Honored Contributor

Re: Idea for side dish to bring to BBQ ?

@jannabelle1 wrote:

Baked beans.....if I didn't have much time, I'd buy 2 or 3 large cans of Bush's baked beans - put them in an aluminum pan, add a couple slices of slightly pre-cooked bacon on top and bake them. I know that's the easy way, and some would rather make something home made. Either way, you can't go wrong with sweet and smokey baked beans! They're good either hot or room temperature.

@jannabelle1  I like to mix the big can of grillin beans Bush's makes with a can of their original baked beans and maybe a can of regular kidney beans or black beans, add a good squirt of ketchup, another one of yellow mustard, and an equal amount of maple syrup, then put the bacon on top and bake, and put under the broiler if you need to to crisp the bacon..  

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

In this heat, no mayo..............if at all possible.  

I never remember that because I never put the food outside in warm weather  and in the summer it's COLD in my house!  

Honored Contributor

@YouGoGirl1 once my cherry tomatoes start to ripen, I'll be making your BLT salad.

Honored Contributor

I like to make creamy cucumber salad in the summer.

Regular Contributor

For an easy dessert....

But the mini cream puffs they sell in the freezer dept, some strawberries, kabob skewers and a can of chocolate frosting.

On the skewers alternate a mini cream puffs with a strawberry.  Add a bit of milk to the frosting.  Put that into a baggie, but off the top and drizzle it on the kabobs.  Instead of frosting chocolate could probably be used also.

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

In this heat, no mayo..............if at all possible.  

That's what I was just going to say.  My family has barbeques all the time and I'm always asked to bring the same thing - homemade mac n cheese in an old Pyrex Portable that I have. You can still make the same thing but with a vinaigrette base instead of mayo and as for what to put it in - lots of disposable containers where you don't have to worry about retrieving a dish!

Respected Contributor

@RetRN

Can you share your recipe for a creamy cucumber salad?

Would love to have it.  I know a lot of cucumber lovers, ,and I haven't done a creamy one before.

Honored Contributor

Cucumber salad:

1/2 cup sour cream

3 Tbsp. white vinegar

1 Tbsp. sugar

pepper to taste

Whisk together, then add

4 medium cucumbers, thinly sliced

1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced

Cover, refrigerate.

Another cucumber salad recipe:

5 medium cucumbers

1 pint sour cream