Honored Contributor

Re: If you had a package of ground beef and one green cabbage....

I love a well seasoned burger patty and I love cabbage too. I would saute the cabbage until it was soft and sweet then add it to cooked pasta---such a delicious combo, those 2 --then a burger patty and a green salad. My grocer has Beefalo---beef and buffalo--that is hugely flavorful. It makes an incredible burger.

Respected Contributor

I second the suggestion for burgers and coleslaw.  One of my favorite meals, meatloaf, roasted potatoes and coleslaw.  

Use remaining cabbage and make haluski with bacon and homemade dumplings.  Fattening for sure, but comfy meal if you live in a cold climate.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat

I keep telling myself that one of these days, I'm going to try a cabbage saute or stir-fry.  We don't eat much cabbage because DH doesn't love it, but I do.    Have saved several recipes..

Ina Garten says to melt  2 tablespoons butter in large saute pan or heavy-bottom pot over medium heat.  Saute cabbage 10-15 minutes until it begins to brown.  Season to taste.

Another recipe calls for a saute of cabbage, onion and bell pepper in hot bacon drippings for 5-6 minutes until crisp-tender.  Stir in 1 tablespoon lite soy sauce, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire, salt and pepper to taste and cook about 2 minutes more.

Top with crumbled bacon.

@house_cat

Edited to add:

You might also try to find a recipe for a cabbage and egg noodle combination that uses onion, garlic, chicken broth, and bacon or other ingredients.  Maybe ground beef can be worked into that type of dish.

No other suggestions are in my head right now for the ground beef and cabbage combo.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1

I often sautee it in a bit of olive oil and butter until softened and season with salt and pepper. DH and I both love it this way.  My mom used to add boiled potatoes.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

On the farm we often had long pieces of cabbage in a cast iron frying pan with bacon drippings.  I don't use bacon drippings, but a little butter, soy, and pepper work today.

The vegetables don't really change.  We do, LOL!!!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Hamburgers with the ground beef and coleslaw with the cabbage!  Burgers and coleslaw go well together.

Honored Contributor

Brown the hamburger meat.  Pour off the fat.  Cut up the cabbates, boil with red onions sliced and water salted, possibly add some chicken broth, a few small potatoes and about the time the cabbage have become very tender, put the meat in, pour off all the water you would not want and you have soup.  I grew up eating cabbage soup cooked with hamburger meat.  We owned a restaurant and it was a big hit.

Cabbage, potatoes, onions, hamburger meat, chicken brother (you can add some beef bullion if you wish to give it more flavor or add garlic or whatever spices).  Cabbage makes a lot of water itself, so do not put too much water in it to boil it.  Judge the amount you would like.  It makes a great cabbage/potato and meat soup, very healthy as well.

Honored Contributor

@Nicnacsmommywrote:

Pinto Bean Casserole and Cooked Cabbage 

@Nicnacsmommy

We ate lots of pinto beans growing up.  Could you share your recipe?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I'd throw the cabbage out and make cheeseburgers or spaghetti with meat sauce.

Respected Contributor

a smoothie? lol, just kidding house cat :-)