Respected Contributor

Icing for Gingerbread cookies??

Happy beautiful holidays to everyone here!! I'm going to bake Gingerbread cookies , what icing is the best to decorate the details and hold up?
Respected Contributor

Re: Icing for Gingerbread cookies??

[ Edited ]

kingarthurflour.com  

They have all the answers to your baking ?s. Plus they have people, live, on the phone to ask ?s. Give them a try.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:
Happy beautiful holidays to everyone here!! I'm going to bake Gingerbread cookies , what icing is the best to decorate the details and hold up?

@Dazlin Just google ROYAL ICING. This is the classic icing used for this. If raw egg white is called for in a recipe you like there are specially treated  fresh eggs widely available in groceries stores that can be used raw. Theresa also egg white posters and other safe and easy ways to do this. Royal icing is easy. If you don’t have a decorating bag there are plenty of online directions for making a quick homemade substitute for one. YouTube also has a tutorial for this. You can aldo buy a deciratibg bag or you can frost the cookies with a butter knife. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like Royal Icing to decorate cookies.  This recipe replaces raw egg whites with meringue powder:

1/4 cup meringue powder (I buy Wilton brand)

1/4 tsp salt

3 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar

3/4 cups cool water

Stir meringue powder and salt in big bowl.  Slowly stir in water until dissolved.  Let sit for 5 minutes.

Mix with electric mixer at low speed until forming small bubbles.  Mix in sugar, gradually adjusting mixer speed upward until fluffy. 

Cover bowl with damp towel, and cover that with plastic wrap to maintain fluffiness.

Honored Contributor

I am not used to posting in the Mobile version. Sorry I didn’t edit my post but I don’t see where the Edit is.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I like Royal Icing to decorate cookies.  This recipe replaces raw egg whites with meringue powder:

1/4 cup meringue powder (I buy Wilton brand)

1/4 tsp salt

3 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar

3/4 cups cool water

Stir meringue powder and salt in big bowl.  Slowly stir in water until dissolved.  Let sit for 5 minutes.

Mix with electric mixer at low speed until forming small bubbles.  Mix in sugar, gradually adjusting mixer speed upward until fluffy. 

Cover bowl with damp towel, and cover that with plastic wrap to maintain fluffiness.

@deepwaterdotter   You are kind to share your recipes.   I have copied quite a few of them.

You must be an amazing cook!  Love to have dinner at your house!

Happy holidays, Deep!!

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

@MershaThanks for the kind words.  I'm not sure about amazing, but my husband never  misses a meal.  Most of my recipes come from years of collecting recipes from friends and family, ex-coworkers, and ripped out of cooking magazines.  I would welcome you at my table anytime.  Can you imagine all the years of watching tennis we could discuss?  

OT:  Did you see where Caroline Wozniacki is retiring from tennis after the Austrailian Open?  She never really rose to the level of the top players, but who could with the Williams sisters in the mix?

Enjoy your holiday Mersha! 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Image1.jpg

Royal Icing

• tablespoons meringue powder or powdered egg whites
  • cups (1-pound box) powdered sugar
  • 4 -6 tablespoons water

• Gel paste food coloring (such as Wilton)
  • Vodka

1. Royal Icing To prepare icing, in a medium bowl beat together meringue powder or powdered egg whites, powdered sugar, and water 10 minutes or until peaks form. (Use 4 tablespoons if you plan to pipe icing, or the larger amount if you plan to spread it. Adjust consistency with small amounts of water or sugar, as needed. Royal icing is quite forgiving.)

2. To Decorate 
  3. Spread tops of cooled cookies with Royal Icing. Allow icing to dry completely (overnight is ideal).
  4. Dab gel paste food coloring on a plate, like a palette, or in tiny bowls, and dilute or mix as you like, using vodka. (Unlike water, vodka evaporates quickly as it dries, so the icing won't get soggy.)
  5. Rinse brush between colors.

Respected Contributor

Thank you all so much! Where would I buy meringue powder? Also, Is there anything ready made, store bought, I could use for icing these cookies?
Respected Contributor

Dazlin, did you look at Kingarthurflour website? They have everything you need for baking!