Esteemed Contributor

ITALIAN ROASTED POTATOES...?

Last week went to a company luncheon in the "Italian section" of the city.  Needless to say the food was delish!

However, I'm still craving the Italian roasted potatoes along with some green beans -yum! I don't want to make a roast but would like the same moist roasted potatoes.  If I just roast them on a sheet pan, it just won't come out the same as I find roasting that way somewhat drying.  So, was thinking of cooking them in some beef broth.  

Your ideas and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you.

Honored Contributor

Re: ITALIAN ROASTED POTATOES...?

I love potatoes cooked in the same Au Jus that I use for prime rib or French dip roast beef sandwiches.

I just buy it in the dry packages in the gravy section.

We do like it a bit richer, so I usually only add 2-2.5 cups of water, instead of 3.

If you like mushrooms, add some sliced fresh mushrooms too, while the potatoes are cooking.

Delish!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

Last week went to a company luncheon in the "Italian section" of the city.  Needless to say the food was delish!

However, I'm still craving the Italian roasted potatoes along with some green beans -yum! I don't want to make a roast but would like the same moist roasted potatoes.  If I just roast them on a sheet pan, it just won't come out the same as I find roasting that way somewhat drying.  So, was thinking of cooking them in some beef broth.  

Your ideas and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you.

I wouldn't do that will turn into a soupy mess

I do roasted potatoes like this cut up and toss with some oil and whatever herbs you like

this is the important part, NO non stick pans, will not be crisp and roasted

I have an old sheet pan that is perfectly seasoned to a black finish and the potatoes are perfect when cooked on it. 

Honored Contributor

I am Italian. My family would roast them w/the chicken. Also add a splash of wine vinegar.

Best potatoes,ever. Today I would just roast them w/olive oil.salt and pepper and that splash of vinegar. Sometimes it helps to par boil the potatoes.

What the heck is the "Italian Section"? 

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

I am Italian. My family would roast them w/the chicken. Also add a splash of wine vinegar.

Best potatoes,ever. Today I would just roast them w/olive oil.salt and pepper and that splash of vinegar. Sometimes it helps to par boil the potatoes.

Like Little Italy or the North End ?

Honored Contributor

When I roast my potatoes I mix olive oil, dried garlic powder, dried italian seasoning and some butter, S&P, mix that up, coat the potatoes with it.  Put them in the oven for 30 min, stir potatoes around the turn them over and roast for another 30 min.  They turn out good and not dried out.  I use a 9x13 glass baking dish.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I frequently roast baby gold potatoes with Italian herbs in a sheet pan.

I always line the pan with foil, sometimes using Reynolds Nonstick Foil--only because I'm too lazy to scrub a metal pan

The  potatoes are well-coated with olive oil, some coarse salt and an Italian seasoning blend, then left to sit and absorb the oil and seasoning for an hour or so before roasting.  They might get basted  or rolled around slightly in the pan juices at least once while roasting.

I usually roast them along with green beans and/or carrots, and sometimes put a pork tenderloin roast and thick slices of onion in the same pan.

If the oven is set to at least 400 degrees or above, the potatoes come out crispy.  We love them whether they're crispy or not.

Respected Contributor

A simple way is to use an oil based Italian salad dressing. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Like Little Italy or the North End ?

@jackthebear  That’s what I thought.

Esteemed Contributor

@jackthebear, @hollysunshine

The Italian section is like Little Italy and the North End in Worcester, MA.  It's where the Italian immigrants settled and remained when they came over from Italy.

In Worcester various people tended to settle in various areas, e.g., Water St is where the Jewish people settled; Millbury St., the Polish; etc.  And, each area is noted for special delights - foods you'd never get in restaurant chains nor ingredients one could find in grocery stores.  So even though we're a blended society those areas is where you'll find the delicious 'old-world' foods.