Respected Contributor

Re: ISO ~ Ways to Use Horseradish

In deviled eggs.
Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@mustang66lady wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

I stumbled on some cheese that had horseradish and I used in baked macaroni and cheesea, which turned out to be quite delicious.  What are some some good ways to incorporate it otherwise?

We live near Collinsville, Il which is the horseradish capital of the world!   We use horseradish in a lot of things.  If you have cheese that contains it, just use it like you would any cheese and would like the "bite" of the horseradish.  Place it on your burger for a new taste, use it in salads, sandwiches, salads, eggs, etc.   A slice on a roast beef sandwich would be devine as would on a cheesesteak sandwich.   You know the bite of the cheese you have, so if you think it will pair well with something, give it a try.  We use horseradish in many things here and cheese that has it in it, would be a grand thing!  It can be quite hot so be careful until you get the feel of what you have. 

@mustang66lady - we have some good friends who live in Collinsville.  I neve knew it was the horseradish capital.  I like it on a roast beef & rye sandwich myself.  Lawry's The Prime Rib restaurant has a delicious horseradish whipped cream for prime rib that's really good too.  The recipe is on their website.

I also use it when I make cocktail sauce and sometimes add a little to homemade coleslaw.

@JeanLouiseFinch

Well it is a small world, isn't it?!  I believe the annual Horseradish Festival (yes there really is such a thing Woman Very Happy) is next weekend.  https://www.internationalhorseradishfestival.com/ 

The local university, SIU-E is probably the closest crop to where we live.  Interestingly enough, the land it is grown on, contains many artifacts.  One of our daughters majored in archeology and did a dig in one of those very fields.  They uncovered quite a bit.  Her professor said there was enough for them to discover for at least 20 years.   When the horseradish grows, it looks like a giant weed and to me, always appears to be wilting. 

We use it  in quite a bit of things including what you mentioned above.  Can't imagine prime rib without some horseradish sauce to go with.  That horseradish whipped cream sounds wonderful and would probably be great on a baked potato.    And we love it in cocktail sauce.  I usually make Ina Garten's recipe but add more horseradish!  Woman Wink  If a recipe calls for mayo, there's most likely going to be some horesradish added as well!

Contributor

I like to put about a tablespoon of horseradish in meatloaf.  Yum!  Just the right amount of zing!