Trusted Contributor

Re: ISO ~ Ways to Use Horseradish

I like it mixed with mayo on a roast beef sandwich, I eat it on ham. I think some use it bloody marys.

I like cooper cheese with black pepper in it. Buts it's hard to find around here.

I think if I had horseradish cheese I'd try a toasted cheese sandwich.

Contributor

I like a small amount of horseradish mixed with sour cream served with prime rib...Yum

Honored Contributor

I have a  casserole recipe I love that uses cabbage, sour cream and horseradish. I'm pretty smitten with horseradish along with wasabi and spicy mustards. 

Esteemed Contributor

@GenXmuse

Can you please post your full cassarole recipe? (It can't be any more unconventional than mine!) Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Absolutely!

Low-Carb Twice-Cooked Cabbage with Sour Cream and Bacon

Ingredients:
4 slices thick-sliced bacon, cut into thin strips (can use turkey or veggie)
2 tsp. olive oil or bacon fat (more or less, depending on your pan)
1/4 yellow onion, finely minced
1large head of cabbage (2 pounds) core cut out and cut into thin strips
1/2 tsp. sweet paprika
1 Tbsp Horseradish or to taste
salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
1 cup sour cream (Full fat)
3/4 cup grated Mozzarella cheese (low-fat or regular)

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 375F

Slice the bacon.

Cut the core out of the cabbage and cut it into thin strips. (I use a mandoline slicer to slice the cabbage.)

Mince the onion.

Heat a small frying pan over medium high heat, add the strips of bacon, and cook until the bacon is browned and very crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels.

Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil (or a little bacon fat if you prefer) in the largest frying pan you have, add the minced onion, and cook over medium-high heat until it's barely starting to brown.

Add the sliced cabbage, season with paprika, horseradish, salt, and pepper, and cook just until it has softened partly. Then add the crisp bacon pieces, stir to combine with the cabbage, and cook 1-2 minutes more to combine flavors.

Spray a glass baking dish with olive oil or non-stick spray. (The oval glass dish I used was 13" x 10" at the widest parts.) Put the sauteed cabbage in the casserole dish and spread the sour cream over, then sprinkle with the grated Mozzarella.

Bake about 30 minutes, or until it's bubbling hot and the top is nicely browned. Serve hot.

Honored Contributor

Ok @GenXmuse I did not see the mozzarella coming in at the end but I am all in . . . thanks for taking the time to post this delicious recipe!

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

Ok @GenXmuse I did not see the mozzarella coming in at the end but I am all in . . . thanks for taking the time to post this delicious recipe!

You're welcome. Yeah, certainly not in most cabbage recipes but it helps bring the casserole together!

Esteemed Contributor

@GenXmuse

Thank you very much for posting! That sounds really good!

Honored Contributor

@Harpa Always glad to share!

Honored Contributor

@mustang66lady wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

I stumbled on some cheese that had horseradish and I used in baked macaroni and cheesea, which turned out to be quite delicious.  What are some some good ways to incorporate it otherwise?

We live near Collinsville, Il which is the horseradish capital of the world!   We use horseradish in a lot of things.  If you have cheese that contains it, just use it like you would any cheese and would like the "bite" of the horseradish.  Place it on your burger for a new taste, use it in salads, sandwiches, salads, eggs, etc.   A slice on a roast beef sandwich would be devine as would on a cheesesteak sandwich.   You know the bite of the cheese you have, so if you think it will pair well with something, give it a try.  We use horseradish in many things here and cheese that has it in it, would be a grand thing!  It can be quite hot so be careful until you get the feel of what you have. 

@mustang66lady - we have some good friends who live in Collinsville.  I neve knew it was the horseradish capital.  I like it on a roast beef & rye sandwich myself.  Lawry's The Prime Rib restaurant has a delicious horseradish whipped cream for prime rib that's really good too.  The recipe is on their website.

I also use it when I make cocktail sauce and sometimes add a little to homemade coleslaw.