Respected Contributor

I wanted to make a chicken pot pie today using the instant pot and finishing the biscuit topping on top, in the oven.  Most online IP CPP recipes cheat by tossing on already finished biscuits on the serving plate, even the store-bought refrigerated kind.  I wanted something closer to old-school pot pie, only made fast.

I found a recipe at a site called "The Spruce Eats".  It was involved so I chose to cut some time, not follow their biscuit directions, and used Bisquick biscuit drop batter.  It was delicious but I'm not sure it was a more simple way with the roux (to thicken the Instant Pot liquid) made separately on the stove top.  

I turned the oven temp up higher and shortened the baking time considerably as the inside of the pie was already well cooked by the Instant Pot.  If I make it again I'll adjust IP cooking time to accomodate bite size cuts of vegetables and chicken.  The recipe called for large cuts but I'd made them smaller.

The funny part was I was tired and inadvertently moved the Bisquick box after I'd measured the dry mix, then I followed the pancake directions instead of biscuits on the end of the box.  I saw that the batter was way too thin for biscuits, realized what I'd done and added more mix to a biscuit consistency.  Still tasty even with eggs in it.  I jokingly asked DH if he wanted syrup on his.

Anyway, I think, with practice, you can speed up a chicken pot pie and get top notch results.

Honored Contributor

Re: INSTANT POT CHICKEN POT PIE

@Free2be.   It sounds very tasty, although somewhst involved.  One of my favorite things to make in my PC is chicken and dumplings (the fluffy biscuit kind).

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I plan to make IP chicken and dumplings one day, too.  I intend to try new recipes using the IP but lots of other recipes after boxing up shelves of cookbooks I'll never use, I want to use the ones I've kept.  Dumplings are wonderful!

Honored Contributor

I rarely buy biscuits since I taught foods, but the Sister Schuberts products are exceptional.

Image result for sister schubert biscuits

Related image

Respected Contributor

I make my own pot pie filling , boiling chicken with spices, then sauteed onions, carrots, potatoes and mushrooms in butter. I add the cooked chicken, diced, or shredded with the stock , some milk, flour, seasonings and Cognac.
Cook till thickened and pour into ramekins.
For the crust, I butter the rims on ramekins and place puff pastry on top. Peirce or cut a hole to let steam out...top with pat of butter, salt/pepper.
Bake on preheated oven 400. Make sure you have bread for dipping 😋
I also freeze these....wrap very well in wax paper, then saran, then foil. Defrost at room temp before baking. Really wonderful comfort dish.
Respected Contributor

Try puffed pasty on top. Cut the sheets in squares and place on top. I butter the edges of my ramekins first. You can do this on pie plates too. I brush the pastry with an egg wash, then top with a pat of butter, salt/pepper. Bake at 400.
I left a basic recipe here for filling too.