Honored Contributor

I've sure missed my recipe forum friends 😢

[ Edited ]

It's been quite a summer so far. DH and I left California on June 5th, with our two kitties and arrived in North Carolina on June 10th.  There were delays in the construction of our house, so we spent several weeks in a hotel. 

We closed on the house last week, but my gas stove is not operational.  It seems we were supposed to notify the gas company four weeks in advance so they could hook things up... now I'm waiting two more weeks to have an oven and stove. 

That will make it roughly TWO FULL MONTHS SINCE I'VE BAKED OR COOKED ANYTHING AND IT'S MAKING ME NUTS!  In addition to that, I miss the comradery of my recipe forum friends. Aside from the stove not being usable, I've gotten my kitchen almost completely set up and I'm looking forward to spending more time here on the boards with all of you.

I hope everyone is well and enjoying the summer.

Oh! I almost forgot the best part! I have a brand new baby granddaughter! She was born a full month early but is healthy and beautiful.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

Re: I've sure missed my recipe forum friends 😢

Congratulations on your new granddaughter!  I don't post a lot but I like to read the forums and I missed your posts.   Wishing you health and happiness in your new home and state.

Honored Contributor

Welcome back , soon you'll be baking in your brand new home !  You can start planning all the delicious recipes that you will make !  🥮🧁🍰🎂🥧🍪

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

What a adventure of sorts you are having this summer. Hope you will be cooking in your new kitchen soon and congratulations on your new grand baby. A blessing for your home,normally I would deliver these items to you and recite this, alas I can not so let's pretend .....

🥖 BREAD

that this house may never 

know hunger

🧂 SALT

that life may 

always have flavor

🍷WINE

that joy and prosperity 

may reign forever 

Respected Contributor

@house_cat   Well, you have had quite the adventure.  

Congratulations on your retirement, cross country move to your new home, and the early, but healthy arrival of a granddaughter.

I hope the gas company will surprise you and be able to come sooner to hook your stove up.  If not, then just hope they will do a professionnal, safe job.

It takes a while to settle in and figure out how to place furniture  and arrange a kitchen to one's satisfaction.  

I am still rearranging things in my  kitchen and I moved into this townhouse in early January--only two blocks from the prior rental--but it was a Hollywood production.

You have been missed.  Was so happy to see this post and your others.  Welcome back to the east coast!

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

SO very sorry that you have had such a difficult time!  My goodness, the stress of moving is difficult in itself, isn't it?

I hope while you have been bored in the hotel you have had some times to "treasure hunt" and walk around a bit.

The Arboretum is very nice and although, you don't have to drive on the parkway, is just off the parkway system. 

If you haven't had an opportunity to visit the Fresh Market, everything in this beautiful store is yummy.  They are in north Asheville, and south Asheville.  Be sure to sign up for emails.  Their specials are one day.

Tyson's in Black Mountain has quite nice furniture if you have any of those needs.  They carry good furniture lines instead of being a store of one brand.

We have just had a Crate and Barrel Outlet open at the outlets.  The Outlets are kept beautifully clean and are groomed every morning and evening.  Lindt Chocolate is there!  Yup!

Enjoy that beautiful baby!!!  Congratulations!!!

Please let me know if I can help in any way!  I hope you enjoy your weekend.

Honored Contributor

Welcome Back here, @house_cat and best wishes to you in NC.....a good place to live.  I lived there for six years and enjoyed it.  Congratulations on your new granddaughter as well!  New beginnings for you....new home, new state and new grandparent!!!  ENJOY....(once you can cook and bake again).

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

Thanks for the suggestions. We were in a hotel for weeks, with the cats, but we had lots of opportunity for day trips and long rides on the beautiful Blue Ridge Parkway. 

We did visit the outlets and all the furniture stores there, but didn't buy anything except shoes for DH.  I prefer scouting for treasures in the antique and second-hand stores. We found a few treasures and I'm sure we'll find more - there is certainly no shortage of those stores in this part of the country and I will do my best to find each and every one!

Have you been to Regeneration Station? That was a kick.  I didn't buy anything, but it gave me some ideas for projects I can do myself. 

I did buy a kitchen table and chairs at Rooms to Go and DH bought a sofa and coffee table at Davis Furniture for his "cave". We also bought a new bed at one of the mattress outlets in Asheville.  Oh, he also bought himself a beautiful wooden glider for our porch. It was hand crafted in Amish Country and quite expensive, but he has so many neck and spine issues that it will be worth the money to keep him feeling comfortable. We got that from a little family owned furniture store in Spruce Pine.

My rocker will be a hand-me-down from his cousin and I'm fine with that. I think now it's time to stay put and unpack because we're not rich people and can't keep spending money at that rate. I think we're about set with what we have.

Anyway, we're loving life here.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

Very thankful to here you are settling in.  

Sweeten Creek Antique store gets many interesting items.  It's a few seconds north of Biltmore Village. 

I'd love to meet you next time you come to the outlets.  I'm in the ladies store to the right of Under Armor.

Stone Ridge Tavern across from the outlets is a favorite restaurant. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat 

SO sorry.  Sweeten Creek Antiques is a few seconds SOUTH of Biltmore Village. Smiley Happy

Another interesting place to visit is the "Screen Door" right behind and slightly up the hill from Biltmore Vilage.