Esteemed Contributor

If you like burgers, you've gotta try Chef Flay's recipe. OMG!!!

[ Edited ]

Have seen Chef Flay make this perhaps 3 times and couldn't stand it any longer - it looked so good.  Made this burger last night for dinner, with brioche buns, and both of us declared this one not only a winner, but the best burger we had ever had.

This recipe is far more than just slap a patty on a grill, add a slice of processed cheese, ketchip, whatever, and take a bit.  This is the real deal and it's FABULOUS!  I hope someone can enjoy it as much as we did.

Mesa Grill’s Green Chile Cheeseburgers

Bobby Flay, June 22, 2015

Serves 4

Queso Sauce

1 Tbs unsalted butter

1Tbs flour

1 cup whole milk

12 oz Chihauhua or Monterey Jack cheese, coarsely grated

¼ cup grated parmesan cheese

Salt and freshly grated pepper

Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute.  Add the milk, increase the heat to high and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.  Remove from the heat and whisk in the cheese until melted; add the parmesan and season with salt and pepper.  Keep warm.  [I have an LG glasstop stove, so did not rise to his temps, which would have ruined the roux and queso. Found it necessary to add more milk.]

Green Chile Relish

1 medium poblano chile, roasted, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced

2 Hatch chiles (or Anaheims), roasted, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced

1 serrano chile, roasted, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced

[pickled jalapenos-chopped, if you need extra heat or big pinch of cayenne]

¼ cup red wine vinegar

1 Tbs honey

2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil

3 Tbs chopped fresh cilantro

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Combine chiles, vinegar, honey, olive oil and cilantro in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Let sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before serving.  The relish can be made 1 day in advance; bring to room temperature before serving.

Pickled Red Onions

1-1/2 cups red wine vinegar

¼ cup water

2 Tbs sugar

1 Tbs kosher salt

1 medium red onion, peeled, halved and thinly sliced

Bring vinegar, water, sugar and salt to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.  Put the onions in a medium bowl [not plastic], pour the vinegar over, cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 48 before serving.

Burgers

1-1/2 pounds ground beef

1 Tbs canola oil

4 hamburger buns, split and lightly toasted [we like brioche]

12 blue or yellow corn tortilla chips, coarsely crushed [Bobby=Blue]

1. Heat your griddle or large sauté pan over high heat. Add the oil and let heat until it begins to shimmer.
  2. Shape the ground beef with your hands into 4 round patties about 1-1/2” thick and season each burger on both sides with salt and pepper. Cook the burgers until golden brown on both sides and cooked to medium, about 8 minutes. [Took much less time on my LG range.]
  3. Place the burgers on the buns and top each with a few tablespoons of the queso sauce, chiles, onions and chips.

*Anything placed in brackets or underlined is my add.

Trusted Contributor

Re: If you like burgers, you've gotta try Chef Flay's recipe. OMG!!!

It does sound good, but rather complicated. I'd have to prepare some of this a day or two in advance -- no way I'd have enough time to do it all at once.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

This sounds wonderful ! Michael Simon make something similar this week,a burger with a jalapeño fondue sauce, pickled onions and chips. Oh he also added crisp bacon and chips. He gave Bobby Flay credit for the chip idea. It looked amazing .

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

This sounds wonderful ! Michael Simon make something similar this week,a burger with a jalapeño fondue sauce, pickled onions and chips. Oh he also added crisp bacon and chips. He gave Bobby Flay credit for the chip idea. It looked amazing .

@QVCkitty1

I saw that as well!  Looked absolutely wonderful.  Yesterday I actually thawed apple smoked bacon in anticipation of frying a few strips to add to the burger.  But after giving it some thought, I wanted to give the recipe a go as created and am so glad I did.  This burger doesn't need bacon.

Super Contributor

Does anyone remember the crosse and blackwell's barbecue relish?  It was so delicious on burgers.  I have reached out to several places for the recipe but have never found it.  

Honored Contributor

sfnative.....thanks for posting recipe.....lots of time for trying different burgers this summer!  Recently I purchased Chef Tony's new cookbook.  In it he has a recipe for juicy cheeseburgers that is very good too!  Now, I have two new burger recipes.  

And, to Nadine O, I do not remember Crosse and Blackwell's barbecue relish.  I need to look for that or maybe it is no longer available (?). 

Esteemed Contributor

@LonestarBabs wrote:

It does sound good, but rather complicated. I'd have to prepare some of this a day or two in advance -- no way I'd have enough time to do it all at once.

@LonestarBabs

I totally get your point.

You can easily make the pickled onions and chiles sauce ahead.  I'd make the onions 2-3 days ahead and the chiles the day before.  The cheese sauce is one of those things that must be made  as stated in the recipe.  Also, keep the milk on hand, as a little of extra milk may be needed.  I had to add extra, as my husband purchased the cheap market brand Monterey Jack cheese and it was definitely inferior.   He just doesn't get it when I tell him to buy the real thing, not garbage cheese.  In our area, I always like to purchase Tillamook cheese.  But he saved $1.00 on the cheap stuff and nearly ruined the sauce.  Just not worth it in my book.  Know what I mean?