Honored Contributor

Iceberg Lettuce Recipe (great for summer)

Here is a recipe for Iceberg lettuce that's a nice compliment to grilled chicken or steak.

Iceberg Lettuce Wedges w/Blue Cheese

One Icebergy Lettuce cut into four wedges.

1 T Dijon mustard

3 T White Wine Vinegar

1/2 c extra Virgin Olive Oil

salt & pepper to taste

4 oz. Crumbled Blue Cheese

Combine:  mustard, vinegar, half of the blue cheese in a bowl.  Mix lightly.  Add the Olive oil and salt & pepper.  Whisk.  Pour over each wedge and top each wedge with the remaining blue cheese.  If you like blue cheese you will enjoy this simple recipe.

I have another receipe with Iceberg lettuce that is great around the Christmas holidays with fruit.  If you would like it, let me know.  It goes well with ham and twice baked potatoes.

kindness is strength
Occasional Contributor

Re: Iceberg Lettuce Recipe (great for summer)

Your recipe sounds delicious. Please post the other one too!

Honored Contributor

Im not raining on your parade, but for general information iceberg lettuce has no nutritional value.  Me personally I dont care but some folks might.  I eat it anyway.  Thanks for the recipe.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Valued Contributor

Another simple iceberg salad is chopped head of iceberg, small can of shrimp, Italian dressing and shredded parmesan. Love this one in the summer. It is just as good with romaine if you prefer that

cookin

Honored Contributor

Seven layer salad was always a favorite at potlucks. In fact, I'm going to get a head of lettuce and make it for us soon. I'm not sure what all the layers are, but hard boiled eggs, bacon, frozen peas, cheese and onion will all be a part of my salad.

Trusted Contributor

@Katcat1  Thank you for sharing.  That sounds delicious.  And the dressing will be a snap to make.  

Honored Contributor

I enjoy iceberg lettuce for its crispness and the fact that it lasts longer than some other lettuces.  And while it's not the highest in nutritional value, it definitely has some.  I just finished reading about them after a web search.

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I enjoy iceberg lettuce for its crispness and the fact that it lasts longer than some other lettuces.  And while it's not the highest in nutritional value, it definitely has some.  I just finished reading about them after a web search.

@Krimpette 

I get a very long time with romaine.  I buy whole, rince, cover the sink with paper towels, and start stripping leaves, tearing into bite sized pieces as I drop them in a salad spinner.  I spin the heck out of it, chill, and we have salad mixed with iceburg for dinner.

I get a 1 gal zip lock, put a paper towel on one side and the rest of the romaine.  I put the romane in, seal, lightly forcing out the air, and put in the greens drawer.  I'm good for 1 1/2 weeks.

Respected Contributor

@River Walk Diva wrote:

Your recipe sounds delicious. Please post the other one too!

@Katcat1  I would love to have the other one too.

Honored Contributor

@River Walk Diva      @tiny 2    I can't locate iceburg/fruit salad but this one is really good too.

Mandarin Orange/Almond Salad

One head Romaine lettuce cleaned and tear pieces

Slivered almonds

1 can Mandarin oranges drained

green onions chopped (use the green part too)

Salad Dressing

1/4 c oil (vegetable oil)

2 T vinegar

1 to 2 T sugar (you want the dressing to be sweet)

1/2 t salt

1 t Italian seasoning

Prepare in advance and refrigerate

Mix your lettuce, oranges, green onions and almonds together and pour dressing over and toss.

kindness is strength