Respected Contributor

Ideas needed for canned red salmon

I've had a big can of Bumble Bee Wild-Caught Red Salmon for quite a while and need inspiration to use it.

Do any of you have favorite recipes for canned salmon?

The can displays a recipe for "Salmon Kedgeree"  containng chopped boiled egg, cheese and several other things, to be cooked with rice in a saucepan.  Doesn't sound good to me.

Would prefer a great  salad or casserole idea.

Respected Contributor

Re: Ideas needed for canned red salmon

[ Edited ]

@novamc1   LOVE LOVE LOVE the Red Salmon.  The pink is good too.   I use it in a mixed  salad,   or I make Salmon Patties out of it.  There are so many recipes.    SOOO GOOD.

Honored Contributor

Make any kind of rice or grain cold salad (add tomatoes, onions, olives, bell peppers, cucumbers etc. and a light oil and vinegar dressing) and add the salmon.

Winter?  Make a hot rice dish, such jambalaya or perloo or paella, and top it with canned salmon.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

As a kid my Grandparents would take a can of salmon. Break it up/mash then mix with mayonaise  add finely chopped red onion  and celery.  Mold into patties .

You can fry the patties  and serve with a lemon dill  dressing  or serve cold  with tomato slices either way was good

Honored Contributor

Your Kitty will love it !!

≈^••^≈

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I'd make salmon patties and dill sauce!

Dill Sauce

1/2 C sour cream

2 TBSP mayonnaise

1 slice of fresh lemon squeezed

2 TBSP  Dried dill

Mix well.  Cover, chill.

I take the skin of of prices of canned salmon and remove the round bones.  I leave the thin straight bones because they are high in calcium.

I squeeze out any liquid.

In a bowl, I mix

Cleaned canned salmon

4 crumbled saltines

1 raw egg

2 TBSP of milk.

Mix with a fork.

Form into patties the size of hamburgers and drop into a med warm skillet heavily sprayed with olive oil.

Brown on each side.

Honored Contributor

I love salmon, but only buy the skinless and boneless 6 oz cans for whatever I make.  I have about 5 in the pantry now, wondering what to do.

I once bought a large can of salmon and was shocked to see all those bones that needed to be picked through and removed.   Why would anyone want to take the time to deal with all those bones? 

I couldn't possibly leave the bones in.

--------------

On another note -

I use the 6oz cans of salmon and make a salad the same way I make my tuna salad.  Unless you have another idea, you can use the same ingredients you use for your tuna salad. 

A salmon salad sandwich is a very tasty lunch.  

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I love salmon, but only buy the skinless and boneless 6 oz cans for whatever I make.  I have about 5 in the pantry now, wondering what to do.

I once bought a large can of salmon and was shocked to see all those bones that needed to be picked through and removed.   Why would anyone want to take the time to deal with all those bones? 

I couldn't possibly leave the bones in.

--------------

On another note -

I use the 6oz cans of salmon and make a salad the same way I make my tuna salad.  Unless you have another idea, you can use the same ingredients you use for your tuna salad. 

A salmon salad sandwich is a very tasty lunch.  

@Tinkrbl44 I don't leave those little round bones in either. Because I eat them when I'm taking the skin off.

Respected Contributor

i only use can salmon for salmon patties. Pick out the bones and skin and then mix with saltines, finely chopped onion, egg and pan fry.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I'd make salmon patties and dill sauce!

Dill Sauce

1/2 C sour cream

2 TBSP mayonnaise

1 slice of fresh lemon squeezed

2 TBSP  Dried dill

Mix well.  Cover, chill.

I take the skin of of prices of canned salmon and remove the round bones.  I leave the thin straight bones because they are high in calcium.

I squeeze out any liquid.

In a bowl, I mix

Cleaned canned salmon

4 crumbled saltines

1 raw egg

2 TBSP of milk.

Mix with a fork.

Form into patties the size of hamburgers and drop into a med warm skillet heavily sprayed with olive oil.

Brown on each side.

Thanks for the recipe. This is how my Mom made it ,with the saltine crackers. Now I can make it. We didn't have the dill sauce, but I will now. Sounds so good.