Respected Contributor

ISO: Your fav. go to rolled sugar cookie recipe and buttercream frosting

Thanks for your help. 😊 😊 😊 

Trusted Contributor

Re: ISO: Your fav. go to rolled sugar cookie recipe and buttercream frosting

Sorry, not personally Tried and True, but your post reminded me that I wanted to look up the online recipe for the adorable Polar Bear and Llama  sugar cookies featured on the December 2017 Woman's Day Magazine cover.  Here's their recipe for comparison with someone else's TnT.

Basic Sugar Cookies

By Woman's Day Kitchen

Use this basic sugar cookie recipe as a base for all your cookies this season.

Total Time: 0:40 Prep: 0:25  Level: Moderate   Yield: 50

2¾ c. all-purpose flour
½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. kosher salt
1 c. unsalted butter
¾ c. granulated sugar
1 large egg
1½ tsp. pure vanilla extract

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.  Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the egg and then the vanilla.

Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture, mixing just until incorporated. Shape the dough into 4 disks and roll each between 2 sheets of wax paper to 1/8 inch thick. Chill until firm, 30 minutes in the refrigerator or 15 minutes in the freezer.

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Using floured cookie cutters, cut out cookies. Place on the prepared sheets. Reroll, chill, and cut the scraps.

Bake, rotating the positions of the pans halfway through, until the cookies are lightly golden brown around the edges, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on the sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

Royal Icing

This simple but essential icing can be used to decorate an array of beautiful desserts, from cookies to cakes and everything in between.

3 large egg whites
½ tsp. cream of tartar
1 lb. confectioners' sugar

Using an electric mixer, whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar on medium-high speed in a large bowl until foamy, about 1 minute.

Reduce the speed to low and gradually add the sugar, beating until just incorporated. Increase the speed to high and beat until medium-stiff glossy peaks form, 5 to 7 minutes.

(I know you said you wanted Buttercream, but the Royal Icing was featured in WD for the Polar Bears.)

Trusted Contributor

This is my go to recipe for many years, and everyone requests these cutouts. 

This recipe makes alot of cutouts.

3 cups salted butter

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar

9 tbsp. powdered sugar

3 eggs

3 tsp vanilla

6 cups flour

1/2 tsp salt

cream butter, then add both sugars, vanilla, eggs, and salt,  mix well then add flour and mix till combined.  I use my kitchenaid mixer and it handles this no problem.  I roll out the dough in between two sheets of waxed paper, roll to desired thickness.  After years of making these I can eyeball how much dough to put between the waxed paper.  I stack the layers on a cookie sheet and refrigerate overnight.  The next day I pull out one sheet at a time just pull the top layer of wax paper off and make my cutouts.  I use a spatula to get uner the cutout if the dough starts to soften.  I have a small kitchen so there is less mess this way. If the dough starts to get to soft I just put back in the fridge.  Bake on parchment paper at 325 degrees for 15 minutes, until edges lightly browned.

I frost with buttercream frosting

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

1-2-3- Sugar Cookies 

Ingredients

1 stick butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour       
1 teaspoon baking powder       
1/2 teaspoon salt     

or use 3 cups SR flour  (omit BP & Salt)

Measure the flour, salt and baking powder into a bowl, mix and set aside.  In a large bowl, cream together the softened butter and the sugar. Once smooth, add the eggs, vanilla and combine well. Add the flour mixture to the butter / egg mixture a little at a time. Mix until the dough is smooth and flour is fully incorporated.  Cover the dough with plastic wrap so that it is touching the surface of the dough. Chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Overnight is fine too. If you want to freeze the dough, you can do so at this stage.

Rolled Sugar Cookies By Glorious Treats

Ingredients

• 3 cups flour
  • 1 TSP baking powder
  • 1 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 TSP vanilla extract
  •  

Instructions

1. In a separate bowl whisk together flour and baking powder.
  2. Beat together unsalted butter and sugar. Once mixed well, add in egg. Mix again, then add in vanilla. I like to use my Kitchen aid and dough hook.
  3. Slowly add in flour mixture about a cup at a time. Mix until dough forms and begins to clump together.
  4. Gather up dough and knead it with hands until it's nice and smooth. Roll it into a ball, wrap with plastic wrap, and place in fridge to chill. I like to let min chill about 20-40 minutes. You will want it to be kind of firm but not hard. If it's too hard...just leave it out on the counter for just a little bit until it softens up. Then you can work it a little bit to soften it back up.
  5. Bake at 350, time will depend on cookies size and thickness. Normally between 7-11 minutes.

They never lasted long enough to get frosted!

Can be made as almond or lemon by substituting for vanilla!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hayseed00 wrote:

This is my go to recipe for many years, and everyone requests these cutouts. 

This recipe makes alot of cutouts.

3 cups salted butter

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar

9 tbsp. powdered sugar

3 eggs

3 tsp vanilla

6 cups flour

1/2 tsp salt

Hi Hayseed. Smiley Happy

My fridge won't fit baking sheets (I have too much stuff in it!). Can I separate the dough into a few balls, flatten them, put in plastic wrap, then chill overnight? I know it's harder to roll out this way, & they need to be at room temp for a few minutes

I like your basic ingredients. I'll bet this is similar to the recipe my mom used. I LOVE a good cut-out cookie. Heart Btw, are these a more crisp cookie? That's what I like, & it's seems like they would be. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like the addition of almond extract and cream cheese in this recipe:

3 1/2 cups flour

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1 cup butter

1 1/4 cups sugar

1/4 cup cream cheese

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 tsp almond extract

1 egg

Whisk flour, baking powder and soda, and salt in bowl.  Cream butter, cream cheese, and sugar until fluffy.  Beat in extracts and egg.  Add flour mixture until moistened.  

Place dough in plastic storage bag, flatten into a disk, and chill in fridge for 1 hour.  Roll out to 1/4 inch thickness, cut into shapes, and place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheet.  Bake at 375 degrees for 8 minutes.  Cool on sheet for 5 minutes, then move to wire rack.

1 cup softened butter

1 tsp vanilla extract

4 cups powdered sugar

2-6 tbsps heavy cream (yummy and rich if you have it), half and half, or milk

Beat butter and extract with electric mixer until creamy.  Mix in sugar 1/2 cup at a time. Mix in cream to desired consistency.  Whip until fluffy. 

Trusted Contributor

Yes you can refrigerate them in seperate dough balls and wrap overnight.  I roll my dough out so the cookies are just a little thicker, but you can def  roll out thinner for a crispier cookie.  You won't be dissapointed, these are so good.

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

1 cup softened butter

1 tsp vanilla extract

4 cups powdered sugar

2-6 tbsps heavy cream (yummy and rich if you have it), half and half, or milk

Beat butter and extract with electric mixer until creamy.  Mix in sugar 1/2 cup at a time. Mix in cream to desired consistency.  Whip until fluffy. 

Perfect- YUM! Smiley Happy