Valued Contributor

ISO -Sour Cream sauce cake recipe

Tried a cake at a get together that I loved. The lady called it sour cream sauce cake.  It’s basically a yellow cake with this sauce on top of it.  Looked like the color of caramel or butterscotch, but didn’t have either of those tastes. I asked for the recipe but she wouldn’t give it.  I’ve googled but couldn’t come up with anything. She did tell me that the sauce has sour cream in it.  Had anybody ever had it or knows what I’m talking about??!  It’s my idea of a good cake bc it didn’t have the typical icing.  TIA. 

Honored Contributor

Re: ISO -Sour Cream sauce cake recipe

This is a buttermilk glaze that I use on pound cakes, apple cakes and more.

It's really good on all.

GLAZE:

3/4 c sugar
1/2 c margarine or butter
1/4 c buttermilk
1 Tbsp light corn syrup
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp real vanilla extract

combine all the glaze ingredients except the vanilla in a medium pan. Stir and cook to to a rolling boil. Remove from heat and add 1 teaspoon of vanilla.

Pour and spread glaze over hot cake as soon as the cake is removed from the oven.

Let cake cool completely before serving. The longer it sits, the better it gets!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@Glitter51

Here's a recipe that has what sounds like the color you're looking for.  Don't know about the taste....

INGREDIENTS
    • 1 1/2 cups sour cream
    • 3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
    • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

PREPARATION
    1. In a small bowl stir together all ingredients until smooth. Sour cream keeps, covered and chilled, 1 week.

YIELD  Makes about 1 2/3 cups

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a recipe for a sour cream sauce but it is only the color of caramel due to the vanilla.  

1/3 cup butter, softened

1 cup powdered sugar

1/2 cup sour cream

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1/4 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)

Cream butter and sugar with electric mixer until smooth.  Add sour cream, vanilla and lemon juice if using.  Cover and chill until ready to use.  I just smear it all over my cake.  I have used white cake, yellow cake, and i actually used a strawberry cake as well.   Hope this helps.  Not sure what the taste was.  FYI:  I hardly ever use the lemon but that's totally up to your taste.  You are welcome.  I forgot to tell you that if you don't use lemon juice, make 3/4 teaspoon of vanilla.  If that isn't liquid enough for you choice, add more sour cream.  Hope something works for you. 

Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I’m gonna try them!!!