Respected Contributor

Re: Idea for side dish to bring to BBQ ?

[ Edited ]

3 bean salad - would look nice in one of those white or clear plastic bowls sold in supermarket and you can leave behind.  no mayo to worry about.

Honored Contributor

@qvc chick wrote:

Any suggestions?  Was thinking maybe a cold pasta salad.

Also, without using one of my temptations bowls, what would I transport it it?  So I wouldn't worry about leaving it there.

If you have a Dollar Tree store nearby, they have great bowls and other serveware.

Super Contributor

watermelon  pieces, cool and refreshing!

Respected Contributor

Just watched Ina (barefoot contessa) and she made a cold corn salad that has a large number of great reviews...simple, easy, in season now and a big hit for a crowd.

Just a thought

Honored Contributor

For a crab feast I used to go to, I used a large size foil roasting pan from the dollar store.  Filled it with a variety of fresh fruit.  In the past, I've cut up:  watermelon, canteloupe, strawberries, pineapple, and sometimes mango or honeydew.  I'd also add fresh raspberries, blueberries and grapes.  Never had a morsel to bring home, and the pan just would get tossed.

Honored Contributor

This is a refreshing salad or dip

2 15oz. Cans of black beans , drained and rinsed well

1 17oz. Pkg frozen corn, thawed

2 Lg diced tomatoes

1 avocado, chopped

1 sm. Onion diced

1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves

2 Tbs. lime juice 1 Tb. Red wine vinegar

S&P to taste

mix together and serve with tortilla chips or as a condiment with grilled chicken.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Make a big pan of brownies.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Just Bling wrote:

Just watched Ina (barefoot contessa) and she made a cold corn salad that has a large number of great reviews...simple, easy, in season now and a big hit for a crowd.

Just a thought

I've made this corn salad a million times.  It's fantastic and easy to double or triple if you are feeding a large crow.

Fresh Corn Salad

Ina Garten

5 ears of corn, shucked

1/2 cup small-diced red onion (1 small onion)

3 tablespoons cider vinegar

3 tablespoons good olive oil

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/2 cup julienned fresh basil leaves

In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the corn for 3 minutes until the starchiness is just gone. Drain and immerse it in ice water to stop the cooking and to set the color. When the corn is cool, cut the kernels off the cob, cutting close to the cob. Toss the kernels in a large bowl with the red onions, vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Just before serving, toss in the fresh basil. Taste for seasonings and serve cold or at room temperature.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

That's crazy that someone makes that corn salad from Ina and gives a testimony that it's good....

it's on my menu for tomorrow.

I bought fresh basil, a brand new red onion and now need to pick up fresh corn...the rest I have.

Honored Contributor

We did ours on Sunday and I took just took a Betty Crocker Classic Pasta Salad and only mixed in a can of Margaret Holmes Okra, Tomato, and Corn with the seasoning mix.  No oil as listed on box so saves on calories.  Did deviled eggs and instead of mayo used low fat ranch dressing.  Carried cut up cantaloupe and Triple Fudge Cream Cheese brownies, (here is where saved calories are used).

Also did Frito corn salad to go with my son's ribs, potato salad and red pepper/jalapeno homemade bread.

Frito salad:

• 1 12 oz bag frozen corn kernels thawed.
  • 2 cups grated cheddar cheese.
  • 1 green pepper diced.
  • 1/2 cup red onion finely diced.
  • 1 cup mayonnaise.
  • 1 tbsp taco seasoning.
  • 1 10.25 oz bag Fritos crushed (or Chili Cheese Fritos)
  • pepper to taste.
"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."