Regular Contributor

In search of some good and healthy dinner time recipes

[ Edited ]
I hate cooking in the summer! It is 90+ here in Southern CA , and although I love to cook ......it is my least favorite thing to do when it is hot. I make lots of salads, pizza on the barbecue , and grill fish, turkey burgers and chicken. I need some new recipes. Or at least some good marinades to change up,the chicken and fish. We do not eat beef.❤️
Last night was chicken tacos and tonight grilled salmon. Also need some side dishes other than salads.
Frequent Contributor

Re: In search of some good and healthy dinner time recipes

"Sinner time recipes"   I don't have any but you gave me my laugh for the day !  Thanks.....

Respected Contributor

I use canned beets with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar a little salt and pepper.  I make it right before eating and serve at room temperature. Do not cook the beets.   

Respected Contributor

I love breakfast for dinner. Quick, easy and can be done on a griddle.  

I also love my Ninja 3n1, electric pressure cooker, and rice cooker.  They are easy to fix meals in them without heating up the kitchen.  I also use my counter top oven which is also a rotisserie, so roasting chicken is easy in it.  The crockpot is also good.

Since it is summer, we have plenty of fresh veggies and fruits for our meals, and grilling, either out or on the griddle/grill, is the best for not heating up the house.  I'm in the very humid south of Georgia, so we know heat.

Frequent Contributor

A nice pasta salad with fresh crisp vegetables and a ligh vinegarette always reminds me of summer.  Kabobs too.  Some pineapple, chicken and sweet pepper kabobs marinated in an asian sauce over a nice bed of greens is pretty simple and fairly light.  Throwing a little fruit on a salad really helps lighten it up and makes it more summery too.....like grilled chieken with strawberries, walnuts or almonds and a raspberry vinegarette is a nice version.  Sometimes just roasting vegetables you haven't eaten in awhile can be a nice change - like roasting cauliflower, zuchinni, beets, etc. drizzled with a little olive oil and some nice italian seasonings or garlic can be really good.  If you aren't afraid of a little spice, some peppers like chile peppers mixed in with a little citrus such as lime, lemon or orange can be awesome too.  Happy cooking!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do not use my oven in the Summer. I make a few different Chicken Salads that taste completely different. 

I have several "Skillet Meals" that I make, Stuffed Pepper meal, Unstuffed cabbage, Spanish rice, Mexican rice  and here is the latest one I have tried...

American Goulash in skillet

Ingredients

• 1 lb Ground Beef
  • 1 Onion, chopped
  • 2 tsp Minced Garlic
  • 2 cups Water (with beef flavor)
  • 28 oz Crushed Tomatoes
  • 2 tsp Oregano**
  • 2 tsp Basil**
  • 1 Tbsp Tomato Paste  
  • Salt to taste  
  • 2 cup Elbow Macaroni, uncooked

**OR 2 tsp Italian Seasoning

Instructions

• In a medium pan, brown ground beef over medium heat.
  • Drain excess fat.
  • Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is slightly tender.
  • Add remaining ingredients stir well and bring to a simmer.
  • Cover and cook for 20 minutes until macaroni is tender.

Honored Contributor

I grew up there and lived in Orange County before moving to the Seattle area.  I used to make large composed salads as main dishes.  Think seafood salad or Cobb salad.  I also served cold meals such as chicken adobo cooked ahead of time.  Good thing was I always lost weight in the summer heat because eating just makes you hotter!!!

Trusted Contributor

Cranberry Chicken:

1 can of whole cranberry sauce

1-2 Tablesp of low salt soy sauce

3 Tablesp margarine

1 tsp fresh lemon juice

Heat all the above ingredients until margarine is melted.   Poor over chicken and bake on 350 for 35 min.   I don't cover mine.   The cranberry topping that runs off turns into a nice sauce for the chicken.   Then I make some wild rice or bismati whole grain rice (I use the Uncle Ben microwaveable packets). and serve with the chicken.

You add toasted almonds if you like.

Trusted Contributor

Cold pasta salad sounds good.

I chop carrots, black olives, cucumber, zucchini, onions, green and red bell peppers, celery.   I add a bit of cheese and grape tomatoes.   I use Italian dressing with lemon juice and a bit of rice vinegar and mix it all together and chill for a few hours.  I'm not a big spice person, but you could add celery seed and pepper, etc.

So good.   It's a meal fo me.