Trusted Contributor

Ideas to use up giant Costco size packs of produce?

I really want to take advantage of the savings on Costco produce, but it's just DH and I.  So far all I've purchased are the apples and berries and we don't have a problem eating those before they go bad.

Do you have any recipes or tips for using up other bulk produce items in Costco sizes?  TIA!

Honored Contributor

Re: Ideas to use up giant Costco size packs of produce?

If you have a blender, you can put a lot of fruit (and sometimes veggies) in smoothies.

Contributor

With the 6 pack of peppers, we make stuffed peppers. 4 for dinner, 2

for lunch.

Super Contributor

I purchase the power greens....Wilt in skillet with light olive oil and garlic, salt and pepper. Delicious!

Esteemed Contributor

I make a rice salad with precooked Basmati rice  diced red onion , lightly cooked frozen or fresh peas (drain off water) ,  also add  lightly steamed green beans cut in  3rds for bite size. Mix Dijon mustard & Newman's  Italian dressing , salt  freshly &  ground pepper . Pour dressing over the rice & vegetables . Feta cheese can be added to the top .

Esteemed Contributor

I've never been in a Costco but assume they offer same products as any other grocery store.

FoodSaver Machine  would be your best friend.....buy family pack of chicken....perhaps 6 pieces, put one or two pieces in F-S ad vacuum seal bag for freezer & future use.  Price per pound is far less $$ than buying smaller individual store packages.   $3.98 per lb vs $2.75  (example)

Ground beef - meatloaf - steaks - anything.......divide and freeze dinner portions.

Esteemed Contributor

@PilatesLover  I admire your ambition! We gave up buying Costco fresh produce when the children left home. Now, we only buy grocery and frozen items at Costco, and buy produce at the supermarket. Even the three cucumbers are too much for us.

Respected Contributor

Try to google "vegetarian recipe+ squash", or whatever.  You can have your pick according to what type of produce you have at that time.  Good luck.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

I use "green bags" to store Romaine lettuce, we always use it up before it goes bad.  I had to give up on the 3 English cucumbers.  Sometimes I buy the broccoli which entails a big batch of soup.  Now I have a bag of califlower which I'm going to rice most of it in the food processor.  I like that for breakfasts with scrambled eggs seasoned with Penzey's salsa blend, sometimes adding other veggies.  I also have a package of mushrooms, not sure how they'lll get used but with eggs, pizzas, soups and casseroles and I like them sauteed in a garlicy sauce.

I used to buy the chopped squash to make dog food but no more.  It had a very short freshness period so if you buy it, plan on using it soon.

Respected Contributor

Find a few other couples that want to split it up.