Slice and serve warm with the pan juices.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

Re: Ina Garten's Herb-Roasted Turkey Breast

[ Edited ]

This looks delicious and I love it's a beginner level recipe because when it  comes to turkeys, I'm out of my element. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for posting, @Chi-town girl !

I think the real secret here for moistness and flavor is to let the dry rub rest on the meat for a while before roasting. (Like @novamc1 posted.)

Then the resting period afterward.

Of course, the wine adds to the whole flavor experience!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

That looks exactly like my turkey.

I use marjoram, celery seed, and poultry seasoning, cooking in a bag at 325.  Moist even when it's cold.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yum. Thanks for sharing.

Dh is going to make a Ham & Turkey Breast on the Pit Boss for Thanksgiving. He will be dropping off half the stuff at his mom's house.

I made this turkey breast in the air fryer 2 yrs ago. I used Meredith's (Blue Jean Chef) recipe as a guideline. It turned out really good. 

Air Fryer Turkey Breast.PNG

Valued Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

Yum. Thanks for sharing.

Dh is going to make a Ham & Turkey Breast on the Pit Boss for Thanksgiving. He will be dropping off half the stuff at his mom's house.

I made this turkey breast in the air fryer 2 yrs ago. I used Meredith's (Blue Jean Chef) recipe as a guideline. It turned out really good. 

@Nightowlz ,

Your turkey looks scrumptious! Would you happen to have a link to Meredith's recipe, or the exact name of it so I can google it?

Honored Contributor

I wonder why there is no browning on Ina's turkey breast.   Not dogging her, as I like her very much, but I'll take Nightowlz' turkey breast over Ina's.

Honored Contributor

@CaliKat wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

Yum. Thanks for sharing.

@Nightowlz ,

Your turkey looks scrumptious! Would you happen to have a link to Meredith's recipe, or the exact name of it so I can google it?

@CaliKat - I think this is the receipe

Air-Fried Turkey Breast with Herb Butter

Prep Time 15 mins
Cook Time 50 mins
Total Time1 hr 5 mins

This recipe for turkey breast with herb butter is an easy way to get some great flavors incorporated into your turkey, plus it sort of self-bastes as the butter under the skin melts and spreads over the meat.

Servings: 8
Calories: 427 kcal
Author: Meredith Laurence

INGREDIENTS
  • 5 to 6 pounds whole turkey breast, rib bones trimmed
  • ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
GRAVY (OPTIONAL)
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • ¼ cup brandy or white wine
  •  cups rich turkey or chicken stock
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce
  • drippings from the roast turkey
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Start by making sure the turkey breast will fit into your air fryer. Trim the rib bones with a pair of sharp poultry scissors if necessary to make sure the turkey will fit nicely and not sit higher than the top of the basket.
  2. Combine the butter, chopped fresh herbs, salt and freshly ground black pepper in a small bowl. Gently slide your fingers underneath the skin of the turkey to loosen the skin away from both sides of the turkey breast. Place a third of the herb butter under the skin, massaging it over the turkey breast. Repeat with the other side. Melt the remaining herb butter in a small saucepan (or in the microwave) and brush it all over the skin of the turkey breast, or flatten the butter with your hands and let it rest on top of the turkey.
  3. Pre-heat the air fryer to 350°F.
  4. Place the turkey breast skin-side up in the air fryer basket. Air-fry for 20 minutes at 350ºF. Turn the turkey breast over so that it is now skin-side down. Use a turkey baster to suck up some of the juices from the bottom drawer and baste the turkey breast with the drippings. Air-fry for another 20 minutes.
  5. While the turkey is air-frying, make the gravy on the stovetop if you choose to do so. Pre-heat a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the butter and let it melt. Add the flour and whisk the butter and flour together, cooking for about 2 minutes. Add the brandy or white wine and let it bubble and thicken. Then, whisk in the stock, continuing to whisk until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Season with salt, freshly ground black pepper and the Worcestershire sauce and then set the gravy aside.
  6. Turn the turkey breast back over so that it is once again skin-side up. Baste again with the juices from the bottom of the air fryer drawer and air-fry for another 10 minutes, until the skin is crispy and the turkey reaches an internal temperature of 165°F on an instant read thermometer.
  7. Place the turkey breast on cutting board and let it rest for at least 15 minutes before carving. While the turkey rests, pour the juices from the bottom of the air fryer into a measuring cup or fat separator. Let the juices sit for 10 minutes and ladle or pour off the grease that rises to the surface. Strain the drippings and either add them to the gravy or just pour the juices over the sliced turkey breast.
Nutrition Facts
Air-Fried Turkey Breast with Herb Butter

Amount Per Serving
Calories 427Calories from Fat 171

% Daily Value*
Fat 19g29%
Saturated Fat 10g50%
Cholesterol 177mg59%
Sodium 907mg38%
Potassium 669mg19%
Carbohydrates 4g1%
Fiber 1g4%
Sugar 1g1%
Protein 57g114%

Vitamin A 585IU12%
Vitamin C 2.1mg3%
Calcium 49mg5%
Iron 1.8mg10%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

@CaliKat wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

Yum. Thanks for sharing.

@Nightowlz ,

@CaliKat 

I did go by the recipe @Chi-town girl  posted Thank you.

I rubbed it down with olive oil before sprinkling with spices. I also put pats of butter under the skin.

Valued Contributor

Thank you for sharing @Chi-town girl .  I'm going to give this a try! Because I'm a vegetarian, I always feeel tremendous pressure with turkey (I think family is secretly sketpitacal of a vegetarian making a trukey, lol). 

@chickenbutt wrote:

I wonder why there is no browning on Ina's turkey breast.   Not dogging her, as I like her very much, but I'll take Nightowlz' turkey breast over Ina's.

@chickenbutt , I have always put butter under the skin, as well as brush generous amounts over the turkey (expert the wings). I believe that's what gives it the appealing golden color.