Honored Contributor

ISO Looking for an old Southern Living Christmas Book Turnip Casserole recipe

A cousin of mine served a turnip casserole a long time ago, and she said, I remember, it had a little cream of wheat in it as a thickener.  It was great! 

I think it came out of some old Southern Living recipe book or some similiar cookbook I think.  She doesn't have it any more, and I've looked online and haven't seen it.  Anyone out there familiar with it?  It was from quite some time ago. . . 

I had someone here supply one close to it once, but it was different.  This was really good!  Imagine!  GOOD turnips!  LOL!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: ISO Looking for an old Southern Living Christmas Book Turnip Casserole recipe

Just cruising online, was this sweet? Savory?

Honored Contributor

Re: ISO Looking for an old Southern Living Christmas Book Turnip Casserole recipe

Turnip Fluff

2 lbs turnips, peeled and cubed
1/4 c. light cream
1 egg beaten
1/4 c. light brown sugar
2 T uncooked cream of wheat
2 T melted butter
salt and pepper to taste
Cook turnips in 1 inch of boiling salt water; drain and mash. Add remaining ingredients and blend well. Put in a lightly greased casserole. Bake in a preheated oven at 350º for 40 minutes.
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45   @Snowpuppy

I am almost certain that is it!  It was really so good and I am not a big fan of turnips!  

Where on earth did you find this Sunshine45?  I've googled it so many times but never came  up with the cream of wheat.  The ones I've seen didn't have that.  

I can't wait to try it now!  Gotta go buy turnips!

Woman Wink  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@sunshine45   @Snowpuppy

I am almost certain that is it!  It was really so good and I am not a big fan of turnips!  

Where on earth did you find this Sunshine45?  I've googled it so many times but never came  up with the cream of wheat.  The ones I've seen didn't have that.  

Woman Wink  Woman LOL

https://familycookbookproject.com/recipe/2229940/turnip-fluff.html

it was not that easy to find, but i kept digging. LOL

i had never heard of it before.

i was going to go through some of my old southern living magazines, but finally found it. i have a lot of the older southern living magazines because we have "family favorites" from them that we still make today.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@sunshine45   @Snowpuppy

Woman Wink  Woman LOL

https://familycookbookproject.com/recipe/2229940/turnip-fluff.html

it was not that easy to find, but i kept digging. LOL

i had never heard of it before.

i was going to go through some of my old southern living magazines, but finally found it. i have a lot of the older southern living magazines because we have "family favorites" from them that we still make today.

@sunshine45  Well you made me happy today!  What a perfect fall and winter side dish!  It's different, it's easy, and it's good!  I have had some made with breadcrumbs, but I always thought this was the best!

MANY thanks again!  My family has a good many SL treasured recipes too.  They are THE best!

Valued Contributor

If only my dear sweet Mom was still alive.  She loved turnips.  I will have to try this in her honor.  That's the only reason I take the magazine!