Honored Contributor

Re: Iceberg Lettuce Recipe (great for summer)

@AuntG wrote:

Seven layer salad was always a favorite at potlucks. In fact, I'm going to get a head of lettuce and make it for us soon. I'm not sure what all the layers are, but hard boiled eggs, bacon, frozen peas, cheese and onion will all be a part of my salad.

I used to make this often years ago, but I didn't put eggs in.  My layers were:

lettuce

peas

green onion

mayo

sugar

cheese

bacon 

Amish Broccoli - Cauliflower Salad is my go to these days. It has a sweetened mayonnaise based dressing, shredded cheese, and bacon.  Really good. 

Trusted Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

Seven layer salad was always a favorite at potlucks. In fact, I'm going to get a head of lettuce and make it for us soon. I'm not sure what all the layers are, but hard boiled eggs, bacon, frozen peas, cheese and onion will all be a part of my salad.

lettuce

peas

green onion

mayo

sugar

cheese

bacon 

Amish Broccoli - Cauliflower Salad is my go to these days. It has a sweetened mayonnaise based dressing, shredded cheese, and bacon.  Really good. 

@JeanLouiseFinch 

Really?  How much sugar comprised a layer?

Honored Contributor

@vabreeze wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

lettuce

peas

green onion

mayo

sugar

cheese

bacon 

@JeanLouiseFinch 

Really?  How much sugar comprised a layer?

@vabreeze It wasn't much, just a sprinkle over the mayo. Here's a a similar recipe. I never put celery in mine and I preferred green onion in this salad.   

Ingredients

• 1 head lettuce shredded
  • 1/2 cup red onion diced
  • 2-3 celery ribs sliced (about 1 cup)
  • 12 ounces frozen peas thawed
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 pound bacon fried and crumbled
Instructions
  • Spread the lettuce evenly in the bottom of a glass bowl. Top with red onion, celery, and peas.
  • Spread mayonnaise on top of celery and sprinkle with sugar. Top with cheddar cheese and bacon. Cover and chill.

Trusted Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I enjoy iceberg lettuce for its crispness and the fact that it lasts longer than some other lettuces.  And while it's not the highest in nutritional value, it definitely has some.  I just finished reading about them after a web search.

Thanks for posting this. Not everything we eat is at the highest level of nutrients. Iceburg lettuce is healthy. At the very least, it is full of water and works as a stool softener. Plus--it is unmatched in lettuces in its crispness.

Esteemed Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Im not raining on your parade, but for general information iceberg lettuce has no nutritional value.  Me personally I dont care but some folks might.  I eat it anyway.  Thanks for the recipe.

Iceberg lettuce is an excellent source of potassium and manganese. It also contains significant amounts of iron, calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus, as well as small traces of sodium, copper, and zinc. This lettuce is rich in vitamin A, K, C, thiamin, vitamin B6, and folate (vitamin B9). It contains 14 calories per 100 grams. Water and dietary fiber make up most of it. It has a very low content of sodium, saturated fat, and cholesterol. 

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.