Frequent Contributor

Re: In search of a moist lemon pound cake recipe

The Barefoot Contessa recipe is my fav, too. I have made that one for desert when we have company and serve it with icecream........oh my.......a true delight. My two daughters love that cake, too.

Honored Contributor

d/p

Honored Contributor

On 1/20/2015 shoekitty said:

in the past I have made other lemon cakes (pound cakes) and I have used a mix and they were good. But you don't realize how fresh and good the home made cake is until you compare them!The barefoot contessa is a totally different experience. You don't get the after taste of a boxed mix. The slicing texture is different, and well....the lemon butter aroma ...oh my!!! It has a refreshing fresh lemon taste/aroma without being bitter.

Try the Barefoot Lemon Cake. I think it is her hallmark recipe. Another old fashioned easy cake of hers is the the Old Fashioned Banana Cake, oh sweet mother of Bob Dylan....it is a keeper!

Trusted Contributor

hands down Barefoot Contessa, you know when you use the zest of 7 lemons it has to be lemony

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/lemon-cake-recipe.html

I want to make this recipe and wonder how well it freezes. What do you think? It makes 2 loaves and I don't dare have that much on hand. lol...If I'm going to go to the trouble to make it I don't want to halve the recipe, either.

Of course, I suppose I could give one loaf away...then again, maybe not. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Member Since 11/20/2008
Valued Contributor

On 1/24/2015 Divine said:

hands down Barefoot Contessa, you know when you use the zest of 7 lemons it has to be lemony

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/lemon-cake-recipe.html

I want to make this recipe and wonder how well it freezes. What do you think? It makes 2 loaves and I don't dare have that much on hand. lol...If I'm going to go to the trouble to make it I don't want to halve the recipe, either.

Of course, I suppose I could give one loaf away...then again, maybe not. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I made these Lemon Cakes Friday night to have Saturday for dessert for family members dropping by for lunch. It was a huge hit! Don't think these cakes could not be moist! You can definitely taste the lemons all through the cake, each addition has lemon in it! This cake "melts" in your mouth!! this is going to be my "go to" lemon cake from now on. We ate 3/4's of one loaf and I gave the other loaf to family members to take with them!! not safe to keep, it wouldn't have lasted long! Would be interested to know if it would freeze well too?

I used 8 lemons and the powered buttermilk w/water (I never have whole milk at home so couldn't do the vinegar thing) and don't keep buttermilk around either.

Regular Contributor

I'm making the Lemon Buttermilk Pound Cake on onceuponachef.com today. I think it's on the home page. It's a lovely website -- take a look if you are not familiar with it. If any onf you have made this cake, let me know!

Honored Contributor

On 1/25/2015 CountryMusicGal said:

I'm making the Lemon Buttermilk Pound Cake on onceuponachef.com today. I think it's on the home page. It's a lovely website -- take a look if you are not familiar with it. If any onf you have made this cake, let me know!

Countrymusicgal, I went to that website and couldn't leave for about half an hour. I saw several recipes that I might try. Beautiful step by step pictures, too. Thanks for sharing.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Trusted Contributor

I went ahead and made the Ina Garten Lemon Cake today. Oh my goodness, it's heavenly! Now I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the second loaf. If my daughter-in-law can't get by to pick it up tomorrow I'll probably send it to work with my dear husband. One way or the other I'm going to have to get that loaf out of reach. ha..ha...

No one ever posted back if this cake freezes well, or not. So, I'm not sure if I should give that a try.

The bottom line is that this recipe is the bomb! Thanks Shoekitty!

Member Since 11/20/2008
Regular Contributor

Mmsfoxie: I made the lemon pound cake and it is delicious. I used 1 T lemon juice and 1C milk instead of the buttermilk and it worked perfectly. I think would add a bit of vanilla to the batter next time and maybe nix the lemon/confectionery sugar glaze in favor of a cream cheese glaze (perhaps with a bit of lemon juice or zest). But that is a lovely website, isn't it?

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, y'all for posting Ina's recipe!! I just made her Orange Chunk cake, and I couldn't believe how moist that was. From the buttermilk?

Once everything is combined, don't overbeat! That helps, too!