Re: ITALIAN ROASTED POTATOES...?

I get the bag of little potatoes at Costco

they are so good cooked like this

hot cold whatever

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@jackthebear, @hollysunshine

The Italian section is like Little Italy and the North End in Worcester, MA.  It's where the Italian immigrants settled and remained when they came over from Italy.

In Worcester various people tended to settle in various areas, e.g., Water St is where the Jewish people settled; Millbury St., the Polish; etc.  And, each area is noted for special delights - foods you'd never get in restaurant chains nor ingredients one could find in grocery stores.  So even though we're a blended society those areas is where you'll find the delicious 'old-world' foods.

I grew up in that area of Mass, so I know exactly what you mean

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@jackthebear, @hollysunshine

The Italian section is like Little Italy and the North End in Worcester, MA.  It's where the Italian immigrants settled and remained when they came over from Italy.

In Worcester various people tended to settle in various areas, e.g., Water St is where the Jewish people settled; Millbury St., the Polish; etc.  And, each area is noted for special delights - foods you'd never get in restaurant chains nor ingredients one could find in grocery stores.  So even though we're a blended society those areas is where you'll find the delicious 'old-world' foods.

I grew up in that area of Mass, so I know exactly what you mean

@jackthebear @eddyandme  I used to work in Worcester and lived in Millbury.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I discovered a seasoning blend that I think works better in my potatoes than trying to mix my own herbs.

McCormick Gourmet Organic Italian Seasoning.

Contains marjoram, rosemary, basil, thyme, savory and oregano.

Honored Contributor

Just wondering at what degrees you roast them ?

Super Contributor

I’ve heard of the North End in Boston,but not Worcester.  Are you sure about that?

Esteemed Contributor

@jackthebear@proudlyfromNJ 

I now live in my childhood home - in MILLBURY!!

It was a National Grid retirement Luncheon I attended at Leo's Restaurant on Shrewbury St.  I'm sure you both are familiar with Leo's - it's' probably older than we are!

If you haven't been back here you wouldn't believe the traffic, et al.  U-Mass Medical Center is huge and between the hospital et al taking up a large section of Rte 9 area. Our Lady of Mount Carmel is being torn down! So the parking for Leo's is horrible - they've moved from exactly on Shrewsbury St and share the Mount Carmel parking lot!  But their food is still yummy! A friend of mine, who also worked at NG(Massachusetts Electric), has to drive her 97year-old mother by the church once a week - she looks at the destruction and cries - her parents helped build that church!  On a happier note:  the Pawtucket minor league is moving to the City.  They'll be a huge ballpark constructed, hotels, etc.  Don't know exactly the location - hope they leave Millbury and Water Streets alone!

@proudlyfromNJ, I have relatives in Jersey - Somerville area - ever hear of Petrocks? 

Well. small world - let me know if you people ever come out this way as we'll have to meet!Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Serena Sue wrote:

I’ve heard of the North End in Boston,but not Worcester.  Are you sure about that?

It's not the North End.  It's similar to the North End with businesses and residents, @Serena Sue .  Sorry didn't mean to give you the wrong impression.

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

Just wondering at what degrees you roast them ?

My roasting book says 475*, but I find that hot.  Perhaps 450*.  I think I'll slow roast the potatoes at 400*.  I'm not a real cook though, @Judaline .

Honored Contributor

I roast potatoes with meat.  I always use those little red potatoes.  When the roast is Half way done, I throw the potatoes in the pan in the pan drippings.  I add salt and pepper and sometimes garlic and roast them until they are soft.

Then I remove the cooked roast from the pan and leave the potatoes in there and turn the oven up and put the potatoes back in.  I roast them until the pan juices are all incorporated into the potatoes and they are golden brown.  Stir them to keep them coated with the drippings.

I do this all the time when I make a lamb roast.  I have already put three lbs of potatoes in the pan and everyone of them was gobbled up.  People go crazy for these potatoes.

You need to use pan drippings to make them really good. I sometime roast them with olive oil and seasonings , but they are not the same or as good.