Esteemed Contributor

Re: If you make your own trail mix....

@house_cat   Holy cow that looks good!!   I love everything you put in, however,  DD doesn't like raisins, dried cranberries or banana chips.  You know what that means, I'd have to eat it all myself so it didn;t go to waste. lol

Respected Contributor

Toasted, unsweetened coconut flakes. Homemade is so much better, but it is expensive. Esp. when you add dried apricots, macadamia nuts and other. EnjoySmiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Your trail mix looks delicious and very healthy.....I'd need to have some salted nuts in there though. I like the addition of some dried apricot pieces too (as someone else mentioned). I may have to come up with a recipe that includes everything I love! Thanks for the great idea!

Honored Contributor

I make our own trail mix. DH is trying to watch sugar intake so I use mixed nuts or whatever is on sale at Sprouts..but no peanuts (DH can’t have them) a few raisins or craisins... very few due to sugar...and small pretzels or wheat Chex squares and sugar-free chocolate chips (Hershey’s). I put just a few choc chips and craisins or raisins....just enough that he can see them. Dr. told him never to eat banana chips due to the oil used...high in sat fat. I think almost any homemade trail mix has to better than the stuff sold in stores. Have never found any of it very good.
Honored Contributor

I have seen the tiny Reese’s cups in the baking aisle..they are with the chocolate chips and other things to add to cookie dough.
Honored Contributor

You can cut down the cost by getting some of the things at Costco in bulk...they have huge bags of Craisins and nuts. I look at Sprouts..,they have over a dozen different trail mixes in their bulk containers. I look at their mixes and get ideas for making my own.
Honored Contributor

I make trail mix and granola for gift giving at Christmas. My basic trail mix recipe is peanuts, walnuts, sunflower seeds,roasted pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries and if I can find white choc. bits that are good quality I put those in. I like the Guittard brand( not sure of the spelling), but can't always find them.