Respected Contributor

I know there are millions of recipes on-line, but I'm hoping someone can share their tried and true recipe for French Toast.  One that uses whole slices of bread, not torn slices, and is oven-baked.  

Trusted Contributor

@coffee drinker This recipe is from America's Test Kitchen.  It might work for you.

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/videos/4276-everyday-french-toast

~Jersey Girls don't pump gas~
Respected Contributor

Thank you so much @newjerseygirl for that video.  I believe I saw that episode, but just didn't remember it.  Such an easy recipe and solution.  I may have to try it.  Thanks, again. 

Respected Contributor

I have made French toast for years and I use "Texas toast" because it is much thicker than regular bread. (You can find a recipe for the milk/egg mix anywhere.) I think the technique is much more important, I heat veg. oil in a large skillet that will fit 4 pieces (enough oil that will cover the bottom of a pan).

I just dunk the 4 bread slices in the egg mixture, and place them in the hot oil in the pan. (you want the oil hot enough that it starts cooking immediately.) They have to be watched closely, checking when to turn over. This browns the French toast beautifully. I have a cookie sheet in the oven set at 300 where I place the cooked French toast.

Depending on how many people you need to feed, you can put another four pieces in the pan and simply repeat. I also add a little bit more oil between batches and allow it to get hot just in case you need it. The oven can hold the FT a half hour easily and it even crisps it up even more. It really is delicious. I dust the French toast with confectionery sugar right before I serve it. Last rule -  I always warm the plates up and I always serve hot maple syrup. 

Honored Contributor

@newjerseygirl wrote:

@coffee drinker This recipe is from America's Test Kitchen.  It might work for you.

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/videos/4276-everyday-french-toast

@newjerseygirl @Great recipe. Thank you. Looks like it is so much less messy.

Honored Contributor

Re: ISO French Toast Recipe

[ Edited ]

My DH loves french toast.  I like to use a loaf of unsliced homemade style bread.  I cut slices on the diagonal about one inch thick.

I dunk the bread into a mixture of egg with milk, sugar and cinnamon, vanilla extract and fry the bread in a light tasting oil until it is golden brown on both sides.

My DH always  smears the toast with apple butter.

Valued Contributor

Re: ISO French Toast Recipe

[ Edited ]

@coffee drinker 

Baked French Toast

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 loaf Texas sliced white bread
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 1 Tbsp. vanilla
  • 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon

Grease a 9 x 13 pan.

Combine melted butter and 1 cup brown sugar in a small bowl and then spread into the bottom of your prepared 9×13 pan.

Beat together eggs, milk, and vanilla. Set aside. Mix together 2 Tbsp. brown sugar and 2 tsp. cinnamon in another bowl and set aside.

Put one layer of bread on top of butter and brown sugar mixture. Make sure the whole bottom of the pan is covered. Then pour half of your egg mixture on top of bread layer and sprinkle with half of the brown sugar and cinnamon mixture.

Add another layer of bread. Pour the rest of the egg mixture on top and sprinkle with the rest of the cinnamon and brown sugar mixture. Cover tightly and chill in refrigerator overnight.

In the morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake french toast covered for 30 minutes and then uncovered for 10-15 more minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar just before serving if desired.

Respected Contributor

@Reconnaissant @Carmie @Bhvbum thank you all for taking time to post your recipes.  Still haven't decided which one I'll make for our "week after Easter" brunch.  Reason for that is both DH and I will be fully vaccinated and past that 2 week period for full effectiveness.